The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rainy.2
Hey, I’m a current final year medical student and I’m more than happy to give you any advice about applying and medical school!
How did your GCSEs go? There’s a lot of stress on perfect grades but try not to put too much pressure on yourself as it’s not everything and there are many many ways to get into medical school.
Do you currently have any hobbies or regular volunteering? If not I would try and get involved in some clubs or groups, try and get involved as much you can, and start looking at medical schools you would like to apply to now as the deadlines sneak up quickly!

I ended up getting 6 9s and 3 7s for GCSE ! And I’m currently involved in debating, Phil doc, Poc Soc, bio book club, and I co run a creative writing club at my school ! I have been given the opportunity to run POC soc after January! But I really want to get a hobby where I can advance to competitions or get some type of qualification ag the end ?
Hello! I am starting preparation for my Quantitative Reasoning, what level of math is needed for the quantitative reasoning.

Thank you!!!
It's too early to prepare for the UCAT, I'd recommend starting it around 2 months before the exam as you can burn out quickly. GCSE level maths will be sufficient, timing is the hardest part of QR.
Sorry could u provide the link to the new which medschool should I apply to? Thread
Just to have a look
We need a break!
any ideas / places for volunteering. would like the best possible chance to get into medicine at oxford but i am struggling to find places due to restriction of covid.
Any programmes / summer camps that would be useful to be a part of so i can write them on my personal statement?
i don’t have straight 9s , so probably not the best idea. however, it’s just a thought. i need to go through all of my options properly and consider which ones i definitely will be accepted to , so i at least have a chance
thank you for the help!!
Hi,

I hope everyone is ok!

I am currently in Year 12 and will be applying for Medicine next year. The A-levels that I am doing are Biology, Chemistry, Economics, Religious Studies and EPQ (on stem cells). My dream is to get a place at Oxford or Imperial College. I know next year and the Summer holidays will be really stressful, so I was just wondering if anyone could recommend anything that I could do now, in order to reduce the burden and workload next year. I will be starting my work experience at a care home in January and my aim is to do this for six months. I am also trying to read as many medicine-related books as possible.

What else could I do for extra-curricular activities? If I am completely honest, I am not really a sporty person and I do not play an instrument. Are there any competitions I could take part in?

Any advice, help, or general suggestions would be so helpful and greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!
Hey, thanks so much! I will definitely use that thread in future.

I was thinking the exact same thing because it wouldn't be enjoyable and will just use up valuable time.I completely agree with that. For GCSE’s I received 10 9’s, and the main reason I'm applying to Oxford is because of the amazing neuroscience courses.
Reply 191
Im in year 12 and want to apply to medicine next year so what can I start doing now to help me for my application next year.
Get work experience, volunteer, get good mock grades.
Original post by HaniaR
Im in year 12 and want to apply to medicine next year so what can I start doing now to help me for my application next year.

Hi there.

You can, as stated above, secure work placements and volunteer. I do understand that in the current situation such placements may be difficult to obtain. There are some great online work experience opportunities such as Observe GP and Brighton and Sussex virtual work experience.

In your summer of year 12 you can prepare for UCAT and BMAT exams and thoroughly research universities to apply to as medical UCAS deadlines typically happen in mid October.

Best wishes.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Mentor05
Hi,

I hope everyone is ok!

I am currently in Year 12 and will be applying for Medicine next year. The A-levels that I am doing are Biology, Chemistry, Economics, Religious Studies and EPQ (on stem cells). My dream is to get a place at Oxford or Imperial College. I know next year and the Summer holidays will be really stressful, so I was just wondering if anyone could recommend anything that I could do now, in order to reduce the burden and workload next year. I will be starting my work experience at a care home in January and my aim is to do this for six months. I am also trying to read as many medicine-related books as possible.

What else could I do for extra-curricular activities? If I am completely honest, I am not really a sporty person and I do not play an instrument. Are there any competitions I could take part in?

Any advice, help, or general suggestions would be so helpful and greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!

Hey,

how did you manage to get work experience in a care home as all the ones i have tried said then were not taking volunteers due to covid atm :smile:
Original post by Cherrygrape1234
Hey,

how did you manage to get work experience in a care home as all the ones i have tried said then were not taking volunteers due to covid atm :smile:

its really a hit and miss to be honest - i was also fortunate enough to secure work experience at a care home back in august. i think you just got to be patient and keep on emailing care homes - you still have next summer!
I want to get into Nottingham University medical school as my first choice and currently I've just started A levels (year 12). My subjects are biology (aqa), chemistry (aqa) and mathematics (edexcel). If anyone already goes there is there any advice for what I need to do to have a better chance at getting in other than getting all A's and above?
I didn't personally apply to Nottingham but since I applied to medicine this year I did a lot of research on all the unis so hopefully this will help!

Nottingham have recently changed their selection process meaning there is a lot more weighting on the SJT section of the UCAT. Definitely aim for a band 1 as this will give you lots of extra points. They also place more emphasis on the VR section so work on this too when you start preparing!

However, since you are in year 12, I personally wouldn't recommend starting to prepare for the UCAT now as it's more important to focus on your a levels as it will burn you out starting too early!

Also, these tips will help you get an interview but I've no idea the sort of things Nottingham are looking for there as like I said, I didn't apply! (My friend applied to Lincoln though which is closely linked to Notts as they have the same course and selection process, if you like the course at Notts, definitely give them a look at as since they're newer, they have been less competitive in the past few years than Nottingam!)
Hi, I’m a year 12 student right now. I want to know when to apply for medicine and what do i need to do for the application like work experience or personal statement or grades etc. Im an international student.
Original post by Jasminzahra
Hi, I’m a year 12 student right now. I want to know when to apply for medicine and what do i need to do for the application like work experience or personal statement or grades etc. Im an international student.

You will have to sit the UCAT exam over august / September and the BMAT in September of you choose. Start revising for that 6 - 8 weeks in advance. Go to their websites for abit more information.

The deadline to apply is 15th October via UCAS (I’m not sure if this changes for international student) you will need to write a personal statement for this.

During the year you need to focus on school, get some work experience and volunteering done.

Basically until June focus on grades and work experience, then UCAT prep and personal statement.

Latest

Trending

Trending