The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by trjuetjbkjghja
I have so had enough of this. 3080 B2 in the UCAT; 12.1 in the BMAT; 4A*s at A Level; 12 9s at GCSE, tons of essays competitions, work experience and volunteering ect.... but all rejections. Seems like in the UK, all you need is a mediocre 2800 in the UCAT, easy A*AA in A Levels, and then as long as you come across as submissive and non-confrontational at the interview (such that you are an easy £14/h target for the NHS), you get an offer. Why on earth are they asking me in interviews how I think the high ethnic diversity of east London will contribute to my studies; like **** off. I do not think that I am racist, or sexist, or homophobic, I am just a morally normal person with normal communication skills. What more do I need to do to get an offer.

I probably come off as vexed, sour, ****ed ect, which are all true. But what is certain is that I am not applying to Medicine again. I am forced to take yet another gap year, but I will apply to finance and statistics and work in the City. First chance I get in my career to screw over a doctor, I will pounce. Goodbyeeeeeee.

Ahahha what a Joey, the only thing you’re gonna be studying is how to flip burgers at Maccies
Original post by LoganSnoop
Ahahha what a Joey, the only thing you’re gonna be studying is how to flip burgers at Maccies

That’s a very old insult.
Original post by Medpapa

Sounds Aussie to me
Original post by Silly_scientist
Sounds Aussie to me

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joey_Deacon

Definitely a pre woke insult
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Medpapa
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joey_Deacon

Definitely a pre woke insult

I'm not British so I guess I didn't understand the reference
Original post by Silly_scientist
I'm not British so I guess I didn't understand the reference

a joey deacon is a british pre woke insult
"Pre-woke"?

Is that what we are calling offensive now?

I was around then and it was offensive then and it is offensive now.
Original post by GGIN
"Pre-woke"?

Is that what we are calling offensive now?

I was around then and it was offensive then and it is offensive now.

i agree its offensive and has always been but just re-iterating what the last person said
Most offensive insult I’ve heard is ‘you’re a donut’ I was so shocked and flabbergasted after hearing that. Post woke era snowflakes would have a heart attack
https://youtube.com/shorts/J-uHoTfwFj8?feature=share
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Medpapa

Not the best! Considering it relates to an actual person!
Original post by danai m
For what it’s worth, have you done any reflection on why you have no offers? I completely understand your frustration but why on earth would you want to deliberately ‘screw over a doctor’ just because you didn’t get in to medical school?

I applied to medicine because it was the hardest course I could apply to and wanted to challenge myself. Upon reflection, I realised that, whilst I wanted to challenge myself; I did not explicitly want to study medicine; if there was a more challenging course to get into, I would have gone for that one instead. As a result, I ended up seeing the application process as a box ticking exercise; and wanting to use so called "perfect" interview answers that probably seemed non-genuine to the interviewers.

The human side of medicine does not compensate for the 5 years of uni (6 with intercalation), 10 years post grad to become a consultant, and pointless hoops to jump through during speciality training that you need to do. Or at least is doesn't seem worthwhile for me. I know this because last week a patient at my volunteering died. A patient I supported on a weekly basis. And I felt little empathy, if any. It hasn't affected me at all, and I do not think I would enjoy medicine as a result.

A 3 year financial mathematics and statistics at LSE/UCL (both of which actually acknowledge high grades/TMUA scores - unlike medical schools that willingly reject top 5% BMAT just because you did not answer some dodgy question on the NHS in the correct way) followed by average 50K salary 1 year after graduating is more to my taste. I admire those who seen the NHS and think, wow, I will so deal with this **** just because I might get the emotional gratification from helping a paient. So this is my position.
I applied to medicine because it was the hardest course I could apply to and wanted to challenge myself. Upon reflection, I realised that, whilst I wanted to challenge myself; I did not explicitly want to study medicine; if there was a more challenging course to get into, I would have gone for that one instead. As a result, I ended up seeing the application process as a box ticking exercise; and wanting to use so called "perfect" interview answers that probably seemed non-genuine to the interviewers.

The human side of medicine does not compensate for the 5 years of uni (6 with intercalation), 10 years post grad to become a consultant, and pointless hoops to jump through during speciality training that you need to do. Or at least is doesn't seem worthwhile for me. I know this because last week a patient at my volunteering died. A patient I supported on a weekly basis. And I felt little empathy, if any. It hasn't affected me at all, and I do not think I would enjoy medicine as a result.

A 3 year financial mathematics and statistics at LSE/UCL (both of which actually acknowledge high grades/TMUA scores - unlike medical schools that willingly reject top 5% BMAT just because you did not answer some dodgy question on the NHS in the correct way) followed by average 50K salary 1 year after graduating is more to my taste. I admire those who seen the NHS and think, wow, I will so deal with this **** just because I might get the emotional gratification from helping a paient. So this is my position.

Bro failed the challenge
Just a question not related to this but are the 4 A* achieved

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/sour_grapes

your motivation was the problem then
Original post by Faisal101
Bro failed the challenge

lmao
Original post by isa04
Just a question not related to this but are the 4 A* achieved

I think they are as they said they would have to take yet another gap year implying they’d already taken one
Original post by themasterchef
I think they are as they said they would have to take yet another gap year implying they’d already taken one

thanks I missed that part

Medicine is not the hardest course you could apply to.

economics at LSE I suspect you are about to find out is harder. Particularly if you live in the U.K. as they seem to favour international students.

But plenty of other degrees are more competitive than medicine. Natural Sciences and PPE to name just a couple.
Original post by Faisal101
Bro failed the challenge

you need to be stopped

Latest

Trending

Trending