The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi

What are some good thing to be doing over the yr 11 summer holidays to prepare/boost my application?
So far I’m doing some online work experience, EPQ summer work set by school and hopefully some real life work experience too.

I’ve heard it is not wise to begin UCAT/ BMAT preparation too early as there are limited resources? Is that true?

Also can anyone recommended any good books/articles to read about medicine

Thanks! :smile:
Thank you ecolier and also thanks for the link! :biggrin:
Reply 82
Original post by Cherrygrape1234
Thank you ecolier and also thanks for the link! :biggrin:

Although you should not be preparing for UCAT and BMAT, you could get some non verbal reasoning puzzle books - MENSA ones include some which help get your head into non-verbal reasoning.
I read this is going to hurt
I had no idea it was this stressful
He was so funny I felt like he was getting the swing of things by the end of the book
I'm just so sad that the incident at the end made him stop being the amazing senior registrar he was 😫
Defo learnt a lot of terminology as well
Does anybody know what he does now?
Hi, I hope someone could tell me which way is the best thing to do.

I'm currently year 12, I was planning to take UCAT and BMAT this year, but I was planning to take gap year to boost my application form for medical uni.

It is okay to take admission exams this year, but I will take a gap year before going to uni?

or is it have to be the same year to get admission exams of applying in medical uni?

thank you.
when writing up answers for interview questions, how long should they be approximately?
Hi, i have just finished y11 and am predicted good grades in GCSE. I am an aspiring medic and was wondering as to when I should start preparing for the 2 exams and how i could revise. Should i join a course? or revise from a textbook or youtube? Thanks
Original post by dasbdaksjdasda
Hi, i have just finished y11 and am predicted good grades in GCSE. I am an aspiring medic and was wondering as to when I should start preparing for the 2 exams and how i could revise. Should i join a course? or revise from a textbook or youtube? Thanks

It's way too early for you yet! relax for now you just finished yr 11! but the main time frame they say you should be revising for the ucat/bmat is 4/6 weeks before the actual exam. So you don't need to revise/prepare for it until the end of yr 12. It is an aptitude test so the only thing you can do is prepare, if you do this too early you could end up peaking then just getting worse than your starting score. Thats why it is important not to revise too early beforehand. So you don't need to stress just yet! hope this helped
You shouldn't be worrying about either exam until this time next year, like I am (year 12👋🏽). Which revision resources are best for these exams is subjective but if you're floating around the right forums, you'll see what different people recommend. For now just try to do online and organise in person work experience eg I did some GP WEx the summer of year 10 as year 11 was v pear shaped! Also look at the specification for your a level courses try to get ahead with content, just read ahead don't do anything like exam Qs. Also start doing reading around med such as this is going to hurt by Adam Kay or one i really enjoyed was Do No Harm by Henry Marsh. Also with regards to WEx maybe do a little research on NHS Constitution and medical ethics so that when you write your reflections at the end of WEx day, you can look for and link it to them.
Going to summon @ecolier incase I've missed anything and they can signpost you to any year 11 medic chats that are up and running as they are the expert.
Hope this helps :smile: PM if you have any other Qs
Hi, just finished year 11. Should I make a hesd start with a bit of ucat prep or is there no bother doing it now? I just feel like I’ll have a lot on in a levels but if tjere is no point then it’s chill
How soon should I start prep or looking at ucat? I have just finished year 11 and rly want to do well in it but don’t want to rinse it
Like finding volunteering or work experience that is related to medicine.

Thank you so much!!!
Hi
I've heard multiple things about Aston medschool about whether it is private or not?
Original post by starinthenight
Hi
I've heard multiple things about Aston medschool about whether it is private or not?

It isn't private, AFAIK.
Buckingham is the only private medical school for home students, I think.
Hi it's me again do I need some verification that I did work experience like a signed letter o r something? I just did a month at a GP surgery?
Original post by starinthenight
Hi it's me again do I need some verification that I did work experience like a signed letter o r something? I just did a month at a GP surgery?

You may need it later if the medical school decides to verify your work experience, so get it if you can "just in case". but personally 6/6 of my med schools did not ask for it.
Original post by qwert7890
You may need it later if the medical school decides to verify your work experience, so get it if you can "just in case". but personally 6/6 of my med schools did not ask for it.

Okay thank u! So is th ere a form of something to fill out?
(edited 2 years ago)
Please someone help me, will a band 3 put me at a massive disadvantage or will it balance out with my 3090 UCAT? Want to apply to kcl and barts, there is no info on band about either.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by CurryKiller123
Please someone help me, will a band 3 put me at a massive disadvantage or will it balance out with my 3090 UCAT? Want to apply to kcl and barts, there is no info on band about either.

...are you applying for 2023 entry?
Hey. What med schools would you guys recommend for 999977777 at GCSE and what are my chances of getting in? Do you think I would have a shot with KCL?
(edited 2 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending