The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

4A and a B is a fantastic set of results. Way better than mine.
Original post by Stephanie223
damn well this made me cry again but well… it’s true maybe it’s just a sign for me to stay in scotland. i wanted to live in London because i’ve always, I MEAN ALWAYS wanted to model snd there aren’t any modelling opportunities here -they are really picky and their agencies are small and don’t usually work with big brands like i want. you can see a pattern in how i always want the best of the best for myself snd even if i didn’t get into it, i really wanted to get all As throughout my whole year in school and seeing others accomplish that actually hurts me, no one worked harder than i did for that exam and they still did better, with no effort i low-key hate myself for this.

You need to pick medical schools based on where you're most likely to get in, not what you could do there. If you're desperate, make an Instagram and model on there.
You also seem to have a habit of blaming everyone else - your parents, the school, the modelling agencies. Complaning that the modelling agencies near you aren't good enough is silly, you have to start somewhere.
In addition, your attitude about your grades isn't very healthy. You say that you've always wanted As but that doesn't mean you deserve them. You also say that no one else worked harder than you, and people got better grades with 0 hours - how on earth do you know this? You seem to just be pitying yourself instead of working on yourself. There's no best uni for medicine so just get your foot in the door and toughen up. You may well spend hundreds of hours revising and still get average grades. Basically, come up with a realistic (SMART) plan to achieve what you want and work your hardest to make it happen, and don't expect pity just cause you think you tried harder than anyone else possibly could have
Original post by Stephanie223
damn well this made me cry again but well… it’s true maybe it’s just a sign for me to stay in scotland. i wanted to live in London because i’ve always, I MEAN ALWAYS wanted to model snd there aren’t any modelling opportunities here -they are really picky and their agencies are small and don’t usually work with big brands like i want. you can see a pattern in how i always want the best of the best for myself snd even if i didn’t get into it, i really wanted to get all As throughout my whole year in school and seeing others accomplish that actually hurts me, no one worked harder than i did for that exam and they still did better, with no effort i low-key hate myself for this.

Okay, I’m here giving a little bit of unsolicited advice 😭 I’m sorry if I come across as harsh but I don’t mean to, just maybe give it some thought?

Honestly, if you did want to pursue modelling full-time, may be a much better idea to just go to London and start your modelling career outright. I’m quite confused that if you’ve always wanted to model and then you picked medicine just so you could go to a London university to model?

Not saying that you can’t balance modelling and medicine, but if modelling is such an important part then perhaps you should give it some thought :smile:
Hi, would anyone be able to link the excel sheet with all the info for the 2023 entry? Not sure if I had the right one but I lost it. Would be a lot of help! Thanks!
Hey everyone, I applied for med in 2022 through UCAS and I need to apply again this year, do I use the same account or a new one for the new application? Is there anything I should know about when starting a UCAS application for the second time? Would my first and second application be linked in any way?
Hi guys, for barts would 2600 band 2 and 228 ucas tariff points get me an interview, also for Manchester do you think I have a chance as I'm wp+ flag?
Original post by Lovebear2951
Okay, I’m here giving a little bit of unsolicited advice 😭 I’m sorry if I come across as harsh but I don’t mean to, just maybe give it some thought?

Honestly, if you did want to pursue modelling full-time, may be a much better idea to just go to London and start your modelling career outright. I’m quite confused that if you’ve always wanted to model and then you picked medicine just so you could go to a London university to model?

Not saying that you can’t balance modelling and medicine, but if modelling is such an important part then perhaps you should give it some thought :smile:

Agreed with 100 percent.

BOTH modelling and medicine are very tough and competitive industries to break through. I'd pin modelling as a full time career, worldwide fame as even harder. @Stephanie223 I truly believe you need to sit down and think through what your plan is and what you genuinely want to do with your life. Modelling or medicine? It seems as if your heart is more set on modelling, is medicine a back up plan? A degree to fall back on if modelling doesn't go as you wish? There is nothing wrong that - that's completely understandable. However, medicine is tough. Can you really commit to 5 years, FY1 & FY2 and hours of studying, blood, sweat and tears? Is medicine something you REALLY want to do? If modelling is a full-time career you wish to pursue, I'd think about taking a much less competitive degree. If you're into science, why not do biology or chemistry or whatever you want?

I believe models need to build a portfolio, right? If you've had NO experience of modelling, you need to start if this is something you want. Just a small local modelling agency, it doesn't matter near you to build experience and your portfolio. There are MILLIONS of girls who have the same dream as you, especially in London, you'll be up against budding models with tons of network, tons of work experience whatever. In the nicest way possible, what makes you think you can just walk in and sign up with an agency/ or work for big brands?

No one is trying to pick on you, I understand some words can be cut-throat and critical however - you asked for advice. Sometimes bitter truths hurt, but it'll only build resilience and make you stronger! I do think you need to sit down and seriously think about your future plans. Best of luck.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Admit-One
A bit cheeky of them, but the reality is they wouldn’t have had spaces for everyone otherwise.

Indeed - they had to do something, and it’s probably not the worst choice to make. The question I have when advising people is how likely they might be to do it again, so if people should avoid applying there without an A* - tricky!
Original post by hungrysalamander
I’m assuming that the guaranteed interview is only for one medical school so you should still aim for the highest score you can get to avoid putting all your eggs in the same basket.

what if you only have one basket to put your eggs into😭
Original post by louisa.
what if you only have one basket to put your eggs into😭

Surely you’ll have more than 1 medical school that you can apply to when there are 30 med schools out there.
For Barts:
Tariff 242 UCAT 2580
Tariff 216 UCAT 2640
Tariff 180 UCAT 2720
Tariff 168 UCAT 2750

hi, i saw this on the medic mind website, hopefully its helpful xx

Original post by Hussein2004
Hi guys, for barts would 2600 band 2 and 228 ucas tariff points get me an interview, also for Manchester do you think I have a chance as I'm wp+ flag?
(edited 1 year ago)
does anyone know how HYMS point ranking system works?
Does anyone know how Cardiff uses the UCAT for their selection process?
Original post by louisa.
true but i'm limited at unis that accept gcse retakes/ a 5 in english language
i got a 5 in english language in year 10, i resat it and got a 7, the rest of my gcses are pretty average anyways, 98887777766 (5)
UOB would accept my 5 cuz of the WP programme I'm doing, so to get in i just need to do really well in my guaranteed interview, and get band 1 in SJT.
UOB is close to my where i live, i really like the uni out of all other options, should i risk putting all my hopes into it. They give out a lot of offers too right?

Never put all your hopes in one medical school. You lose nothing by using all 4 of your UCAS choices.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by msargent

they don't use it. Last time i checked
does anyone know how HYMS point ranking system works?

Its out of 100 points.
15 points for SJ Banding
40 points for the UCAT score (4 points for each decile)
30 points for GCSEs (based on best 6 GCSEs)
15 points for contextual data
I finished my As levels. When is my deadline to do (apply to) UCAS, UCAT or BMAT?
Deadline is coming up for the UCAT. And regardless of the deadline, you may struggle for a slot if you don’t have one booked so be prepared to do the assessment out of area.

As a tiebreaker for those with the same GCSE score who have passed the PS assessment. They do not say what score has been needed in recent years, but many many people with full academic score have been rejected
Did anyone do the Manchester Access Programme for Medicine? How did it go?

Latest

Trending

Trending