The Student Room Group

what is the function of the pukrinje fibres in the heart?

Hi,
I want to know what the role of the fibres are within the ventricular myocardium
i dont know
SAN node conducts wave of excitations over the walls of the atria, but since there is a slightly delay when it passes over the walls of the atria, this gives time for the atria to finishing contracting. (There would be a slight delay in the AVN to allow this). But, the ventricle would need to contract now but since there isn’t a direct pathway, the wave of excitations travels through bundle of his through to base of the ventricle, this will allow the heart to contract from the apex

So in short, it’s involved in the frequency of contraction for a wide range of functionalities.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by CaptainDuckie
SAN node conducts wave of excitations over the walls of the atria, but since there is a slightly delay when it passes over the walls of the atria, this gives time for the atria to finishing contracting. But, the ventricle would need to contract now but since there isn’t a direct pathway, the wave of excitations travels through purkyne fibres through atrioventricular node to base of the ventricle, this will allow the heart to contract from the apex

So in short, it’s involved in the frequency of contraction for a wide range of functionalities.

thank you so much! and this is all within the ventricular myocardium
Original post by Fa123123
thank you so much! and this is all within the ventricular myocardium

Well, for purkyne fibres, yeah.

As you can see

47233B40-16BD-434B-A138-99F9B61F1D15.jpg.jpeg

AVN will delay the excitation so that atria can contract, but then sends it through the fibres for the contraction of ventricles
Reply 5
Original post by CaptainDuckie
SAN node conducts wave of excitations over the walls of the atria, but since there is a slightly delay when it passes over the walls of the atria, this gives time for the atria to finishing contracting. But, the ventricle would need to contract now but since there isn’t a direct pathway, the wave of excitations travels through purkyne fibres through atrioventricular node to base of the ventricle, this will allow the heart to contract from the apex

Mostly right. There are no such things as Purkyne fibres, it’s Purkinje fibres. Also, I’d say that while there is a delay in the electrical impulse travelling from the SAN to the AVN, this is not responsible for the AV delay. The AV delay occurs in the AV node, because the AV node has a slow conduction velocity, which allows the atria to contract before the ventricles contract.
Original post by Jpw1097
Mostly right. There are no such things as Purkyne fibres, it’s Purkinje fibres. Also, I’d say that while there is a delay in the electrical impulse travelling from the SAN to the AVN, this is not responsible for the AV delay. The AV delay occurs in the AV node, because the AV node has a slow conduction velocity, which allows the atria to contract before the ventricles contract.

Hi, you are indeed correct. I meant to say there was a delay in AV node as illustrated in my post above.

In regards to purkyne fibres, it is indeed accepted in my exams. So unfortunately got into the habit of saying it, thanks though !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending