The Student Room Group

Why am I constipated ?

I've been really constipated the last few days why is this ? This isn't normal for me my poo is normally soft and often quite loose . Help please
Reply 1
Diet? Dehydration? Lack of exercise? Medication? Stress? Change in toilet habits?

Lots of reasons you could be constipated.
Reply 2
Original post by Surnia
Diet? Dehydration? Lack of exercise? Medication? Stress? Change in toilet habits?

Lots of reasons you could be constipated.

It could be a mix of all these had a stressful week but not dehydrated and don't take medication. I was fine at the start of the week but now struggling to go is there anything I can do to fix this ? This is very unusual for me as normally I am the opposite way passing poo everyday sometimes more than once and often it's loose and easy to pass . Should I be worried?
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous #1
It could be a mix of all these had a stressful week but not dehydrated and don't take medication. I was fine at the start of the week but now struggling to go is there anything I can do to fix this ? This is very unusual for me as normally I am the opposite way passing poo everyday sometimes more than once and often it's loose and easy to pass . Should I be worried?

If you're concerned see a doctor.
Reply 4

You need to drink plenty of fluids to soften it up and you'll go eventually.

Sometimes certain foods can cause constipation.

Like what the other person said in reply 3 - any concerns about not able to poo then consult your GP about it or contact NHS 24 on 111 for future information as they will tell you what you should do.
Reply 5
Original post by Tracey_W
You need to drink plenty of fluids to soften it up and you'll go eventually.

Sometimes certain foods can cause constipation.

Like what the other person said in reply 3 - any concerns about not able to poo then consult your GP about it or contact NHS 24 on 111 for future information as they will tell you what you should do.

Thankyou I did drink plenty of water and managed to go now although had a bad tummy ache and my poo was quite loose . Think it's something I've eaten upsetting my stomach had a curry the other day then hardly been since just wondering if it's that what's now causing the loose poos .
Reply 6
Thankyou I did drink plenty of water and managed to go now although had a bad tummy ache and my poo was quite loose . Think it's something I've eaten upsetting my stomach had a curry the other day then hardly been since just wondering if it's that what's now causing the loose poos .

That's good you have drank plenty of water as will definitely help keep it soft.

Tummy ache can be caused by a few things and sometimes it can be just something you eaten that you not had for a long time 😔
Reply 7
I honestly don't know what it is can't seem to regulate my bowel movements any more when I go in the evening /night it's always hard and difficult to pass which I think is causing the tummy pain. But in a morning its always loose and gassy and feel like I can't finish having a poo fully . Very embarrassing but I don't know why this would be happening?
97% of Americans don't eat the recommended amount of fibre. In one survey 0% of American men between the ages of 14 and 50 were eating the recommended amount of fibre.

The best sources of fibre are whole grains and beans / legumes.
Dried beans are cheap. Frozen peas are affordable.

Quick Reply

Latest