The Student Room Group

Constipation problems

Hey all a bit probably tmi but at the start of June I experienced constipation where my bowlers didn’t move for at least four or three days. We were on a getaway and we were getting up to sightseeing so I barely drank any water. About last Wednesday it happened again but when I drank some quite strong orange squash I finally passed bowel movement. I also found prunes (at least two because they’re very sugary) to help with it as they re full of fibre which I lack due to not being on good eating habits. And now it’s happening again. It’s either been four or three days since I last passed my bowels and it won’t come out. I’ve had a banana and drink before bed and had an apple in the day. This is the third time recently and I think it would be best to got a gp as it’s not normal. I was questioning that maybe it’s due to me always having a brioche roll at lunch at school so maybe my bowel movement isn’t so great and plus I’m the worst when it comes to water intake! I’m about to go bed but I’m really anxious and want to know what I can do. My gut instinct is to speak to a gp and get this cleared out asap!
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hey all a bit probably tmi but at the start of June I experienced constipation where my bowlers didn’t move for at least four or three days. We were on a getaway and we were getting up to sightseeing so I barely drank any water. About last Wednesday it happened again but when I drank some quite strong orange squash I finally passed bowel movement. I also found prunes (at least two because they’re very sugary) to help with it as they re full of fibre which I lack due to not being on good eating habits. And now it’s happening again. It’s either been four or three days since I last passed my bowels and it won’t come out. I’ve had a banana and drink before bed and had an apple in the day. This is the third time recently and I think it would be best to got a gp as it’s not normal. I was questioning that maybe it’s due to me always having a brioche roll at lunch at school so maybe my bowel movement isn’t so great and plus I’m the worst when it comes to water intake! I’m about to go bed but I’m really anxious and want to know what I can do. My gut instinct is to speak to a gp and get this cleared out asap!

* where my bowels didn’t move
Reply 2
Ok so you are on a getaway. whether its another county, or country the change in water hardness can really make a difference. We used to own a caravan and 9/10 everyone who went could not go for days.

As long as you are eating ok and drinking fluids its nothing to worry about. you are doing the right thing with fluids and fruit helps.
Should you not go within by 5 days, you can go to the pharmacy and get things that can help over the counter. You do not need a gp, just a pharmacist will do. And anxiety is a big cause as well.
(edited 9 months ago)

Don’t panic, you’re gonna be fine I’m sure. 3 or 4 days isn’t that long. You should drink plenty of water tomorrow throughout the day and eat fruits and high fibre food. Try not to worry or think too much about it because that won’t help. You can probably just do a Google search to see what’s best to eat and what you shouldn’t be eating so much of right now. Just don’t panic!
Reply 4
[...] I barely drank any water. [...] they re full of fibre which I lack due to not being on good eating habits.

I suspect these are likely to be the main culprits here. How much fluid do you drink a day? How many fruit and veg do you eat?
I would try changing you eating/drinking habits first and if that doesn't help, speaking to a health professional as the next step.
Have a look here and here for some advice on things that may help.
Reply 5
You probably need to get some more fibre in your diet. I would also take Fybogel for 3/4 days or until it settles.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Ghostlady
Ok so you are on a getaway. whether its another county, or country the change in water hardness can really make a difference. We used to own a caravan and 9/10 everyone who went could not go for days.

As long as you are eating ok and drinking fluids its nothing to worry about. you are doing the right thing with fluids and fruit helps.
Should you not go within by 5 days, you can go to the pharmacy and get things that can help over the counter. You do not need a gp, just a pharmacist will do. And anxiety is a big cause as well.

Yes and we were just so busy and i hate using the toilets outside of home and relieved to know that this isn’t just with me.
Yes I do eat okay but I guess it’s more junk food less fibre and healthy foods. Yep okay I’ll go to a pharmacist instead then! To be honest I don’t have anxiety but I’m always stressing about something or another so this could lie behind it as well.
Thanks for your help!
Reply 7
Original post by black tea
I suspect these are likely to be the main culprits here. How much fluid do you drink a day? How many fruit and veg do you eat?
I would try changing you eating/drinking habits first and if that doesn't help, speaking to a health professional as the next step.
Have a look here and here for some advice on things that may help.

Yeah I go through roughly 7 or 8 glasses and yeah like I said I’m bad with water intake! I barely eat fruit and veg mainly junk food too. Yeah I agree that I need o change my eating habits and this should be a lesson learnt. Thanks for the links they’re useful with helpful advice!
Reply 8
Don’t panic, you’re gonna be fine I’m sure. 3 or 4 days isn’t that long. You should drink plenty of water tomorrow throughout the day and eat fruits and high fibre food. Try not to worry or think too much about it because that won’t help. You can probably just do a Google search to see what’s best to eat and what you shouldn’t be eating so much of right now. Just don’t panic!

Yeah it’s hard to not panic as normally people go literally every day! Yeah I should drink water as my water intake is quite bad and so is fruit and veg diet. Thanks you’re right I shouldn’t keep dwelling on it and yeah I’ll get searching thanks and I won’t!
Reply 9
Original post by nutz99
You probably need to get some more fibre in your diet. I would also take Fybogel for 3/4 days or until it settles.

You’re right I do need fibre and I’ll have a look at that thanks.
Yeah it’s hard to not panic as normally people go literally every day! Yeah I should drink water as my water intake is quite bad and so is fruit and veg diet. Thanks you’re right I shouldn’t keep dwelling on it and yeah I’ll get searching thanks and I won’t!

Just wanted to add, not everyone goes every day. For some people, only like twice a week is normal.
Reply 11
Just wanted to add, not everyone goes every day. For some people, only like twice a week is normal.

Thanks I didn’t know that!
Original post by nutz99

This

I wouldn’t be surprised if one drink of fybogel gets things going.

If you’re worried then getting into a habit of drinking a fybogel every other day should help get you into a more settled routine but don’t try and force things.

One of my friends who worked in the NHS basically putting probes up peoples bums all day gave me some advice about avoiding straining when ********. Basically try after you’ve eaten when you get the urge. Feet flat on the floor and breathing through your mouth. If you find yourself pointing your toes or holding your breath then you’re straining. If you’re constipated and dehydrated then that’s going to be difficult or impossible but that’s what you’re aiming for by increasing fibre and hydration. Forcing yourself to go daily is worse than going every couple of days without straining.
Reply 13

EDIT- I finally passed my bowels yesterday thanks guys for your help!

Thanks all!
Reply 14
Original post by alexivanovski
Lots of fruits and strong coffee in the morning is a good idea.
Good luck and please let us know what helped you actually.

Thansk for your help! What seemed to help me was strong diluted squash, prunes, a sensible amount of water, wheat cereals and bananas!
Weird tip; but I live by eating 1 or 2 sugar free werther's originals before I go to sleep, helps get things moving in the morning!

Quick Reply

Latest