The Student Room Group

alcohol and bowel issues

why do i always have diarrhea when i go drinking? could this be a sign of bowel endo or ibs or smth? it gets really bad and embarrassing!!
Alcohol passes through the body very quickly and often can have an impact on your digestive system, also drinking on an empty stomach is never a good idea . It could also depend on your age if you have just recently started drinking your body may not be use to it therefore causing you to have diarrhea. How long has it been going on ?
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Alcohol passes through the body very quickly and often can have an impact on your digestive system, also drinking on an empty stomach is never a good idea . It could also depend on your age if you have just recently started drinking your body may not be use to it therefore causing you to have diarrhea. How long has it been going on ?

i did have food, i always do. i’m 19 and ive been drinking alcohol since i was about 17. it’s been happening for that long. wasn’t sure if something may be causing it but what you said seems to make sense.
i did have food, i always do. i’m 19 and ive been drinking alcohol since i was about 17. it’s been happening for that long. wasn’t sure if something may be causing it but what you said seems to make sense.

Sorry to hear that, I know all bowel problems are embarrassing and no one likes talking about them but might be worth going to see a professional about it . Does the diarrhoea disappear after the alcohol has left your system or are you having it frequently?
Reply 4
Sorry to hear that, I know all bowel problems are embarrassing and no one likes talking about them but might be worth going to see a professional about it . Does the diarrhoea disappear after the alcohol has left your system or are you having it frequently?

i normally have constipation (not always) and it’s genetic as my mum has that too so i think that’s normal. i do get diarrhoea the same just before my period and on my period but thats notmal too. but yes the diarrhoea goes after 2-3 days after drinking
i normally have constipation (not always) and it’s genetic as my mum has that too so i think that’s normal. i do get diarrhoea the same just before my period and on my period but thats notmal too. but yes the diarrhoea goes after 2-3 days after drinking

I'm not a doctor so would be best to make an appointment with your GP but it could be ibs if you suffer from both constipation and diarrhoea but everyone has diarrhoea from time to time and its nothing to be embarrassed about . If you live in student accommodation im sure your friends will have experienced just the same . Try to control what you drink and maybe make a journal as to specific types of alcohol that make you go to the toilet and avoid those . It depends on how bad your diarrhoea is if you are just going once or twice it probably clears up on its own but if you are having it constantly might be worth trying some immodium for short term relief. Hope this helps
Reply 6
I'm not a doctor so would be best to make an appointment with your GP but it could be ibs if you suffer from both constipation and diarrhoea but everyone has diarrhoea from time to time and its nothing to be embarrassed about . If you live in student accommodation im sure your friends will have experienced just the same . Try to control what you drink and maybe make a journal as to specific types of alcohol that make you go to the toilet and avoid those . It depends on how bad your diarrhoea is if you are just going once or twice it probably clears up on its own but if you are having it constantly might be worth trying some immodium for short term relief. Hope this helps

thank you so much i’ll definitely speak to my GP. i always have pelvic pain too so could be it not sure!!! will definitely speak to them. i appreciate your help:smile:
thank you so much i’ll definitely speak to my GP. i always have pelvic pain too so could be it not sure!!! will definitely speak to them. i appreciate your help:smile:

No worries definitely see the doctor hope you are feeling better soon

It's not genetic. It's because bad habits run in families. Break the bad habit and you'll fix the constipation and diarrhoea.

There will be a big lack of fibre in your diet and your mother's diet. Sort that out and see how your bowels get on.
Beans, legumes and whole grains are great sources of fibre.
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
It's not genetic. It's because bad habits run in families. Break the bad habit and you'll fix the constipation and diarrhoea.

There will be a big lack of fibre in your diet and your mother's diet. Sort that out and see how your bowels get on.

Be careful with too much fibre though as you will constantly be on the loo . Try it in small quantities first and see how it affects your bowels .
Reply 10
No worries definitely see the doctor hope you are feeling better soon

thank you!!

Original post by Dunnig Kruger

yeah you’re right i probably do need more of that. i’ll see how they get on!
what if it doesn’t improve?
Be careful with too much fibre though as you will constantly be on the loo . Try it in small quantities first and see how it affects your bowels .

It's impossible to eat too much fibre. There's not enough hours in the day and you'd be feeling too full.
It's hyperbolic to say you'll be constantly on the loo. Maybe 2 or 3 times per day instead of once per day or every 2, 3, 4, 5 days for those with constipation.
What you will tend to find with a fuller fibre diet is softer stools that come out easier with no pressure required. This is as nature intended.

A lack of fibre is associated with increased risk of multiple life shortening conditions.

...And as for "What if it doesn't improve?" it's pretty much impossible for someone eating lots and lots of fibre from unprocessed plant foods high in fibre to still have constipation. Give it a try. Make tomorrow evening's meal one based on dried beans that you leave soaking tonight. They are delicious with finely chopped onion, tomato puree, tinned puree, herbs and spices.
(edited 6 months ago)
Have you seen a doctor about this ? It could possibly be ibs do you have alternating symptoms of diarrhoea and constipation?

Quick Reply

Latest