The Student Room Group

How racist was the UK towards Meghan Markle?

Scroll to see replies

This was a clear and blatant example that the UK is institutionally racist from top to bottom. At the top you have the horrific royal family acting extremely racist towards Meghan, going so far to hope their baby "wasn't too dark" to the tabloids constantly printing racist garbage about Meghan and everyone lapping it up. Now you have Piers Morgan on TV every morning spouting racist tripe. This really showed the UK is far behind in race relations.

We need more diversity, equity and inclusion training. It needs to be made weekly in schools (replacing PSHE) and to highlight a different inspirwtional BAME person each week (examples include Meghan, Ibram Kendi and Diane Abbot).

Companies should be levied a huge diversity tax if at least 33% of their management/directors are not BAME.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
What a baby Piers Morgan is.
https://order-order.com/2021/03/09/watch-piers-morgan-storms-off-gmb-during-harry-meghan-row/

He really can't take getting it instead of dishing it.

Surely there should be a level of neutrality when reporting the news but it appears it is okay for Mr Morgan to consistently bash the Duchess because she apparently stopped being mates with him.
Original post by Wired_1800
Surely there should be a level of neutrality when reporting the news but it appears it is okay for Mr Morgan to consistently bash the Duchess because she apparently stopped being mates with him.

It's fairly outrageous that the TV company allows it. They've truly turned broadcast media full tabloid.
Reply 103
Attention was drawn to the different response to Kate and Megan eating avocado, for Kate it was healthy, for Megan it was a high water-usage / high carbon footprint to critique . . . which seems nasty and unfair . . . though a friend reminded me that Megan had been a bit preachy about environmental issues.
Original post by harrysbar
I think the UK have generally been quite supportive of Meghan (not the press, the people) and didn't have much to say that was negative about her. Until now.

Now she is coming across as an attention seeking narcissist who loves the spotlight so much she is prepared to cause a permanent rift with her husband's family just to get "her truth" out there. In the UK at least, we are already bored by the story, or taking it with a large dose of salt.

She is acting like she is the first wife ever to find her husband's family a cold, strange bunch and assuming that this must be down to racism. Conveniently forgetting the experiences of Diana, despite them being so well documented.

I must admit a prejudice - I'm prejudiced against actresses. I think they're high maintenance.
When I heard Prince Harry was engaged to an American actress I thought it was almost certain to end in tears.

I don't pay much attention to royal news and TBH I was surprised to find out that she was black when Danny Baker got fired by the BBC... I'd seen pictures, I thought she was probably Italian heritage or something but seeing as I'm not totally obsessed with looking at the world through a prism of racial identity like the Americans are I wasn't particularly interested.
Reply 105
Poor Harry! I think he's found himself tied up in knots with an egocentric. Not an egoist. Imo she does do things for others and think of others, but everything has to come back to her as the central attention, which clearly she wasn't in the U.K. After yesterday's performance though, she most definitely is, and Harry just looked like a lost side kick playing with the chickens!
Original post by Azagthoa
--snip--

We need more diversity, equity and inclusion training. It needs to be made weekly in schools (replacing PSHE) and to highlight a different inspirwtional BAME person each week (examples include Meghan, Ibram Kendi and Diane Abbot).
--snip--

Or maybe even people who've actually achieved something like Prof Sir Geoff Palmer or Mohamed Atalla
Original post by Fullofsurprises
It's fairly outrageous that the TV company allows it. They've truly turned broadcast media full tabloid.

Yes. Not a good look:
Not only did Piers Morgan do an “unplanned” walkout ... he did it at the slightest provocation, with no real anger or emotion at all, right before a commercial break. 😂

Pro wrestling has been doing this on TV for years. It’s called a “worked shoot” ... a planned segment on a formatted show that you’re supposed to believe isn’t part of the format.
Whether you're far left, far right or anything in between we can all come together and agree that Piers Morgan is an odious ****.
Original post by Starship Trooper
Whether you're far left, far right or anything in between we can all come together and agree that Piers Morgan is an odious ****.

I honestly don't understand what Piers Morgan is after anymore. He seems to have positioned himself as a one-man army against the “woke brigade”. I was shocked when he stood up and left GMB this morning and accused his colleague of not defending him.
Original post by Wired_1800
I honestly don't understand what Piers Morgan is after anymore. He seems to have positioned himself as a one-man army against the “woke brigade”. I was shocked when he stood up and left GMB this morning and accused his colleague of not defending him.

He's also done the whole liberal outrage schtick I remember he went mad at Anne Widdicombe for not supporting Gay Marriage and basically implied she was an extremist and shouldn't be allowed in politics.

Like JK Rowling and other wealthy white liberals he's outraged that the [woke] monster he helped feed and create has suddenly turned on him.

But basically he's just an egomaniac desperate to stay relevant.
He's also done the whole liberal outrage schtick I remember he went mad at Anne Widdicombe for not supporting Gay Marriage and basically implied she was an extremist and shouldn't be allowed in politics.

Like JK Rowling and other wealthy white liberals he's outraged that the [woke] monster he helped feed and create has suddenly turned on him.

I personally think he is a bit off and don't think his colleagues actually like him.

That's certainly how it comes across. I can't stand the man and his anti woke stance just comes across as disingenuous attention seeking rather than anything more rooted.
Original post by TCA2b
That's certainly how it comes across. I can't stand the man and his anti woke stance just comes across as disingenuous attention seeking rather than anything more rooted.

I believe he is genuinely anti woke which is fair as it's his opinion but he's also a bit of a tw*t about it
Reply 115
Has anyone seen a Renault Megane in Windsor?
Original post by NJA
Has anyone seen a Renault Megane in Windsor?

:rofl:
Original post by Azagthoa
This was a clear and blatant example that the UK is institutionally racist from top to bottom. At the top you have the horrific royal family acting extremely racist towards Meghan, going so far to hope their baby "wasn't too dark" to the tabloids constantly printing racist garbage about Meghan and everyone lapping it up. Now you have Piers Morgan on TV every morning spouting racist tripe. This really showed the UK is far behind in race relations.

Companies should be levied a huge diversity tax if at least 33% of their management/directors are not BAME.

I think you’re misquoting. That’s not what they said. It could have been a passing comment along with things like their hair colour or eye colour, or some super old relative who will never learn and will die soon anyways. Also you’re promoting positive discrimination which just makes things worse in the long run.
Original post by Joinedup
Or maybe even people who've actually achieved something like Prof Sir Geoff Palmer or Mohamed Atalla

Exactly, those people they said are incompetent not because they’re Black (as that has nothing to do with how they can do a job) but because they’re just useless as people and hypocritical

Buckingham Palace statement on Harry and Meghan.

I’m glad they reiterated that they’re much loved family members. You know you love someone very much when you find out how they’re feeling by sitting and watching ITV1 in prime time. That’s a level of mutual love and respect we should all aspire to within our families, none of this talking things out privately over the dinner table and listening to each other’s points of view BS. 🙄

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending