The Student Room Group

Complex Numbers Question

Had a go at the below question but ended up with a pair of sim equations that don't solve - does anyone know if I've made an error or if there's a better approach to this?

Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-27 um 08.53.29.png

Foto am 27-03-2021 um 08.56.jpg
Reply 1
Just work out the arg of each. When are the arg multiples equal (lowest common multiple) or differ by a multiple of 2pi as they have unit modulus. Should be 3-4 simple lines?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by mqb2766
Just work out the arg of each. When are the arg multiples equal (lowest common multiple) as they have unit modulus. Should be 3-4 simple lines?

That's what I tried to do above - unless you mean keeping them in complex number form rather than converting to mod-arg form?

If so I'm not sure how to find the arg when it's raised to a variable? Without expanding via binomial but then it'll get messy?
Reply 3
Original post by beachpanda
That's what I tried to do above - unless you mean keeping them in complex number form rather than converting to mod-arg form?

If so I'm not sure how to find the arg when it's raised to a variable? Without expanding via binomial but then it'll get messy?

(e^(it))^n = e^(int)
So an angle t raised to the power n is nt. Multiple angles are actually useful. Think of it as a rotation by t applied n times.
So yes, it's what you did, but easier to work directly on
nt = mu + 2kpi
for args t,u, rather than putting in rectangular cis form.

The exponential power-multiple angle is basically demoivres theorem, but easy to get using basic exponent rules.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by mqb2766
(e^(it))^n = e^(int)
So an angle t raised to the power n is nt. Multiple angles are actually useful. Think of it as a rotation by t applied n times.
So yes, it's what you did, but easier to work directly on
nt = mu + 2kpi
for args t,u, rather than putting in rectangular cis form.

The exponential power-multiple angle is basically demoivres theorem, but easy to get using basic exponent rules.

Had another go, is this what you meant?

Since the arg of the first complex number is negative, I've ended up with -m in the final equation leading to incorrect result when looking at the answer in my textbook?

Foto am 27-03-2021 um 12.30.jpg
Reply 5
The argument can be [0,2pi] or [-pi,pi]
But you're looking for .
m(11pi/6) - n(pi/4) = k2pi
Clearly m is a multiple of 3 and you could take k=0 to keep things easier.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by mqb2766
The argument can be [0,2pi] or [-pi,pi]
But you're looking for .
m(5pi/6) - n(pi/4) = k2pi
Clearly n is a multiple of 3 and you could take k=0 to keep things easier.

Sorry I'm lost - not sure why the arg = 5pi/6 ? And where the k2pi is from?
Reply 7
Sorry I'm lost - not sure why the arg = 5pi/6 ? And where the k2pi is from?

Corrected 11pi/6 = -pi/6.
k2pi as angles and hence arg repeats every 2pi.
Reply 8
Had a go at the below question but ended up with a pair of sim equations that don't solve - does anyone know if I've made an error or if there's a better approach to this?

Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-27 um 08.53.29.png

Foto am 27-03-2021 um 08.56.jpg

Am I missing something here?

Part (c) just asks for one possible pair of values m and n. Since from part (b) you know that the 9th power of the original complex number is ci (and presumably you found what 'c' was), why not choose m = 9 and just look for a small value of n that gives the same value for the second expression?

Quick Reply

Latest