The Student Room Group

A level physics question help please urgent electricity

sorry I have a test on this tomorrow- I don't understand what causes the heating effect in a wire. Is it the current or the power? If I was asked why does the temperature increase, am I supposed to relate it to the current as there's a higher current or something, or a higher power?
Thanks so much x
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Qxi.xli
sorry I have a test on this tomorrow- I don't understand what causes the heating effect in a wire. Is it the current or the power? If I was asked why does the temperature increase, am I supposed to relate it to the current as there's a higher current or something, or a higher power?
Thanks so much x

I believe heating is caused by resistance. This happens when electrons collide with the atoms of the wire (releasing heat energy).

I would relate to current rather than power, as an increase in current in a non-Ohmic component increases resistance and therefore increases heat given out. I'm not sure what the relationship between resistance and power is in a non-Ohmic component.
Original post by daan.m
I believe heating is caused by resistance. This happens when electrons collide with the atoms of the wire (releasing heat energy).

I would relate to current rather than power, as an increase in current in a non-Ohmic component increases resistance and therefore increases heat given out. I'm not sure what the relationship between resistance and power is in a non-Ohmic component.

ok thank you! :smile:
Original post by Qxi.xli
Thanks so much x

I don't understand what causes the heating effect in a wire
Electrons are charge carriers for current, they move (opposite to current, remember, that's the flow of positive charge, odd I know but that's the convention, it makes sense in some places) through the wire. The wire itself is a lattice of atoms, and it's rare, but electrons may "collide" with these lattice atoms. "Collide" because they're just deflected, but we're judging a collision as a very close deflection, one which transfers a notable amount of the electrons kinetic energy to the nucleus. The more current, the more electrons, the more collisions, the more the atoms get this KE. And we know that lattice vibration <-> temperature of the material.
tl;dr electrons collide, transfer KE, material heats up.

or a higher power
Power dissipated in the wire is given by i2Ri^2R where ii is the current. You can say that an increase in current will give rise to more power dissipation across the wire. Alternatively if you give the above wordy argument, you won't need to resort to using equations.
Original post by Qxi.xli
Thanks so much x

You have a test on Good Friday? Schools have broken up ....
Original post by daan.m

The relationship is nonlinear (Ohmic <-> Linearity in V/R/etc) and it's usually safe to just say that.
Original post by Callicious
I don't understand what causes the heating effect in a wire
Electrons are charge carriers for current, they move (opposite to current, remember, that's the flow of positive charge, odd I know but that's the convention, it makes sense in some places) through the wire. The wire itself is a lattice of atoms, and it's rare, but electrons may "collide" with these lattice atoms. "Collide" because they're just deflected, but we're judging a collision as a very close deflection, one which transfers a notable amount of the electrons kinetic energy to the nucleus. The more current, the more electrons, the more collisions, the more the atoms get this KE. And we know that lattice vibration <-> temperature of the material.
tl;dr electrons collide, transfer KE, material heats up.

or a higher power
Power dissipated in the wire is given by i2Ri^2R where ii is the current. You can say that an increase in current will give rise to more power dissipation across the wire. Alternatively if you give the above wordy argument, you won't need to resort to using equations.

thank you soo much, you're amazing at explaining things :smile:
Original post by Muttley79
You have a test on Good Friday? Schools have broken up ....

oh **** I thought I had school tomorrow lol, we were supposed to have a physics test next lesson
well, I guess I'm not revising physics anymore lmao 😭
Original post by Qxi.xli
thank you soo much, you're amazing at explaining things :smile:

oh **** I thought I had school tomorrow lol, we were supposed to have a physics test next lesson
well, I guess I'm not revising physics anymore lmao 😭

Thanks x3

although tbf it has me on edge these days, 2-3 years ago people were a lot more diligent in how they asked questions or the effort they'd put into solving them, that's just my personal biased opinion though

Not you though obviously, just in general XD
Original post by Callicious
Thanks x3

although tbf it has me on edge these days, 2-3 years ago people were a lot more diligent in how they asked questions or the effort they'd put into solving them, that's just my personal biased opinion though

Not you though obviously, just in general XD

yeah lol. TSR is soo useful and the people in the study forum are so nice and helpful. It's way easier, for me at least, to spend 5 minutes searching for something and if I still don't get it, to post my question on here, than going to my teacher and asking them (which is way too much effort lol). x

Quick Reply

Latest