The Student Room Group

Goldsmiths Popular music

Hello everyone.
I have been thinking to apply Goldsmiths Popular music program but as i read here being at least grade 8 in one instrument is very adventigious for your application. I am nowhere close to there, i tried to teach myself piano last summer and that's it. But i liked Goldsmiths practical and academic mixture rather than a conservatori (which obviously i am nowhere near). Should i stop cosidering because i don't have those skills? Is playing an instrument grade 8 a must? I thought i would improve my musical skills while studying.
As long as you have ideas and are actively making music of your own they don’t care about whether you can play at grade 8 or not. I’ve never learned to play piano and I certainly can’t play at a graded level but I can play and write from ear, I was worried that this wouldn’t be enough but I pulled through and ended up getting an unconditional. You should keep in mind that you do have to have an audition to get on the course but if you can practise and learn to play an original song you’ll be fine. I do think they’ve interviewed everyone they are going to interview for 2021-22 though so it might be a bit too late for a start in September.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by TommyRyoma
As long as you have ideas and are actively making music of your own they don’t care about whether you can play at grade 8 or not. I’ve never learned to play piano and I certainly can’t play at a graded level but I can play and write from ear, I was worried that this wouldn’t be enough but I pulled through and ended up getting an unconditional. You should keep in mind that you do have to have an audition to get on the course but if you can practise and learn to play an original song you’ll be fine. I do think they’ve interviewed everyone they are going to interview for 2021-22 though so it might be a bit too late for a start in September.

thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest