The Student Room Group

Aqa A level chemistry Enthalpy change of neutralisation help

Question: 50cm3 of 1.0 mol dm-3 nitric acid was added to 20cm3 of 1.0 mol dm-3 barium hydroxide solution. Temperature rose by 7.9 degrees C, calculate the enthalpy of neutralisation for this reaction (per mole of nitric acid reacting).

You need to work out which reagent is in excess to work out the moles of nitric acid reacting, but I don’t know how I’m supposed to do this without the balanced equation?
Thanks!
Original post by Mavs04
Question: 50cm3 of 1.0 mol dm-3 nitric acid was added to 20cm3 of 1.0 mol dm-3 barium hydroxide solution. Temperature rose by 7.9 degrees C, calculate the enthalpy of neutralisation for this reaction (per mole of nitric acid reacting).

You need to work out which reagent is in excess to work out the moles of nitric acid reacting, but I don’t know how I’m supposed to do this without the balanced equation?
Thanks!

Maybe that should be your first step then ...
Reply 2
Original post by charco
Maybe that should be your first step then ...

Yep Ik but that’s what I don’t know how to do
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Mavs04
Yep Ik but that’s what I don’t know how to do

It's a neutralisation reaction, they're all the same. You need as many hydrogen ions from the acid as hydroxide ions from the base.
Reply 4
Original post by charco
It's a neutralisation reaction, they're all the same. You need as many hydrogen ions from the acid as hydroxide ions from the base.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest