kswales1
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,

I'm trying to part b of this question. I think I've found the vector BH in part A to be -60i + 70j but honestly I'm not entirely sure and I have no clue where to start for part BName:  Capture.PNG
Views: 5
Size:  163.7 KB
Last edited by kswales1; 1 month ago
xOutcast
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hihi,
It might be worth checking your answer for part a!
Then for the second part, I suggest drawing a sketch. Then you can use some knowledge of trigonometry to work out some angles (from B to H), and then the bearing. Remember the bearing is the angle relative to north, goes clockwise, and is 3 digits. For example, an angle of 87 degrees clockwise is 087. An angle of 93 degrees anticlockwise will be 267. Let me know how you get on!
Last edited by xOutcast; 1 month ago
kswales1
Rep:
?
(Original post by xOutcast)
Hihi,
It might be worth checking your answer for part a!
Then for the second part, I suggest drawing a sketch. Then you can use some knowledge of trigonometry to work out some angles (from B to H), and then the bearing. Remember the bearing is the angle relative to north, goes clockwise, and is 3 digits. For example, an angle of 87 degrees clockwise is 087. An angle of 93 degrees anticlockwise will be 267. Let me know how you get on!
tysm for this! I'm a bit confused though if my answer for A is incorrect - could you give me some guidance?
xOutcast
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The issue is with the j component - probably just a typo/mental maths mistake I think!
kswales1
Rep:
?
The issue is with the j component - probably just a typo/mental maths mistake I think!
Ahhh is it meant to be 80j? i messed up the scale on my graph by accident
xOutcast
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by kswales1)
Ahhh is it meant to be 80j? i messed up the scale on my graph by accident
Yep! Let me know what you get for your bearing when you get it and we can see if we match
kswales1
Rep:
?
Yep! Let me know what you get for your bearing when you get it and we can see if we match
I've attached a photo of the diagram I'm using to make it easier to explain my working -
Using the trig, I can find the θ angle, but what I'm actually trying to find is the ∝ angle because the bearing goes clockwise. So I used tanθ = opp / adj to find θ (tan^-1 (60 / 80) = 36.87). Then I subtracted this value from 360 to find the actual bearing. 360 - 36.87 = 323.13 ≈ 323. Is this correct?
Attached files
Last edited by kswales1; 1 month ago
xOutcast
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I've attached a photo of the diagram I'm using to make it easier to explain my working -
Using the trig, I can find the θ angle, but what I'm actually trying to find is the ∝ angle because the bearing goes clockwise. So I used tanθ = opp / adj to find θ (tan^-1 (60 / 80) = 36.87). Then I subtracted this value from 360 to find the actual bearing. 360 - 36.87 = 323.13 ≈ 323. Is this correct?
Absolutely perfect. Beautiful diagram and answer in perfect form
kswales1
Rep:
?
Absolutely perfect. Beautiful diagram and answer in perfect form
Awesome, thank you so much for your help!!
xOutcast
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Awesome, thank you so much for your help!!
Pleasure! Best of luck with everything!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (14)
25%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (4)
7.14%
No I am happy with my choice (35)
62.5%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (3)
5.36%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise