The Student Room Group

A levels needed for engineering?

Hi I’m currently in year 11. I have applied for maths physics and computer science. My initial plan was to go into CS but now it’s oversaturated. I know maths and physics will be a good combo for engineering but I’m not sure about computer science. Will these A levels let me get into a good Russel group uno preferably in London. I want to do aerospace/aeronautical or mechanical engineering. Thanks
i also want to go into aerospace engineering and ive applied to do a level physics maths and geography and i think they also like chemistry along wiwth physics anad maths too but im not sure maybe research into the university you are looking to go into and see what they might reccomend along with physics andmaths but so far i think computer science is also good but im not sure
Reply 2
yes - consider adding further maths.
Original post by alistudysforfun
Hi I’m currently in year 11. I have applied for maths physics and computer science. My initial plan was to go into CS but now it’s oversaturated. I know maths and physics will be a good combo for engineering but I’m not sure about computer science. Will these A levels let me get into a good Russel group uno preferably in London. I want to do aerospace/aeronautical or mechanical engineering. Thanks

Your subjects are fine. You only need maths and physics, your third subject is normally (some exceptions) not that important. CS is fairly relevant and useful since invariably you'll do at least some programming sooner or later.

Further Maths would be ideal for the likes of e.g. Imperial. You may be a bit less competitive there without it.

A uni being in the RG or being in London has no bearing on employability in the engineering sector. You would actually limit yourself, by restricting yourself to that, from plenty of unis which are well known for sending graduates into grad schemes in engineering with a lot of success, e.g. Bath, Bristol, Southampton, Loughborough, Strathclyde, etc.

Quick Reply

Latest