The Student Room Group

What can a history degree lead to?

I am currently doing a history degree but am worried about where i can take it after i graduate as i am not sure i want to become an academic researcher, curator or teacher which seems to be all that comes up when i ask about jobs for history degrees.

Just wondering where people have taken there history degrees? What career has it helped you get? What conversion or masters degrees are available with a history degree?

Thanks.
Job options
Jobs directly related to your degree include:

Academic researcher
Archivist
Heritage manager
Historic buildings inspector/conservation officer
Museum education officer
Museum/gallery curator
Museum/gallery exhibitions officer
Secondary school teacher

Jobs where your degree would be useful include:

Academic librarian
Archaeologist
Broadcast journalist
Civil Service administrator
Editorial assistant
Human resources officer
Information officer
Marketing executive
Policy officer
Politician's assistant
Solicitor
Talent agent

I got that from the prospects website
Original post by ryderh11
I am currently doing a history degree but am worried about where i can take it after i graduate as i am not sure i want to become an academic researcher, curator or teacher which seems to be all that comes up when i ask about jobs for history degrees.

Just wondering where people have taken there history degrees? What career has it helped you get? What conversion or masters degrees are available with a history degree?

Thanks.

Hi @ryderh11

@lucyyy12 has provided an excellent list of potential career pathways which you could take after completing your History Degree.

I personally decided to study further, completing a masters and currently studying for a PhD, but I know from experience that this is not everyone's preferred route.

It is important to consider the types of skills which you have gained from your degree and how these may benefit you as well as any additional experience which you have gained for activities outside of your degree such as perhaps volunteering which you have completed in the time you have been at university.

For example, by explaining, supporting and defending your ideas, you’ll have become a better communicator.

Some individuals decide to complete a masters degree in an unrelated subject. For example, one of my friends who I studied my undergraduate history course with went on to complete a masters in advertising and marketing. Another friend has just applied for a masters in Social Work. There are various routes which you can take.

If you are considering a masters, it is worth researching into the various options and entry requirements for the course

Hope this is helpful

Emily
University of Hull Student Representative

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending