The Student Room Group

Missing a grade

Hi I got a contextual offer from KCL to study history .
I applied for law but I guess my lnat was too low and furthermore I did not do history at gcse or a level
The offer is ABB But I’m scared I’ll get something like ABC. Do you think they will let me in or if i negotiate ? Especially as I think I will get a C in Art A level which is not really relevant to history

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You can ask an see what KCL say. They're a popular uni so may not be willing to move on the grades.
Reply 2
Original post by Shenice599
. Do you think they will let me in or if i negotiate ?

No Uni will allow you to 'negotiate' an offer.

As above, KCL is competitive and if you aren't sure if you want to do that subject, or if you will get the grades, then pick a safer Firm choice
Reply 3
I applied for law but I guess my lnat was too low and furthermore I did not do history at gcse or a level
The offer is ABB But I’m scared I’ll get something like ABC. Do you think they will let me in or if i negotiate ? Especially as I think I will get a C in Art A level which is not really relevant to history

They will get your results before you do and will review your application. Their decision, which you'll get on results day, is final.

Why have you been made an offer for History when you dont even take it and why are you considering taking it.

Kings are trying to fill places in a subject they dont have enough applicants. Ignore it and look elsewhere for the subject you WANT to study. You are not there to help Kings make up its numbers,
Reply 5
Original post by swanseajack1
Why have you been made an offer for History when you dont even take it and why are you considering taking it.

Kings are trying to fill places in a subject they dont have enough applicants. Ignore it and look elsewhere for the subject you WANT to study. You are not there to help Kings make up its numbers,

Thanks but I can do a conversion degree with history for law . The uni definitely matters more than the course in terms of employability
Thanks but I can do a conversion degree with history for law . The uni definitely matters more than the course in terms of employability

If you are happy going to university to study a subject that you have not studied and showed interest in just for the name of the university then that says it all. You have 3 years ahead of you. What happens if you dont enjoy studying History. You will have 3 years of being miserable. The name of the university really isnt the reason for going somewhere. You go to university to take a subject you enjoy.

Kings have used you and you just take it. They didnt think you good enough to make you an offer for Law so offered you a place to fill a space for a subject that didnt interest you
Reply 7
If you are happy going to university to study a subject that you have not studied and showed interest in just for the name of the university then that says it all. You have 3 years ahead of you. What happens if you dont enjoy studying History. You will have 3 years of being miserable. The name of the university really isnt the reason for going somewhere. You go to university to take a subject you enjoy.

Kings have used you and you just take it. They didnt think you good enough to make you an offer for Law so offered you a place to fill a space for a subject that didnt interest you

Erm that’s a bit hostile mate.. I don’t mind studying history. There’s not a degree I would consciously want to take I just want money and the subjects I chose for a levels support law . Like I said I can do a conversion degree
Erm that’s a bit hostile mate.. I don’t mind studying history. There’s not a degree I would consciously want to take I just want money and the subjects I chose for a levels support law . Like I said I can do a conversion degree so stop being jealous U can stay over there with ur #200 rated uni thanks

It isnt hostile it is factual. As you have never taken History you have no idea whether you will enjoy it. Why have Kings turned you down for Law. It is because they have more in their eyes better candidates. The reason they have offered you History is the reverse. The cant fill their places so are looking for others who they didnt consider good enough for Law to fill the places on courses they cant fill.

This isnt the only time this has happened, Another example was Bristol rejecting Medicine applicants which as you can imagine is heavily over subscribed and offering them other courses they cannot fill.

The difficulty is that you are gullible and fall for this.

The most important thing for any student is take a course that interest and excites them. Clearly history didnt with you. You never took it at A level or applied for it and are only taking it now to get into Kings. There are many students who end up starting courses drop out or apply for other courses and change universities. There are god knows how many each year and there are loads of threads here. This is an effort to stop you becoming one of those.

You need to go to a university to take a course that interests you and not being a mug who has fallen for Kings efforts to use you to fill a place they cannot fill. If you decide to start this course and hate it then that is your responsibility. As far as I am concerned you would get what you deserve if you reject the advice to stop this happening. I wont waste any more time on you.
This is taken off another thread today and perhaps explain why I am concerned for you

'm a former MechEng student at The University of Edinburgh. After starting straight after my A Levels in September, I withdrew in February after deciding I I didn't like my course / the uni to try to get onto an economics degree (I applied in January before I left, and given I am much more interested in economics I should have done that initially anyway).
Reply 10
This is taken off another thread today and perhaps explain why I am concerned for you

'm a former MechEng student at The University of Edinburgh. After starting straight after my A Levels in September, I withdrew in February after deciding I I didn't like my course / the uni to try to get onto an economics degree (I applied in January before I left, and given I am much more interested in economics I should have done that initially anyway).

Ok I understand thanks for your effort but you keep ignoring the fact I can do a conversion degree and still be a lawyer with a history degree. If I was suppressing a deep passion to study something else just for the sake of going to a Russel group then fairs. I do not have slight interest in any degree in the world. I only have a slight interest to become a lawyer and I can still become one with a history degree. In actual fact I think history is a lot more interesting than law and I’m actually excited to try it. Worst case scenario I can switch degrees but I do doubt this. I study English a level which is similar to history and I have no problems with it
Ok I understand thanks for your effort but you keep ignoring the fact I can do a conversion degree and still be a lawyer with a history degree. If I was suppressing a deep passion to study something else just for the sake of going to a Russel group then fairs. I do not have slight interest in any degree in the world. I only have a slight interest to become a lawyer and I can still become one with a history degree. In actual fact I think history is a lot more interesting than law and I’m actually excited to try it. Worst case scenario I can switch degrees but I do doubt this. I study English a level which is similar to history and I have no problems with it

That just explains my point. Why werent you offered English at least you have an interest in that. They are using you because probably English was full like Law. The bottom line is taking a subject you are really interested in and following Modules that you will best enjoy is what matters. If Kings had offered you say Physics or Chemistry would you still have taken it because you do a conversion course. What about say Arabic, Maths or Biology.
Reply 12
That just explains my point. Why werent you offered English at least you have an interest in that. They are using you because probably English was full like Law. The bottom line is taking a subject you are really interested in and following Modules that you will best enjoy is what matters. If Kings had offered you say Physics or Chemistry would you still have taken it because you do a conversion course. What about say Arabic, Maths or Biology.

I definitely do not want to study English , there’s no careers I’m interested in that can come from English and I also just wouldn’t want to do it. I don’t see degrees as worth doing just because you enjoy them, it’s about what you can do with them? Like for the third time I can pursue a legal career with a history degree . Obviously I wouldn’t take any course but like I said I wouldn’t mind doing history, it’s not like I have no clue what it is ?? Kcl offered me a place for history and I want to take it, you telling me I’m a “filler” doesn’t decrease my interest to study history at uni. If they offered me to study dancing no the hell I would not take it
How do you know you would enjoy History enough to do well in it? How do you know if you would actually be any good at it? It is a subject you have never been tested in, or tried out. Do you know what is required in a History degree? You think you do but are your assumptions true? Its no good as a conversion if you can't do well enough in it in the first place.

You have been offered good advice from someone who has experienced expertise in this and it is worth taking the time to decide if you are really accepting this degree course for the right reasons. Its very tempting because it is so close to what you want to do, I get that. But do you really know what you are getting into?
Just to add that this is yet another example of King's using history as a dumping ground for applicants they rejected from other courses.
Reply 15

Just because the OP didn’t study history at A-Level, doesn’t mean they can’t enjoy it. I didn’t study history at A level, but I have a burning passion for it. Worst case scenario she doesn’t enjoy it, she can always use clearing. The OP said she can do law after uni with a history degree. Therefor I think that motivation is valid and will allow her to battle through. I want to work as a DCI in the police for children and safeguarding. Instead of choosing to apply directly with the police. I Chose to study social work and then apply directly after uni. I have no interest in being a social worker. However there are similarities. Would you tell me that my passion is less? 😂 Having a passion for the subject in your chosen degree is beneficial. However if your motivation is the career prospects that coincide, I think that’s just as valid. Obviously if they offered her Arabic instead, she’s not going to take it. As previously stated because it does not align with her after goal, law.
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by als2507
Just because the OP didn’t study history at A-Level, doesn’t mean they can’t enjoy it. I didn’t study history at A level, but I have a burning passion for it. Worst case scenario she doesn’t enjoy it, she can always use clearing. I want to work as a DCI in the police in children and safeguarding. Instead of choosing to apply directly with the police. I Chose to study social work and then apply directly after uni. I have no interest in being a social worker. However there are similarities. Would you tell me that my passion is less? 😂😂

Having a burning desire for a subject isnt the same thing as just taking it because a university offers it because it cant fill its places and didnt make an offer for the subject she wanted to study. Read the post before yours. That will tell you everything about Kings and history.

There are thousands of students every year who end up leaving universities for not enjoying their courses and just taking a subject a university wishes to dump on you is far more likely to cause this. History is very wide and anyone taking it needs to fully research what exactly they will be studying.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 17
Having a burning desire for a subject isnt the same thing as just taking it because a university offers it because it cant fill its places and didnt make an offer for the subject she wanted to study. Read the post before yours. That will tell you everything about Kings and history.

Yes I saw, and that may be true. However it’s worked out in the OP’s favour. Obviously if they offered the OP Arabic instead and they just accepted it. Then I would side with you. However history and law do coincide. They can lead to the same career prospects. If OP has a passion for the career prospects and life after uni. I think that’s a valid motivator. It doesn’t matter if they want to fill their places. It’s worked out in OP’s favour, either way.

How do you know OP has not done research on what the degree entails? The fact they know where it can lead shows they’ve probably done their research.

They stated that they have no interested in ANY degree and would find history more interesting in law. Their interest is only their end goal - being a lawyer.

If OP has an interest or drive to be a lawyer. I think that’s motivating enough. Doesn’t matter if they want her to fill a place.

I think your view is too black and white and you should look at the bigger picture x
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by als2507
Yes I saw, and that may be true. However it’s worked out in the OP’s favour. Obviously if they offered the OP Arabic instead and they just accepted it. Then I would side with you. However history and law do coincide. They can lead to the same career prospects. If OP has a passion for the career prospects and life after uni. I think that’s a valid motivator. It doesn’t matter if they want to fill their places. It’s worked out in OP’s favour, either way.

Has it though. They are taking a subject they have no knowledge of. As far as I am concerned I am out of this. You can take a horse to water but you cant make it drink it. What is clear is that OP is only doing this to try to get on a law conversion course not because of a compassion in history. Someone getting ABC will not get into Law at any major university. Will they get through a degree to do a conversion course. Time will tell.
Reply 19
Has it though. They are taking a subject they have no knowledge of. As far as I am concerned I am out of this. You can take a horse to water but you cant make it drink it. What is clear is that OP is only doing this to try to get on a law conversion course not because of a compassion in history. Someone getting ABC will not get into Law at any major university. Will they get through a degree to do a conversion course. Time will tell.

Exactly only time will tell. But we don’t know them, so who are we to tell them what they are and are not capable of. I think her passion to be a lawyer will motivate her to pursue the degree. Just because they haven’t studied it at A level. Doesn’t mean they don’t have knowledge. They might research in their spare time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending