velaris08
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi - I'm struggling to spot this specific thing when I'm integrating - I've attached it below. I just don't understand what it is or where it comes from. I get that if I factorise u^2 - 4 I get (u-2)(u+2)... but even if I worked backwards, and used that to try to get to u^2/u^2-4 I don't? I get 4/u^2-4. and where's the 1 coming from? Help!!
Attached files
Last edited by velaris08; 3 weeks ago
englishhopeful98
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
u squared over u squared
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by velaris08)
Hi - I'm struggling to spot this specific thing when I'm integrating - I've attached it below. I just don't understand what it is or where it comes from. I get that if I factorise u^2 - 4 I get (u-2)(u+2)... but even if I worked backwards, and used that to try to get to u^2/u^2-4 I don't? I get 4/u^2-4. and where's the 1 coming from? Help!!
Exam questions often suggest the substitution and with practice you will recognise when it's useful.

The 1 comes from splitting the integral into partial fractions - when the numerator and denominator have the same highest power you have to divide [like a 'top heavy' fraction.

Maybe revise partial fractions?
velaris08
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Muttley79)
Exam questions often suggest the substitution and with practice you will recognise when it's useful.

The 1 comes from splitting the integral into partial fractions - when the numerator and denominator have the same highest power you have to divide [like a 'top heavy' fraction.

Maybe revise partial fractions?
Oh... got it - so dividing the u^2 s like in partial fractions leaves you with the 4/u^2-4... which is the same as 1/(u - 2) - 1/(u + 2)...
I'm like speed learning all the content so recognising those links is difficult for me sometimes - gotta get into doing questions to get better ASAP.
Last edited by velaris08; 3 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (57)
14.65%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (98)
25.19%
I'm a bit unsure (67)
17.22%
I'm finding things difficult (133)
34.19%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (34)
8.74%

Watched Threads