The Student Room Group

expansion of (4-5x)^1/2

I know that the genral formular for binomial expansion with rational powers is: (1+x)^n= 1+nx+n(n-1)/2! and so on.
However I dont under stand how the first and second terms of the expansion are 2 and 5/4x. Surely they should be 4 and 5/2x as n in this case is 1/2 and x is 5x. What am i doing wrong here?
Can you show the working and I can highlight the error ? I’m assuming you may have taken the 4 out of the brackets but not taken the power with it….?
Original post by ImBadAt
I know that the genral formular for binomial expansion with rational powers is: (1+x)^n= 1+nx+n(n-1)/2! and so on.
However I dont under stand how the first and second terms of the expansion are 2 and 5/4x. Surely they should be 4 and 5/2x as n in this case is 1/2 and x is 5x. What am i doing wrong here?

You want to expand (45x)12(4-5x)^{\frac{1}{2}}, but your formula is to expand (1+x)n(1+x)^n. It's fairly obvious that you can replace x with something else, but not the 1. You need to manipulate your initial equation, to get it into the form of your second one. To do this, you need to make that 4 a 1 - how are you going to do that?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Maths Fan
Can you show the working and I can highlight the error ? I’m assuming you may have taken the 4 out of the brackets but not taken the power with it….?

4+(1/2)(5x)+1/2(-1/2)*x^2/2! for the first 3 terms

so should it be 4^1/2 as the first term giving 2. But then how is 5/4x made?
(edited 2 years ago)
So from your working I can see you’ve not manipulated the bracket correctly at the start.
(4-5x)^1/2 , needs to be changed so it’s in the required form to continue if that makes sense?
Reply 5
Original post by Maths Fan
So from your working I can see you’ve not manipulated the bracket correctly at the start.
(4-5x)^1/2 , needs to be changed so it’s in the required form to continue if that makes sey

Yes that makes sence, Thankyou. I needed to factor out ther 4 right?
(edited 2 years ago)
Yes correct and don’t forget the power should go with it.
Original post by ImBadAt
Yes that makes sence, Thankyou. I needed to factor out ther 4 right?

Don't forget the power too ...
Reply 8
Original post by Muttley79
Don't forget the power too ...

ok so i factor out 4^1/2 which is 2. I then do the expansion of (1+5/2x)^1/2. And im assuming that at the end i would multiply all the terms by 4^1/2?
Original post by ImBadAt
ok so i factor out 4^1/2 which is 2. I then do the expansion of (1+5/2x)^1/2. And im assuming that at the end i would multiply all the terms by 4^1/2?

Inside the bracket it will be 5x/4 but otherwise correct.

Quick Reply

Latest