The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Dr_Death
The best cars on the market - are 30-year-old Landrovers with gearboxes full of spanners and old nails and no seat cushions.

You, Good sir, are a God, I could not agree more!

I drive a 13 year old Range Rover for my first car - expensive, but damm it's worth it.

If I were you, I would avoid French cars like the plague - they're crap - all of them. They have the worst trim and general build quality imaginable.

There are no truely 'British' manufactures anymore - they're all owned by Germands or Yanks. Morgan is the only real British car company left (apart from a few who produce like 15 cars per year!), and they are waaaayyy out of first time buyer's budgets.

I would definitely go the Japanese route. Any Toyota will be fantastic build/reliability wise, although they will not be the best to drive. Same for Hondas.

Seriosly, the way to go is Ebay. You can buy decent cars there if you know what you're doing. I got mine off there. If you know nowt about cars, take along a mate who does.

Also, try main dealers. Crazy as it sounds, most main dealers get a lot of 15 year old cars in part exchange, which they can obviously not sell on, even though they're T and T. It costs the dealers around £150 to scrap them, so if you tell the dealer 'I'll give you £20 for it' they are still saving £170. This happens much more than you may think, so phone around all the main dealers in your area and ask if they've got any - chances are one of them does!
Reply 41
Jemeremy Clarkson bought a perfectly good E reg Volvo 940 with electric everything and ABS for £1 this way.
amazingtrade
My mate wants a Citreon AX and I am trying to talk him out of it, he dosn't realise £1000 for an old 1980s design is far too much.

Your mate's nuts!!!! They're OK cars (unsafe granted), but £1000 is obscene, even for a minter with FSH, etc.

£200 tops. For that he should get a good one........a very, very good one. Any more - he's being ripped off. Track some on Ebay to get a realistic price, then take 20% off.
Reply 43
He knows nothing about cars has his dads a snob who has somthing against Fiat Puntos despite building quality being up with Ford and Vauxhall by the mid 90s. If he gets an AX or 106MKI I am not getting in it.
Reply 44
LOL i'll make sure i don't do that!

Latest

Trending

Trending