The Student Room Group

how to set up uni halls room?

im moving across the country to my uni and living in halls for first year. im not sure how ill manage moving stuff in though. my dad offered to come with me just to help me set things up but i don't want to look like an idiot even though it would be a big help.
Original post by Anonymous
im moving across the country to my uni and living in halls for first year. im not sure how ill manage moving stuff in though. my dad offered to come with me just to help me set things up but i don't want to look like an idiot even though it would be a big help.

The majority of students turn up with their parents in tow. You won't look like an idiot.
Reply 2
Don't worry because most people I know bring their parents with them otherwise it's too difficult to unpack. Also, it would be nice for your dad to see where you will be living to make sure that you are comfortable and happy in your new room.
Reply 3
In the first few weeks of moving in, cities and Uni campuses are grid locked by a tsunami of parental cars with parents and siblings all roped in, with human chains to carrying anything and everything up lifts and flights of stairs to your new living place. You will be just one of many all doing the same.

This is the first lesson in learning to be brave and to stop bothering what others will think. Uni is the best place to learn how not to be so shy and retiring.

Giving a helping hand to your neighbours with all their mountains of stuff when moving in is one of the best fun ways of meeting new friends (get that kettle on)

You are so lucky and don't realise it. Snatch your Dad's hand off because everyone knows that dragging furniture on a coach or train journey many times over is no fun at all, and not everyone has a Dad
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 4
You won't look an idiot. Most people turn up with parents
Reply 5

Your dad’s help is what you need. Don't play yourself.
Agree with @Muttly

It is a nightmare dragging luggage on public transport! You expect people to offer to help or show some consideration and most people don't : (

(I have recently brought stuff home for the summer and ended up backing more than expected. It was a nightmare, especially in the warm weather!)

For my first year, I got help from my family to take my luggage to and on to the Underground but took the train alone to the North.

I had to switch trains and it was a complete pain with my luggage. I kept expecting someone to offer to help, but no did until another student on their way to a festival had compassion on me.

Long story short: make your life as easy as possible when it comes to luggage.

It's ideal if someone will drive you to your new accommodation. If not, it's better to ask/ even pay the ticket for a friend/family member to accompany you all the way to your halls. They will be able to help with any unexpected problems, help you feel more reassured about your new place, watch stuff, and help you navigate the nearest supermarket. If none of these things work, definitely plan for a taxi or see if the university is offering any lifts from any coach/train stations (or airports if you are an international student).

Everyone always wants to avoid packing too much, but when you haven't been somewhere before and you don't want to have to buy things you already have or be looking for places to buy various things, then you inevitably end up carrying more things than you want to and everything adds up!

Take all the help you can get,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield
Reply 7
thanks to everyone for the advice. ill ask my dad to come along and help me unpack then. it would definitely be more convenient. didnt know that most people do the same but nice to know i wont be out of place.

Hey there!
For my first and second year my parents came to help me move in. I live three hours away from my uni so it was a huge help to have them there, especially when I had a few heavy items to carry such as a chest of drawers, TV etc. Most students have their parents helping them move in so you won't look like an idiot at all. I always see it as a good final day to spend together with your family and it would definitely be worth him coming to help you. Moving-in wise, before I went I got everything that I'd need for the first day including all my kitchen bits, bedding and things like a bin for my room. Then, once I'd got there I went shopping with my mum for things like food, toiletries and other essentials. This just meant we weren't taking up unnecessary room in the car on the way. It also helped me to get bigger things that would be more of a struggle to just grab and walk back to my accommodation with by myself such as value packs of toilet paper, large packs of raw meat (I buy bigger packs and freeze these individually in sandwich bags) and decoration for my room such as a rug that would have just been a nightmare to carry back with me by myself.

It's better to have someone helping you because it also helps remind you of things you may have forgotten. Get the basic essentials at home and then grab everything else when you get to university.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Hi there,
There's nothing wrong with asking for help moving into your new accommodation. When I was at uni, many people brought multiple family members to assist and also to show their family where they'd be living for the next year. Your Dad doesn't need to hang around for long if you don't feel comfortable with having family present but long enough to get all of your belongings moved in.

Hope this helps!

- Sophie
Hello there!

Some really great advice on here already, but just thought I'd add my thoughts to try and help some more :smile:

When I arrived at University, I would say save for the few flatmates who had flown over from overseas, pretty much all of us had our parents there - my dad even ended up helping other students and their parents lift things out of cars! I actually found it a really nice experience, meeting my new flatmates this way; and I would imagine its a positive experience for the parents too. Moving to uni is a huge change for the students, but its also a big change and an emotional time for parents and in a way they're also all in the same boat :smile:. So please rest assured, you will absolutely not look silly bringing a parent to arrivals weekend.

If you are still nervous about this, what I did was to bring my dad where he helped me (and a few of my flatmates!) move my stuff to my room, then afterwards whilst I chatted to my new hallmates, he took the car to town, got me a big IKEA bag full of groceries (again, to save room in the car and to stop things going off, I'd come with no food except a bag of pasta!), then brought it back up to me to say a last farewell; a few of us did something very similar.

I hope that helps some more - best of luck for arrivals and for your first year!

Holly
University of Bath

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending