The Student Room Group

Five stages of an A level Biologist

1. Denial The first reaction is denial. In this stage, individuals deny the truth that Biology is all about the “key words”, and cling to a false, preferable reality. “Nah this must be an outdated marking” “I will still get the mark with the same idea shown” “This marking is just too specific, it won’t be the same for other questions”
2. Anger When the individual recognizes that denial cannot continue, they become frustrated, especially at proximate individuals. Certain psychological responses of a person undergoing this phase would be: "Why can’t I replace the phrase “down the conc. grad.” with “by diffusion”? It's not fair!"; "Why must I give you the exact wordings to get the mark but not synonyms?"; "How can I still get an E while I am pretty familiar with what the topic is about! "; "Give me back my grade! **** ***! ".” Are you telling me that doing biology is not necessary for that course !?!?”
3. Bargaining The third stage involves the hope that the individual can avoid a cause of grief. People facing less serious trauma can bargain or seek compromise. Examples include the year 13 student who "negotiates with God" to at least score an C, an attempt to bargain for a happier academic life in exchange for another subject or a phrase such as "If I could trade what they’re doing for mine".
4. Depression "Taking Biology in A level is the biggest mistake I have made in my whole lifetime."; "I'm going to fail another test soon, so what's the point of wasting my time on these?"; "I missed the days doing physics/economics in year 11.".
During the fourth stage, the individual despairs at the recognition of the circumstances. In this state, the individual may become silent, refuse to learn new topics and spend much of the time on looking back and sorrowing over their academic life.
5. Acceptance "I can't understand it; I may as well prepare for it.",” Another day another test to fail.”,” Depressing is not an option.”,” At least I have learnt how organisms works.”
In this last stage, individuals embrace low grades or inevitable future, or other tragic event like failing even more tests. People dropping may precede the new learners in this state, which typically comes with a calm, retrospective view for the individual, and a stable condition of emotions.

Sorry guys this is not a question at all, this is just for sharing my exprience in doing biology.
Lastly, to those who are planning to do Biology in A level, you deserve a better choice.
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Is calling an A-level student "biologist" a thing? :colonhash:.. does taking maths and FM make me a mathematician? :colondollar:
Reply 2
Original post by summerbirdreads
Is calling an A-level student "biologist" a thing? :colonhash:.. does taking maths and FM make me a mathematician? :colondollar:

Perhaps, i dont know... but it's true that our chemistry teacher call us an A level chemist.
Original post by FesOsorpro

4. Depression "Taking Biology in A level is the biggest mistake I have made in my whole lifetime."; "I'm going to fail another test soon, so what's the point of wasting my time on these?"; "I missed the days doing physics/economics in year 11.".

Damn.. I wanted to do bio but parents made me pick phys.... :colonhash:.. I'm glad ig.
Perhaps, i dont know... but it's true that our chemistry teacher call us an A level chemist.

Our chemistry teacher doesn't do that... rude.
1. Denial The first reaction is denial. In this stage, individuals deny the truth that Biology is all about the “key words”, and cling to a false, preferable reality. “Nah this must be an outdated marking” “I will still get the mark with the same idea shown” “This marking is just too specific, it won’t be the same for other questions”
2. Anger When the individual recognizes that denial cannot continue, they become frustrated, especially at proximate individuals. Certain psychological responses of a person undergoing this phase would be: "Why can’t I replace the phrase “down the conc. grad.” with “by diffusion”? It's not fair!"; "Why must I give you the exact wordings to get the mark but not synonyms?"; "How can I still get an E while I am pretty familiar with what the topic is about! "; "Give me back my grade! **** ***! ".” Are you telling me that doing biology is not necessary for that course !?!?”
3. Bargaining The third stage involves the hope that the individual can avoid a cause of grief. People facing less serious trauma can bargain or seek compromise. Examples include the year 13 student who "negotiates with God" to at least score an C, an attempt to bargain for a happier academic life in exchange for another subject or a phrase such as "If I could trade what they’re doing for mine".
During the fourth stage, the individual despairs at the recognition of the circumstances. In this state, the individual may become silent, refuse to learn new topics and spend much of the time on looking back and sorrowing over their academic life.
5. Acceptance "I can't understand it; I may as well prepare for it.",” Another day another destiny.”,” Depressing is not an option.”,” At least I have learnt how organisms works.”
In this last stage, individuals embrace low grades or inevitable future, or other tragic event like failing even more tests. People dropping may precede the new learners in this state, which typically comes with a calm, retrospective view for the individual, and a stable condition of emotions.

Sorry guys this is not a question at all, this is just for sharing my exprience in doing biology.
Lastly, to those who are planning to do Biology in A level, you deserve a better choice.

The problem is that people sometimes think biology is the 'easy science' option, and it's all about flowers and ponies and colouring in. They soon find otherwise.
Reply 6
Damn.. I wanted to do bio but parents made me pick phys.... :colonhash:.. I'm glad ig.

Well if you are better in mathematics, taking physics may be a better choice as you get less workload.
6) forget all the plant stuff after your final exams
(edited 2 years ago)
Well if you are better in mathematics, taking physics may be a better choice as you get less workload.

Yeah, I don't regret it.
Reply 9
Original post by Reality Check
The problem is that people sometimes think biology is the 'easy science' option, and it's all about flowers and ponies and colouring in. They soon find otherwise.

haha agree, and im one of them :'(
lol thanks for sharing this
5. Acceptance "I can't understand it; I may as well prepare for it.",” Another day another destiny.”,” Depressing is not an option.”,” At least I have learnt how organisms works.”

this is gunna put some people off biology
Original post by Obolinda
lol thanks for sharing this

Thx for spending your time on reading this too!

Chemistry is the easy science, a very subjective opinion, I know :colondollar:.
Chemistry is the easy science, a very subjective opinion, I know :colondollar:.

You're like me - I always found chemistry made complete sense to me.
You're like me - I always found chemistry made complete sense to me.

Yes, chemistry makes so much sense and is pretty easy once you understand the concepts.

It was wierd because I was called a Chemist, Biologist and Mathematician - mate I'm none of them:lol:

The only one which was accurate was EPQer
(edited 2 years ago)
Ummm I am scared no I do A-level Biology - what were ur other alevels?
LMAO this is literally so accurate
Original post by chris01928
It was wierd because I was called a Chemist, Biologist and Mathematician - mate I'm none of them:lol:

The only one which was accurate was EPQer

Well, in that case I'm; a chemist, physicist and mathematician...

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest