The Student Room Group

Career in science and research

Hi,
I'm currently a scientist working at UCL. I have a BSc in Biochemistry and a PhD in Cancer Cell Biology. I used to work on trying to understand how cancer cells spread and metastasize, but my current research is trying to understand how physical forces affect immune cell dynamics. I also run a Science communication channel on Tiktok/Instagram of the same name where I share all of my microscopy videos.

When I started my undergrad, I really was not aware of most of the things I could do with this degree. I had some concepts and ideas but as I learn more, I discover that with just a few tweaks here and there, there is a whole lot of things you can do with it for a career. I learn that the earlier you figure out what you want to do, the better you can tailor and prepare yourself to find the right career later on, especially with a degree in Biochemistry. I did not have anyone to tell me then, but I thought I could be the one to tell you now.

So if you have any questions regarding this topic, whether it's career wise, research wise, or even just to share your opinion with me, drop them in the comments. I'm more than happy to help and discuss wherever I can.
Reply 1
Original post by TheBioCosmos
Hi,
I'm currently a scientist working at UCL. I have a BSc in Biochemistry and a PhD in Cancer Cell Biology. I used to work on trying to understand how cancer cells spread and metastasize, but my current research is trying to understand how physical forces affect immune cell dynamics. I also run a Science communication channel on Tiktok/Instagram of the same name where I share all of my microscopy videos.

When I started my undergrad, I really was not aware of most of the things I could do with this degree. I had some concepts and ideas but as I learn more, I discover that with just a few tweaks here and there, there is a whole lot of things you can do with it for a career. I learn that the earlier you figure out what you want to do, the better you can tailor and prepare yourself to find the right career later on, especially with a degree in Biochemistry. I did not have anyone to tell me then, but I thought I could be the one to tell you now.

So if you have any questions regarding this topic, whether it's career wise, research wise, or even just to share your opinion with me, drop them in the comments. I'm more than happy to help and discuss wherever I can.

Hi, currently doing my A-levels and thinking about doing a BSC or integrated masters in biology to hopefully become a research scientist.
How did you find the process of applying for a PhD considering you only had a bachelors? I've heard that its more difficult than when your applying without a masters
How do you find the job market? Is there stability/ a guarantee that you might acquire a job after university?
Any general advice for someone hoping to become a scientist and struggling to decide if the effort is really worth it. I enjoy biology and have met several scientists, but it might be a gamble choosing a degree where the career prospects after graduation are limited.
Thank you!
Reply 2
Original post by kjgnkklkl
Hi, currently doing my A-levels and thinking about doing a BSC or integrated masters in biology to hopefully become a research scientist.
How did you find the process of applying for a PhD considering you only had a bachelors? I've heard that its more difficult than when your applying without a masters
How do you find the job market? Is there stability/ a guarantee that you might acquire a job after university?
Any general advice for someone hoping to become a scientist and struggling to decide if the effort is really worth it. I enjoy biology and have met several scientists, but it might be a gamble choosing a degree where the career prospects after graduation are limited.
Thank you!

Hi, Thank you for asking.
The process of applying for a PhD and whether it is difficult or not depends a lot on your CV. If you have a decent amount of lab experience if you aim for a wet lab PhD or coding experience with dataset (Python, R etc) for a dry lab, and you can show that in your Personal Statement and interview, then a Master is not required and you are not any less competitive than a master student. From my experience, applying to a PhD has a lot of flexibility to it. By that, I mean if you get through the first round of application which only requires you to have at least a 2:1 for your degree, and get to the interview stage, the PI will look at your character and knowledge rather than what degree you have.
The only time that I would think a Master degree will be very beneficial is when you switch your topic for your PhD. Let say your BSc is in Biochemistry and you don't really have much coding experience, but you want to pursue a PhD in Bioinformatics, then a Master in let say Computational Biology will be very useful and will certainly make you comparable to other candidates who already got a lot of coding experience from their BSc degree.

If you want to become an academic, working as a researcher in an academic lab, the competition is extremely high. An analysis shows that for every 200 PhD students, only 7 made it to permanent positions in academia. A career in academia, I'm not going to sugarcoat it, is very long and can be very very stressful. You finish 3 years undergrad, 4 years PhD, and then 4-6+ years as postdoc and you will need to have lots of publications before you can even consider applying for a more permanent position. So there is no guarantee for this because it depends strongly on your project, if you're in the right lab at the right time and if you're brilliant, you can make a project work and produce high-quality research, then you may have a chance. Of course, academics have certain prestige that comes with it, but is it worth the hassle? I'm not so sure.

I would recommend you keep an open mind because, with a PhD in biomedical research, you can do A LOT more than just going into academia. Many industry positions offer amazing progress and salary and you can still get to do research. If you're good at writing, you can go into medical writing or science communication, which offers a lot of flexibility, and the pay is not bad at all. If you enjoy policy making, you can certainly go into science policy, working for the like of Wellcome Trust or CRUK or BBSRC, etc to set out new policies to help science progress. Or if you can even go into banking, finance, etc because you are trained to look at data and analyze them in your PhD (I know people who have done this), so these soft skills are gonna be very important for jobs like these in other sectors. So it is only limited if you choose to be so, a PhD does not mean only academia!

Hope this helps.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by TheBioCosmos
Hi, Thank you for asking.
The process of applying for a PhD and whether it is difficult or not depends a lot on your CV. If you have a decent amount of lab experience if you aim for a wet lab PhD or coding experience with dataset (Python, R etc) for a dry lab, and you can show that in your Personal Statement and interview, then a Master is not required and you are not any less competitive than a master student. From my experience, applying to a PhD has a lot of flexibility to it. By that, I mean if you get through the first round of application which only requires you to have at least a 2:1 for your degree, and get to the interview stage, the PI will look at your character and knowledge rather than what degree you have.
The only time that I would think a Master degree will be very beneficial is when you switch your topic for your PhD. Let say your BSc is in Biochemistry and you don't really have much coding experience, but you want to pursue a PhD in Bioinformatics, then a Master in let say Computational Biology will be very useful and will certainly make you comparable to other candidates who already got a lot of coding experience from their BSc degree.

If you want to become an academic, working as a researcher in an academic lab, the competition is extremely high. An analysis shows that for every 200 PhD students, only 7 made it to permanent positions in academia. A career in academia, I'm not going to sugarcoat it, is very long and can be very very stressful. You finish 3 years undergrad, 4 years PhD, and then 4-6+ years as postdoc and you will need to have lots of publications before you can even consider applying for a more permanent position. So there is no guarantee for this because it depends strongly on your project, if you're in the right lab at the right time and if you're brilliant, you can make a project work and produce high-quality research, then you may have a chance. Of course, academics have certain prestige that comes with it, but is it worth the hassle? I'm not so sure.

I would recommend you keep an open mind because, with a PhD in biomedical research, you can do A LOT more than just going into academia. Many industry positions offer amazing progress and salary and you can still get to do research. If you're good at writing, you can go into medical writing or science communication, which offers a lot of flexibility, and the pay is not bad at all. If you enjoy policy making, you can certainly go into science policy, working for the like of Wellcome Trust or CRUK or BBSRC, etc to set out new policies to help science progress. Or if you can even go into banking, finance, etc because you are trained to look at data and analyze them in your PhD (I know people who have done this), so these soft skills are gonna be very important for jobs like these in other sectors. So it is only limited if you choose to be so, a PhD does not mean only academia!

Hope this helps.

Hello,

Thank you so much for your reply. It was really helpful in putting things in perspective and showing me potential career opportunities. I just have a couple more questions:

What's it like to work as a scientist, and how has the journey been for you? What is the work-life balance like, and do you find the role fulfilling?

I’d love to hear some more about your research. What exactly do you mean by immune cell dynamics? Do you look at the immune cells within humans or other organisms?

Lastly, do you think the university you go to has a large effect on future career prospects and/or post-grad opportunities? Currently, I'm stuck deciding between an integrated master’s at Warwick or Birmingham. They’re both decent universities, but I'm wondering if I should choose Warwick as it's higher up in the league table.

Thanks again for your reply, and I'm sorry if I've bombarded you with questions. Also, feel free to include any additional information you feel is important! 🙂
Reply 4
Original post by kjgnkklkl
Hello,

Thank you so much for your reply. It was really helpful in putting things in perspective and showing me potential career opportunities. I just have a couple more questions:

What's it like to work as a scientist, and how has the journey been for you? What is the work-life balance like, and do you find the role fulfilling?

I’d love to hear some more about your research. What exactly do you mean by immune cell dynamics? Do you look at the immune cells within humans or other organisms?

Lastly, do you think the university you go to has a large effect on future career prospects and/or post-grad opportunities? Currently, I'm stuck deciding between an integrated master’s at Warwick or Birmingham. They’re both decent universities, but I'm wondering if I should choose Warwick as it's higher up in the league table.

Thanks again for your reply, and I'm sorry if I've bombarded you with questions. Also, feel free to include any additional information you feel is important! 🙂

Hi,
You're welcome. Here are my answers to you:

I think being a scientist certainly has its perks. We get to do very cool experiments and design very clever ways to answer a certain question. To me, being a scientist is definitely for those who have a natural curiosity. You get to ask why, and how all day every day, and then get to actually go into the lab and test that out. You know how people sometimes just ask I wonder what happen if we add this water to a tree, would it change its growth? Or what happens if I mix these drugs together, will it kill bacteria more? Normal people can only ask and rarely get to do the actual experiments to answer. But scientists get to ask and then answer it. And when you get the answer, it's very fulfilling.
Working in a lab can be exhausting. You do often work long hours and late at night or in the weekend, and you don't get paid for those extra hours (this is why scientists are underpaid). But you get to decide what and when to do those experiments. So self-discipline is very important for a work-life balance. You can control it, but I do know scientists can be very bad at this and we just stuck in the lab the whole day because we often feel like we're not doing enough.

Yes, immunodynamics is basically looking at the dynamic of the immune system, in my case, immune cells, and how they move around and respond to the environment. My background is in the field of cell migration, so I try to understand how cells move. I used to work in a cancer metastasis lab, looking at how cancer cells use different proteins to help them move. If you want to see some of these videos, you can search for my TikTok or Instagram of the same name and you know what I mean. I use a lot of microscopy to film cells and analyse their movement both on a dish and inside a living animal. Immunodynamics can also mean the change in gene expression of immune cells over time too but this isn't what I'm working on.

I strongly believe it does! So it turns out that a degree in let say Biochemistry is taught very differently between different universities. Apart from the core modules like pH, enzyme, etc, the extra add-on to these degrees depends on the strength of the university that you went to. I did my BSc in Bristol and they are very strong in cell biology and microscopy. Pretty much most of my lecturers are cell biologists/cancer biologists, so this has shaped my interest towards cell biology, hence my PhD was in Cancer Cell Biology and I used a lot of microscopy for my work.
So to choose which uni to go to, make sure you look at their curriculum, but also check the profiles of the lecturers in the department and see if any align with your interest. For example, I know Birmingham is better known for their immunology/parasitology work, while Warwick is more known for mathematical/mechano/cell biology (which aligns with my research actually).
In terms of whether an uni can help with your post-grad opportunities, as long as you did a good job during your undergrad, and even better if you have good mentors/professors in the field that you want to go into. Usually within the field, people know each other's work. But you can certainly switch between fields too given that you can demonstrate it with your interest/publications later on/ etc.

Hope this helps! Any question, feel free to let me know.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending