The Student Room Group

Will my GCSE’s prevent me getting an interview at Oxford

I am looking to apply for history at Oxford next year. I am predicted 2A* in economics and history and an A in maths.

However at GCSE I got 98887777666 with the 9 being in history and the two 6 being in English. I suffered from depression from early year 10 until late lower sixth which caused my grades to be lower than was expected of me and would like to know if this will cause me to not get an interview at Oxford
Original post by User669
I am looking to apply for history at Oxford next year. I am predicted 2A* in economics and history and an A in maths.

However at GCSE I got 98887777666 with the 9 being in history and the two 6 being in English. I suffered from depression from early year 10 until late lower sixth which caused my grades to be lower than was expected of me and would like to know if this will cause me to not get an interview at Oxford

For history? You should be ok. @Oxford Mum knows all however, so take her advice! Do you go to a state school?
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply. I go to a private school but it’s one that is less academically inclined (if that makes any difference) so my grades still put me top 10 in my year
Original post by User669
Thanks for the reply. I go to a private school but it’s one that is less academically inclined (if that makes any difference) so my grades still put me top 10 in my year

You will be fine to apply for history. I know someone who got in with 2x8/9s at gcse. Plus you only need aaa at a level for history
Reply 4
Oxford and Cambridge use GCSEs as a 'Performance Indicator'. They've stated on their website that successful applicants usually had a fair number of 7s, 8s and 9s at GCSE and you have well more than a few, heheh. I suspect it's simply just because if you've done well in your A-Levels, chances are that you did well in your GCSE's. Though Oxbridge do reiterate that GCSEs are a playground football game compared to the big leagues(A-Levels and your personal statement). So I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

Note: Though I'm not a student at Oxbridge, my college has had 4 people in the last 3 years go on to do History at Oxford and this is just information I'm relaying back from my form tutor.
Original post by CatInTheCorner
For history? You should be ok. @Oxford Mum knows all however, so take her advice! Do you go to a state school?

I got in this year for law with 99988766 and with the same predicted grades as you, just in different subjects. As others have said, GCSEs are only one aspect but I felt incredibly intimidated applying when I saw those with 99999999 as my competition, so I do understand! Focus on getting a really good score in the entry test (think it might be TSA for history?) and you have nothing to worry about :smile:

Do also remember that your GCSEs are contextualised in the context of the school you went to.
@_kestrel_ did you go to private school?
Reply 7
Original post by _Kestrel_
I got in this year for law with 99988766 and with the same predicted grades as you, just in different subjects. As others have said, GCSEs are only one aspect but I felt incredibly intimidated applying when I saw those with 99999999 as my competition, so I do understand! Focus on getting a really good score in the entry test (think it might be TSA for history?) and you have nothing to worry about :smile:

Do also remember that your GCSEs are contextualised in the context of the school you went to.

Congratulations on your A level results confirming your place at Oxford.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending