The Student Room Group

don’t have all A*s at gcse, oxford law is my dream uni

so i’ve been predicted 10 A*s but ive gotten my art raw mark back and it’s a very high A (in my opinion) although it could somehow scrape an A*. in the high likelihood of having to take an A ive been feeling very pessimistic about my oxford chances now since i won’t have all A*s anymore and it’s just a very disappointing result because a lot of the people around me are getting all A*s at GCSE

don’t know if ive messed up my chances now

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by hanstudies
so i’ve been predicted 10 A*s but ive gotten my art raw mark back and it’s a very high A (in my opinion) although it could somehow scrape an A*. in the high likelihood of having to take an A ive been feeling very pessimistic about my oxford chances now since i won’t have all A*s anymore and it’s just a very disappointing result because a lot of the people around me are getting all A*s at GCSE

i feel so stupid for taking art i should’ve taken a sure a* but i’ve made my choices i guess. i just thought i’d be able to get there
Reply 2
It won't matter much. Just focus on achieve 3A* grades at A-Level. Or you should consider Cambridge University. :wink:
Reply 3
you only got an A in one of your GCSEs??? :eek: mate, your life if over...

Spoiler

Reply 4
Original post by thegeek888
It won't matter much. Just focus on achieve 3A* grades at A-Level. Or you should consider Cambridge University. :wink:

i realised i’m actually taking 11 GCSE’s so i’ll end up with 10A*s 1A if everything goes well and i’m taking 4 A levels and an EPQ so yeah :redface:
idk why i still feel having less than 100% A* at GCSE will make oxford be like nope bad student, pick someone over him
Reply 5
i realised i’m actually taking 11 GCSE’s so i’ll end up with 10A*s 1A if everything goes well and i’m taking 4 A levels and an EPQ so yeah :redface:
idk why i still feel having less than 100% A* at GCSE will make oxford be like nope bad student, pick someone over him

absolutely doesn’t matter if you don’t get all A*s - if you want an example i got an A in art and even a D in a Level 3 free standing maths qualification I rather foolishly took alongside my GCSEs and I’m at Oxford now.
Also re your 4 A levels + EPQ - note that you don’t actually need to do that much to get an Oxford offer. I did 4 and an EPQ and the workload was ridiculous, I got here and found that most people I met just had 3 A levels because that’s all they really look for. Admissions don’t just look at A levels and GCSEs but also admissions tests, submitted written work, interviews and personal statements. If your A level workload is too high it’s hard to prepare all that as well. Not saying don’t do 4 + EPQ (I did do that after all and there were definitely some benefits) if you’re set on it regardless of Oxford and find it manageable, but don’t be afraid about hurting your chances if you decide to drop something (note it also depends on what the 4th A level is - e.g. if you’re doing maths and further maths is your 4th that’s a separate case, but 4 unrelated subjects (i did maths, bio, chem and french) can be A Lot). Apologies for rambling on about that when it’s not really what you asked but I feel like it’s important to know that Oxford don’t secretly require you to do all that!
Reply 6
This sounds ridiculous no offense.
I got an Oxford interview for Biochemistry without straight 9s and without straight A* A-Level predictions (and even with Music as my third instead of Maths). I completely messed the interview up and got rejected lol but that's not the point. Unis care more about just what grades you have. Personal statement, your letters of recommendation, and your interview play big parts in the selection process as well. So take a breather and do some meditation or something. Your chances of getting into Oxford aren't ruined just because you don't get straight A*s at GCSEs. A-Levels matter more anyway. So for now, just focus on actually revising for your GCSEs and doing as best as you can in your upcoming exams. Good luck!!
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous

no yeah i get that i was just stressed cuz the school im at a lot of people are gonna get all A*s and i was like oh no have i removed myself from the competition
Reply 9
Original post by kaorimiyazono
I got an Oxford interview for Biochemistry without straight 9s and without straight A* A-Level predictions (and even with Music as my third instead of Maths). I completely messed the interview up and got rejected lol but that's not the point. Unis care more about just what grades you have. Personal statement, your letters of recommendation, and your interview play big parts in the selection process as well. So take a breather and do some meditation or something. Your chances of getting into Oxford aren't ruined just because you don't get straight A*s at GCSEs. A-Levels matter more anyway. So for now, just focus on actually revising for your GCSEs and doing as best as you can in your upcoming exams. Good luck!!

thank you looking to the future now yeah
Reply 10
Original post by eeeli
absolutely doesn’t matter if you don’t get all A*s - if you want an example i got an A in art and even a D in a Level 3 free standing maths qualification I rather foolishly took alongside my GCSEs and I’m at Oxford now.
Also re your 4 A levels + EPQ - note that you don’t actually need to do that much to get an Oxford offer. I did 4 and an EPQ and the workload was ridiculous, I got here and found that most people I met just had 3 A levels because that’s all they really look for. Admissions don’t just look at A levels and GCSEs but also admissions tests, submitted written work, interviews and personal statements. If your A level workload is too high it’s hard to prepare all that as well. Not saying don’t do 4 + EPQ (I did do that after all and there were definitely some benefits) if you’re set on it regardless of Oxford and find it manageable, but don’t be afraid about hurting your chances if you decide to drop something (note it also depends on what the 4th A level is - e.g. if you’re doing maths and further maths is your 4th that’s a separate case, but 4 unrelated subjects (i did maths, bio, chem and french) can be A Lot). Apologies for rambling on about that when it’s not really what you asked but I feel like it’s important to know that Oxford don’t secretly require you to do all that!

thank you for the reassurance and the 4 a levels im taking are English lit, History, French, Economics

yeahhhhh

One A at GCSE isn’t likely to kill your chances. You would only really need to worry if you had consistently lower results across the board beforehand.

I got into Oxford (albeit for chemistry) this year, having achieved 2A* grades and an A in my A levels and 9988887766 in my GCSE’s (equivalent to 6A*, 2A and 2B iirc).

As long as your A levels, interviews and entrance exams are good and you do things that will strengthen your application and ability to think out loud, i.e join a debating society, your chances are still reasonably good.

Edit: Also forgot to add, of all subjects you could have not got an A* in, art is probably one of the least concerning, given how it isn’t especially important to law.
(edited 11 months ago)
A friend of mine got into Oxford for French and German with a B in maths. If you are applying for law, one solitary A isn’t going to kill your application especially if it is in an irrelevant subject :wink:
Original post by Anonymous

Lmaooooo, it’s the stereotypical TSR post that is parodied on and off this site, “omg I have 54 A*s at GCSE and 128 A*s at A level, won the Nobel Peace Prize, am an under-18 CEO and on track to publish my 200th peer-reviewed journal in Nature next month. Am I still good enough for Oxford?????”
Reply 14
thank you for the reassurance and the 4 a levels im taking are English lit, History, French, Economics

yeahhhhh

Don't take 4 A levels and an EPQ - it's too much.

Which country still uses letter grades?
Reply 15
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
Lmaooooo, it’s the stereotypical TSR post that is parodied on and off this site, “omg I have 54 A*s at GCSE and 128 A*s at A level, won the Nobel Peace Prize, am an under-18 CEO and on track to publish my 200th peer-reviewed journal in Nature next month. Am I still good enough for Oxford?????”

That's literally what I was thinking of. This post sounds like the parodies people make about TSR.
Reply 16
Original post by Sorcerer of Old

i totally see that lmao i made this post in the most awful headspace
Reply 17
Original post by Muttley79
Don't take 4 A levels and an EPQ - it's too much.

Which country still uses letter grades?

wales and i dont know anyone in my year who's not taking at least 4 a levels lol
idk the people around me are so high achieving and very likely getting an a in one of my gcses has made me feel like i've fallen behind suddenly
Reply 18
Original post by TypicalNerd
One A at GCSE isn’t likely to kill your chances. You would only really need to worry if you had consistently lower results across the board beforehand.

I got into Oxford (albeit for chemistry) this year, having achieved 2A* grades and an A in my A levels and 9988887766 in my GCSE’s (equivalent to 6A*, 2A and 2B iirc).

As long as your A levels, interviews and entrance exams are good and you do things that will strengthen your application and ability to think out loud, i.e join a debating society, your chances are still reasonably good.

Edit: Also forgot to add, of all subjects you could have not got an A* in, art is probably one of the least concerning, given how it isn’t especially important to law.

yeah my friends were comforting me saying like its literally art gcse its not the end of the world, you want to apply for law it's not that important. ig im js more of a perfectionist than i thought because i didnt expect to not get my predicted grades. but then again thats just life ig i didn't necessarily do anything wrong, its just up to the exam board when u risk taking a subjective subject like art n i do regret that but theres no point at the end of the day
Reply 19
You are putting far too much pressure on yourself.
When I was in A-levels a couple years ago I knew two friends who applied to Oxford. The one with straight A* s in GCSEs was refused and the one with A’s and B’s in GCSEs was accepted.
GCSEs are not the be all and end all, A-levels matter more when universities make their decisions.

In addition to grades Oxford is competitive so it considers any extracurricular work, how you portray yourself as a person and how you perform in the interviews.

(Plus its Art, you want to apply for law, they won’t care)
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending