The Student Room Group

Descriptive writing

I need some help in writing a story that has 250 words abt the beach that has the 5 senses in it
Hi! Maybe begin with planning out with each sense. Try making a list for example:
Smell= salty sea water
Hearing= the waves coming in
Touch= the sand on your feet
And then maybe go from there?
Reply 2
I dont understand first. please mention again
but in other sense, you need go at Fiverr to find a better one.
Reply 3
Original post by user987092
Hi! Maybe begin with planning out with each sense. Try making a list for example:
Smell= salty sea water
Hearing= the waves coming in
Touch= the sand on your feet
And then maybe go from there?

Original post by CokeKola
I need some help in writing a story that has 250 words abt the beach that has the 5 senses in it

Here are some tips for you:

>It is best to write in the first or second person in a descriptive piece of writing.

>Write in the simple present tense.

>Use A LOT of ADJECTIVES to describe the beach and everything around it. Adjectives are basically what identify descriptive prose.

>You don't necessarily need to have a "beginning" and an "ending" to the story. You can just start it in a particular scene and focus on that scene like you are looking at it through a microscope. Scrutinize it by its smell, look, texture of the things around it, taste of something you are eating from there, sounds that are head etc.

>You have to image that you are present in the beach story you are writing and living in that moment. This will make easier for your ideas to flow when you are writing.

>Don't have too many characters in the story. You can actually be the only character.

> Make the plot simple. This can help you not go beyond the 250 word limit.

I hope this helps.
Reply 4
Original post by Ella.xE
Here are some tips for you:

>It is best to write in the first or second person in a descriptive piece of writing.

>Write in the simple present tense.

>Use A LOT of ADJECTIVES to describe the beach and everything around it. Adjectives are basically what identify descriptive prose.

>You don't necessarily need to have a "beginning" and an "ending" to the story. You can just start it in a particular scene and focus on that scene like you are looking at it through a microscope. Scrutinize it by its smell, look, texture of the things around it, taste of something you are eating from there, sounds that are head etc.

>You have to image that you are present in the beach story you are writing and living in that moment. This will make easier for your ideas to flow when you are writing.

>Don't have too many characters in the story. You can actually be the only character.

> Make the plot simple. This can help you not go beyond the 250 word limit.

I hope this helps.

It’ll mean a lot if you could help add to this I need 60 more words

The beach loomed ahead, an enormous expanse of still, dark blue water. There was no telling what horrors lay within its depths. The overhanging trees were gnarled and bowed forming eerie silhouettes in the approaching dusk. Not a breeze blew, not a bird chirped; no sound; no movement just deathly silence and stillness and the pungent smell of decaying bush. Involuntarily, I felt myself shiver. I pulled my coat closely around me as I looked warily around. Suddenly, there was a loud rumble of thunder and a blast of wind bringing with it stinging raindrops which pelted against my skin. There was nowhere to shelter and no sign of the rest of the group.
Original post by CokeKola
It’ll mean a lot if you could help add to this I need 60 more words

The beach loomed ahead, an enormous expanse of still, dark blue water. There was no telling what horrors lay within its depths. The overhanging trees were gnarled and bowed forming eerie silhouettes in the approaching dusk. Not a breeze blew, not a bird chirped; no sound; no movement just deathly silence and stillness and the pungent smell of decaying bush. Involuntarily, I felt myself shiver. I pulled my coat closely around me as I looked warily around. Suddenly, there was a loud rumble of thunder and a blast of wind bringing with it stinging raindrops which pelted against my skin. There was nowhere to shelter and no sign of the rest of the group.

I know this forum is a year old but this is awesome, a cool new perspective on a beach, not just the cliche sunshine and fun :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending