BrightBlueStar11
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
can I ask 2 questions:

1) is starch grain same as the starch granule
2) does starch grain contain starch?

thanks
macpatgh-Sheldon
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Yes absolutely, "celestial body", []

Starch is the main storage compound in plants [at least for carbohydrate [glycogen in animals in the liver and in muscle]], and can be stored in the stem as in a potato or in the leaves of certain plants - interestingly, onions store mostly glucose and the portion we eat is a kind of stem called a corm, WHEREAS maize [staple diet in Kenya [white "grains"][called corn in UK [yellow]]] stores some starch in the fruit [biologically a maize grain that we eat i.e. the trapezium-shaped 1/2 cm wide part, is a fruit - and you can extract a pointed oval seed from it. Of course a number of seeds also store starch to allow nutrition [[part of it] - [e.g. there is protein in the aleurone layer of the maize grain, too]] for the newly-geminated seedling.

[General info so far]

For your Q:
1. You can use grain and granule interchangeably - remind yourself the test for starch???? Yes well done!, it turns iodine blue - if you look at a relevant cell from a plant under the microscope [see link below], you can see these.
2. Yes the word "starch" is is oc used as an adjective in this context, tho mostly commonly used as a noun. {it contains almost entirely starch].

https://www.britannica.com/science/starch

Be safe!
M
BrightBlueStar11
Rep:
(Original post by macpatgh-Sheldon)

Starch is the main storage compound in plants [at least for carbohydrate [glycogen in animals in the liver and in muscle]], and can be stored in the stem as in a potato or in the leaves of certain plants - interestingly, onions store mostly glucose and the portion we eat is a kind of stem called a corm, WHEREAS maize [staple diet in Kenya [white "grains"][called corn in UK [yellow]]] stores some starch in the fruit [biologically a maize grain that we eat i.e. the trapezium-shaped 1/2 cm wide part, is a fruit - and you can extract a pointed oval seed from it. Of course a number of seeds also store starch to allow nutrition [[part of it] - [e.g. there is protein in the aleurone layer of the maize grain, too]] for the newly-geminated seedling.

[General info so far]

For your Q:
1. You can use grain and granule interchangeably - remind yourself the test for starch???? Yes well done!, it turns iodine blue - if you look at a relevant cell from a plant under the microscope [see link below], you can see these.
2. Yes the word "starch" is is oc used as an adjective in this context, tho mostly commonly used as a noun. {it contains almost entirely starch].

Be safe!
M
thanks!

from "celestial body" of space
BrightBlueStar11
Rep:

[General info so far]

For your Q:

Be safe!
M
hello,

can I also ask if starch is made up of amylose or amylopectin

Or, are amylose and amylopectin just types of starch?

thanks
macpatgh-Sheldon
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi there again young man - oc no probs:-

Go through the at-d slide from one of my own P-P presentations.

Amylose + amylopectin are both ingredients of starch - they are NOT types of starch in themselves, but starch contains vaying proportions of both depending on plant species and location of starch. The rest is on my slide [I give you h-w permission to use, copy, share the slide if it helps you].

M
Attached files
BrightBlueStar11
Rep:
Hi there again young man - oc no probs:-

Go through the at-d slide from one of my own P-P presentations.

Amylose + amylopectin are both ingredients of starch - they are NOT types of starch in themselves, but starch contains vaying proportions of both depending on plant species and location of starch. The rest is on my slide [I give you h-w permission to use, copy, share the slide if it helps you].

M
honestly thank you so much :^_^:
macpatgh-Sheldon
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by BrightBlueStar11)
honestly thank you so much :^_^:
My pleasure - take care!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (13)
26%
As I expected (14)
28%
Harder (20)
40%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
6%

Watched Threads