The Student Room Group

Starch grain

can I ask 2 questions:

1) is starch grain same as the starch granule
2) does starch grain contain starch?

thanks
Yes absolutely, "celestial body", [:colondollar:]

Starch is the main storage compound in plants [at least for carbohydrate [glycogen in animals in the liver and in muscle]], and can be stored in the stem as in a potato or in the leaves of certain plants - interestingly, onions store mostly glucose and the portion we eat is a kind of stem called a corm, WHEREAS maize [staple diet in Kenya [white "grains"][called corn in UK [yellow]]] stores some starch in the fruit [biologically a maize grain that we eat i.e. the trapezium-shaped 1/2 cm wide part, is a fruit - and you can extract a pointed oval seed from it. Of course a number of seeds also store starch to allow nutrition [[part of it] - [e.g. there is protein in the aleurone layer of the maize grain, too]] for the newly-geminated seedling.

[General info so far]

For your Q:
1. You can use grain and granule interchangeably - remind yourself the test for starch???? Yes well done!, it turns iodine blue - if you look at a relevant cell from a plant under the microscope [see link below], you can see these.
2. Yes the word "starch" is is oc used as an adjective in this context, tho mostly commonly used as a noun. {it contains almost entirely starch].

https://www.britannica.com/science/starch

Be safe!
M
Original post by macpatgh-Sheldon

Starch is the main storage compound in plants [at least for carbohydrate [glycogen in animals in the liver and in muscle]], and can be stored in the stem as in a potato or in the leaves of certain plants - interestingly, onions store mostly glucose and the portion we eat is a kind of stem called a corm, WHEREAS maize [staple diet in Kenya [white "grains"][called corn in UK [yellow]]] stores some starch in the fruit [biologically a maize grain that we eat i.e. the trapezium-shaped 1/2 cm wide part, is a fruit - and you can extract a pointed oval seed from it. Of course a number of seeds also store starch to allow nutrition [[part of it] - [e.g. there is protein in the aleurone layer of the maize grain, too]] for the newly-geminated seedling.

[General info so far]

For your Q:
1. You can use grain and granule interchangeably - remind yourself the test for starch???? Yes well done!, it turns iodine blue - if you look at a relevant cell from a plant under the microscope [see link below], you can see these.
2. Yes the word "starch" is is oc used as an adjective in this context, tho mostly commonly used as a noun. {it contains almost entirely starch].

Be safe!
M

thanks! :smile:

from "celestial body" of space

[General info so far]

For your Q:

Be safe!
M

hello,

can I also ask if starch is made up of amylose or amylopectin

Or, are amylose and amylopectin just types of starch?

Hi there again young man - oc no probs:-

Go through the at-d slide from one of my own P-P presentations.

Amylose + amylopectin are both ingredients of starch - they are NOT types of starch in themselves, but starch contains vaying proportions of both depending on plant species and location of starch. The rest is on my slide [I give you h-w permission to use, copy, share the slide if it helps you].

M
Hi there again young man - oc no probs:-

Go through the at-d slide from one of my own P-P presentations.

Amylose + amylopectin are both ingredients of starch - they are NOT types of starch in themselves, but starch contains vaying proportions of both depending on plant species and location of starch. The rest is on my slide [I give you h-w permission to use, copy, share the slide if it helps you].

M

honestly thank you so much :^_^:
Original post by BrightBlueStar11
honestly thank you so much :^_^:

My pleasure - take care!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending