The Student Room Group

Do I need to know how to draw structures for carbohydrates? (AQA A Level Bio)

I know I need to know how to draw alpha and beta glucose but what about the other monosaccharides? How about the disaccharides and polysaccharides, do I need to know how to draw them? And what about the condensation reactions?

Thanks c:
Original post by imloki
I know I need to know how to draw alpha and beta glucose but what about the other monosaccharides? How about the disaccharides and polysaccharides, do I need to know how to draw them? And what about the condensation reactions?

Thanks c:

For the monomers and polymers topic you only need to know this, which was taken from the specification:
The biochemical basis of life is similar for all living things
Monomers are the smaller units from which larger molecules are made
Polymers are molecules made from a large number of monomers joined together
Monosaccharides, amino acids and nucleotides are examples of monomers
A condensation reaction joins two molecules together with the formation of a chemical bond and involves the elimination of a molecule of water
A hydrolysis reaction breaks a chemical bond between two molecules and involves the use of a water molecule
Monosaccharides are the monomers from which larger carbohydrates are made. Glucose, galactose and fructose are common monosaccharides
A condensation reaction between two monosaccharides forms a glycosidic bond.
Disaccharides are formed by the condensation of two monosaccharides
maltose is a disaccharide formed by condensation of two glucose molecules
sucrose is a disaccharide formed by condensation of a glucose molecule and a fructose molecule
lactose is a disaccharide formed by condensation of a glucose molecule and a galactose molecule.
Glucose has two isomers, α-glucose and β-glucose, with structures
Polysaccharides are formed by the condensation of many glucose units
glycogen and starch are formed by the condensation of α-glucose
cellulose is formed by the condensation of β-glucose
The basic structure and functions of glycogen, starch and cellulose. The relationship of structure to function of these substances in animal cells and plant cells
Biochemical tests using Benedict's solution for reducing sugars and non-reducing sugars and iodine/potassium iodide for starch

so i assume that you wouldn’t need to know the structure for anything else except alpha and beta as its not mentioned anywhere else and I haven’t seen any past paper where you are asked to draw the structure for any others.

https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/biology-revision/a-level-aqa/biological-molecules/monomers-polymers-and-carbohydrates-flashcards/
These are really nicely condensed flashcards and follows the spec so take a look at that to avoid confusion.
Hope that answers your question.
Reply 2
Original post by AspiringSurvivor
For the monomers and polymers topic you only need to know this, which was taken from the specification:
The biochemical basis of life is similar for all living things
Monomers are the smaller units from which larger molecules are made
Polymers are molecules made from a large number of monomers joined together
Monosaccharides, amino acids and nucleotides are examples of monomers
A condensation reaction joins two molecules together with the formation of a chemical bond and involves the elimination of a molecule of water
A hydrolysis reaction breaks a chemical bond between two molecules and involves the use of a water molecule
Monosaccharides are the monomers from which larger carbohydrates are made. Glucose, galactose and fructose are common monosaccharides
A condensation reaction between two monosaccharides forms a glycosidic bond.
Disaccharides are formed by the condensation of two monosaccharides
maltose is a disaccharide formed by condensation of two glucose molecules
sucrose is a disaccharide formed by condensation of a glucose molecule and a fructose molecule
lactose is a disaccharide formed by condensation of a glucose molecule and a galactose molecule.
Glucose has two isomers, α-glucose and β-glucose, with structures
Polysaccharides are formed by the condensation of many glucose units
glycogen and starch are formed by the condensation of α-glucose
cellulose is formed by the condensation of β-glucose
The basic structure and functions of glycogen, starch and cellulose. The relationship of structure to function of these substances in animal cells and plant cells
Biochemical tests using Benedict's solution for reducing sugars and non-reducing sugars and iodine/potassium iodide for starch

so i assume that you wouldn’t need to know the structure for anything else except alpha and beta as its not mentioned anywhere else and I haven’t seen any past paper where you are asked to draw the structure for any others.

https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/biology-revision/a-level-aqa/biological-molecules/monomers-polymers-and-carbohydrates-flashcards/
These are really nicely condensed flashcards and follows the spec so take a look at that to avoid confusion.
Hope that answers your question.

Thank you so much for helping me check. Thanks for the flashcards too!

Quick Reply

Latest