The Student Room Group

Small approximation- hence approx given value

So, I believe I am correct in my approach for part b. Specifically for 3tantheta. I believe it’s simply 3theta and this is how I found the answer to be correct.

Part b is a little confusing though.

I just presumed replacing the value of theta and finding the answer 0.34 was correct but I see that’s not the solution.

I also considered 1+0.4-(0.4)² and same with value for tan. Also, incorrect.

The examples offered don’t offer a way to do this. Logically, as it says hence, I assume the previous answer should help but I’m not seeing it clearly.

5ADE4381-B3C2-475D-B886-36015894CFA4.jpeg
EFD86C30-F988-4825-83D7-BD4E8F3D8787.jpeg

Edit: I also approached it from expanding the function to find this

1EC85F19-045A-4C84-8713-757555A0666E.jpeg
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by KingRich
So, I believe I am correct in my approach for part b. Specifically for 3tantheta. I believe it’s simply 3theta and this is how I found the answer to be correct.

Part b is a little confusing though.

I just presumed replacing the value of theta and finding the answer 0.34 was correct but I see that’s not the solution.

I also considered 1+0.4-(0.4)² and same with value for tan. Also, incorrect.

The examples offered don’t offer a way to do this. Logically, as it says hence, I assume the previous answer should help but I’m not seeing it clearly.

5ADE4381-B3C2-475D-B886-36015894CFA4.jpeg
EFD86C30-F988-4825-83D7-BD4E8F3D8787.jpeg

Edit: I also approached it from expanding the function to find this

1EC85F19-045A-4C84-8713-757555A0666E.jpeg

Look at part a. You have sin 2 theta and tan theta. Look at part b. The sin value is double the tan value. If you notice that pattern, you should figure out that theta = 0.2, and substitute it in for your answer in part a.

Also please note that - sin(0.4) * 3 tan(0.2) = -3 sin(0.4) tan(0.2)
(edited 1 year ago)
Youre overcomplicating it. I agree with the series in a). Simply matching terms in part b) what should theta be? Both/either the sin() and tan() terms give it to you.

Edit when you did 0.4, its the ~right idea but not correct.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 3
Original post by mqb2766
Youre overcomplicating it. I agree with the series in a). Simply matching terms in part b) what should theta be? Both/either the sin() and tan() terms give it to you.

Edit when you did 0.4, its the ~right idea but not correct.

I also expanded my last term incorrectly I tried on the function given.

I should have
1+3 tan 0.2-sin 0.4-3 sin 0.4 tan 0.2.

which finds the answer 0.98 if doing it this way.

I also forgot to include the 6 when subbing in 0.4 lol! But as you pointed out is wrong lol
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Daniil.M
Look at part a. You have sin 2 theta and tan theta. Look at part b. The sin value is double the tan value. If you notice that pattern, you should figure out that theta = 0.2, and substitute it in for your answer in part a.

Also please note that - sin(0.4) * 3 tan(0.2) = -3 sin(0.4) tan(0.2)

I noticed that whilst replying back lol but silly to have combined them
I also expanded my last term incorrectly I tried on the function given.

I should have
1+3 tan 0.2-sin 0.4-3 sin 0.4 tan 0.2.

which finds the correct answer 0.98 if doing it this way.

I also forgot to include the 6 when subbing in 0.4 lol! But as you pointed out is wrong lol

Youve derived a series expansion in a). Simply sub theta=0.2 into it.
Dont bother multiplying out brackets etc, this has been done when you derived the series expansion.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 6
Original post by mqb2766
Youve derived a series expansion in a). Simply sub theta=0.2 into it.

I am trying to conclude why theta =0.2? I’m sure it’s obvious but potentially something from previous material that I’ve forgotten.
(edited 1 year ago)
I am trying to conclude why theta =0.2? I’m sure it’s obvious but potentially something from previous material that I’ve forgotten.

Look at the expressions in parts a) and b). What value of theta are they equal?

Look at part a. You have sin 2 theta and tan theta. Look at part b, you have sin sin 0.4, tan 0.2

Therefore, 2 theta = 0.4 or even simpler, theta = 0.2.
Reply 9
Original post by mqb2766
Look at the expressions in parts a) and b). What value of theta are they equal?

I think I figured it out. In part a) it states sin 2 theta, where as in part b) the value is sin 0.4 hence,

2 theta=0.4
tells me theta=0.2.
I think I figured it out. In part a) it states sin 2 theta, where as in part b) the value is sin 0.4 hence,

2 theta=0.4
tells me theta=0.2.

Yes. And/or
tan(theta) = tan(0.2)
So ...
Reply 11
Original post by mqb2766
Yes. And/or
tan(theta) = tan(0.2)
So ...

That’s visibly clear but I can’t assume they have them both in common, can I?

This unit is new to me, so I’m not 100 clear on how it works.

Mmm, I think Is it due to their identity approximates being the same and that their graphs are similar in y=x and that meaning they must share the same theta value, other wise it doesn’t work.
That’s visibly clear but I can’t assume they have them both in common, can I?

This unit is new to me, so I’m not 100 clear on how it works.

Mmm, I think Is it due to their identity approximates being the same and that their graphs are similar in y=x and that meaning they must share the same theta value, other wise it doesn’t work.

In theory, they obviously could be differerent, but as its a "hence" question part, you'd fully expect that the first expression is valid for a particular value of theta. Therefore you'd expect that the theta and 2theta values match to 0.2 and 0.4 and they obviously do.
Reply 13
Original post by mqb2766
In theory, they obviously could be differerent, but as its a "hence" question part, you'd fully expect that the first expression is valid for a particular value of theta. Therefore you'd expect that the theta and 2theta values match to 0.2 and 0.4 and they obviously do.

Oh, okay. Something else I have to train my self to look out for :colonhash:

Thank you
Oh, okay. Something else I have to train my self to look out for :colonhash:

Thank you

Its a fairly common question part, its just another way of asking to evaluate the series with theta=0.2 and checking you realize that theta=0.2 is small. Having said that, sin(0.4) is getting close to the boundary of what might be considered small.

Quick Reply

Latest