The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I think people should be more informed about it so that they gamble responsibly and know how small their chances are.
Reply 21
Banning gambling? Its such a human thing though, at least here in the capitalist west... People bet and gamble for different reasons, I for one play poker with friends, we have a twelve or 16 man multi table tournament and its fun. It's a good night and probably spend the same or less than going clubbing, we do like £10 buy in and allow rebuy's till a certain hour etc. That is not a dangerous addiction although I admit for some it could lead to one. I on the other hand don't want to have my freedoms impeded because some don't know when is enough or because they don't know how to respect their community! I feel that many of those that go down a spiral losing their lives through gambling would probably lose it if introduced to many other things like hard core drugs. Let's be honest being introduced to class A drugs is very very easy even though they are illegal, so gambling will never leave us either. The structure of society in England will not allow for these activities to be removed so why dream about it... I enjoy the choices I have and just to say one thing further, if I wanted to be gay here I could but in America certain groups want it 'banned' (criminalised come on!), my question to you is, is this ok? They believe being gay leads you down a spiral to eternal damnation which has at least a parallel as an argument to yours. Let's just clean up the industry and help those who need it, for the foreseeable future no matter how people will find a way to gamble.

Sorry for the rant :smile:
ban gambling! ban it! ban everything! yeeeaaaaahhhh! YEAAAAAHHHAHAHAHA!
Reply 23
Fun should be banned.

Too many people die enjoying themselves, BAN FUN.
Reply 24
dewinte
Banning gambling? Its such a human thing though, at least here in the capitalist west... People bet and gamble for different reasons, I for one play poker with friends, we have a twelve or 16 man multi table tournament and its fun. It's a good night and probably spend the same or less than going clubbing, we do like £10 buy in and allow rebuy's till a certain hour etc. That is not a dangerous addiction although I admit for some it could lead to one. I on the other hand don't want to have my freedoms impeded because some don't know when is enough or because they don't know how to respect their community! I feel that many of those that go down a spiral losing their lives through gambling would probably lose it if introduced to many other things like hard core drugs. Let's be honest being introduced to class A drugs is very very easy even though they are illegal, so gambling will never leave us either. The structure of society in England will not allow for these activities to be removed so why dream about it... I enjoy the choices I have and just to say one thing further, if I wanted to be gay here I could but in America certain groups want it 'banned' (criminalised come on!), my question to you is, is this ok? They believe being gay leads you down a spiral to eternal damnation which has at least a parallel as an argument to yours. Let's just clean up the industry and help those who need it, for the foreseeable future no matter how people will find a way to gamble.

Sorry for the rant :smile:

This imo
Reply 25
Democracy
So gambling addicts who bet away their salaries whilst their spouse and children live a sub standard life don't harm anoyone?

There is already a legal duty to support your children, and indeed spouse.
Poker isn't gambling if you know what you're doing.

All banning would do is ruin the fun of people who can gamble sensibly and for fun, while the true addicts would just carry on with underground gambling.
Reply 27
Let's ban banning things.
rich2606
Why does everybody seem to hate freedom today? Ban this, ban that, blah blah.

If people want to gamble, thats their own choice, no one is forcing them to do it. if they suck at it and lose lots of money, thats their own fault. All the state should do is make sure the gambling companies aren't tricking or deceiving their customers.

^^ This! Have some rep.

I love poker, and it would be a breach of my freedoms to stop me playing it. What's the worst that could happen? I could lose some of my own personal money, I don't see why that affects you so strongly.
tis_me_lord
^^ This! Have some rep.

I love poker, and it would be a breach of my freedoms to stop me playing it. What's the worst that could happen? I could lose some of my own personal money, I don't see why that affects you so strongly.

:ditto:, it's encouragement to gamble responsibly that we need, not a blanket ban.
tis_me_lord
^^ This! Have some rep.

I don't agree with the OP but the point he is making is that gambling affects the family.

Instead of banning it, we should tax these sorts of industries heavily so that the money can be invested in treatment programmes and also for educating people about the effects and problems that can occur in gambling.

Also, the heavy taxation will discourage the industries.
Willis123
Hundreds and thousandsd of lives are destroyed by the gambling industry and I belive that such a base and immoral industry should be banned.

No.
Yeah lets also ban cars, I mean how many people's lives are destroyed because of them?
There has been a plethora of new betting shops that have sprung up all over the place - esp since the reform of taxation on gambling that taxes the profits of betting firms rather than the old betting duty that gamblers had to pay either on their stakes or winnings. I'm wondering whether the tax on gambling firms has been set too low.
Reply 34
They need to be more responsible, not banned. I signed up to a roulette site and they kept ringing me asking me to gamble, offering me free money, and generally hassling me. I dread to think what would happen if I was addicted.
of all the persons who gamble, how many are addicts? i'd imagine most persons gamble responsibly and know their limits. Of people who drink alcohol regularly, only a few are addicts. One part of being an addict is have the propensity to be so. I don't see why the many should be penalised for the few who have an addictive personality.

the war on drugs shows that outlawing a commodity doesn't dampen down people's willingness and ability to buy it. Supply and demand are strong forces, and suppliers would face immense risks to supply a good, if they were assured a demand for the good existed.
Willis123
Hundreds and thousandsd of lives are destroyed by the gambling industry and I belive that such a base and immoral industry should be banned.

Hundreds and thousands of lives are destroyed by the automobile industry and I believe that such a base and immoral industry should be banned.

Same argument...
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the gambling industry.

Gambling is a bit of fun.

Willis123
What about when a persons free choice impede on the lifes of others? your not allowed to smoke in public places, why should others get lung cancer for your choices? Ban gambling not because it harms you but becasue it harms those around you.

Smoking harms others directly and physically. It is the smoking that causes the harm.
'Gambling' doesn't harm anybody. What harms is when people spend their money irresponsibly - money they need elsewhere. But it is not legitimate for the state to interfere here. If people want to spend their money irresponsibly, thats up to them. It is very much a case of people harming people, not gambling harming people.

I don't understand what people mean when they say thing's like "clean up the industry. Everyone knows that the chance of winning is low and that gambling enterprises are there to make a profit. Saying that people need to be made more 'aware' is treating them like toddlers.
Elipsis
They need to be more responsible, not banned. I signed up to a roulette site and they kept ringing me asking me to gamble, offering me free money, and generally hassling me. I dread to think what would happen if I was addicted.

Simple solution? Don't visit that website!!!!!!!
Reply 38
Anony mouse
Instead of banning it, we should tax these sorts of industries heavily so that the money can be invested in treatment programmes and also for educating people about the effects and problems that can occur in gambling.

Also, the heavy taxation will discourage the industries.

Oh dear. :no:
making it illegal won't make it go away.

Latest

Trending

Trending