The Student Room Group

Should I do further maths for A-levels?

I'm in year 11 right now and thinking about whether I should do further maths in sixth-form because I've heard that it is a great addition for a course in Computer Science at university, but I am working at a grade 8, and there are recommendations saying you should be working at a 9.

I have currently applied to do Maths, Physics and Computer Science for my A-Levels. So should I do Further Maths for A-levels?
What universities would you be interested in? For computer science, further maths is borderline essential for imperial, cambridge and oxford (though none explicitly require it). However, for computer science at other universities, further maths is not required or recommended (that's not to say that it's discouraged by those other universities :smile:)
Reply 2
Original post by LegendaryAayush
I'm in year 11 right now and thinking about whether I should do further maths in sixth-form because I've heard that it is a great addition for a course in Computer Science at university, but I am working at a grade 8, and there are recommendations saying you should be working at a 9.

I have currently applied to do Maths, Physics and Computer Science for my A-Levels. So should I do Further Maths for A-levels?

The most successful applicants for Computer Science at Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial, UCL, Bristol, Durham, Warwick, Nottingham, Manchester, Leeds and a few others often have Further Maths and is advantageous in your UCAS application. :smile:

You can study Pure and Mechanics, Pure and Statistics, Decision and Statistics and Mechanics and Decision, if you do Pearson Edexcel. :wink:

As above, consider which unis you are interested in.

You should also ask yourself whether you enjoy maths enough to take up further maths - after all, it is a heck of a lot of work and there’s no point bogging down your application by taking FM, hating it and doing badly in it.
Original post by Labradoodle1
What universities would you be interested in? For computer science, further maths is borderline essential for imperial, cambridge and oxford (though none explicitly require it). However, for computer science at other universities, further maths is not required or recommended (that's not to say that it's discouraged by those other universities :smile:)

I'm looking to get into UCL
Original post by TypicalNerd
As above, consider which unis you are interested in.

You should also ask yourself whether you enjoy maths enough to take up further maths - after all, it is a heck of a lot of work and there’s no point bogging down your application by taking FM, hating it and doing badly in it.

Could I drop it if it isn't for me?
Could I drop it if it isn't for me?

You could, but is it worth the time investment in the first place if you don’t think it’s likely you’ll enjoy it?
Original post by thegeek888
The most successful applicants for Computer Science at Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial, UCL, Bristol, Durham, Warwick, Nottingham, Manchester, Leeds and a few others often have Further Maths and is advantageous in your UCAS application. :smile:

You can study Pure and Mechanics, Pure and Statistics, Decision and Statistics and Mechanics and Decision, if you do Pearson Edexcel. :wink:

I'd argue that most of the universities on that list aren't really bothered about further maths except the first 3. Further maths would definitely not disadvantage you at those other universities but I don't think they would care if you had it or not.
I'm looking to get into UCL

Then further maths is not essential. Only take it if you want to take it. By the way, UCL CS is known for having low offer rates and very little applicants can do to distinguish themselves, so it's a bit of a gamble to get in

Quick Reply

Latest