The Student Room Group

Could I pull my way into Oxford with A GCSEs and flawless A* A-Levels?

I intend to try and apply to Oxford for Law in the next 2 years. Unfortunately, I don't believe that I have done spectacularly in my GCSEs. I might've done good, but not spectacular. I'm expecting:

Business: 8/9 (Likely 9)
History: 7/8
Geography: 8/9 (Likely 9)
English Lit.: 7
English Lang.: 7
Maths: 8/9
French: 5
Biology: 8/9
Physics: 8/9
Chemistry: 6/7 (Likely 7)
R.S: 9

Since Oxford still sees 8/9s as effectively both A*, I could probably get around 5-6 A*, maybe 7 based off of the best results of my predicted grades. Of course, that's all subject to change; I might get more, I might get less. Who knows.

That's hardly the point though. From what I've heard, 6 A*s is a soft minimum put in place for most people to even expect an interview. Not only that, but there's a relatively high chance I'm going to not only get 1 bad grade (5 for French) but also a 6 in Chemistry, not to mention I'm less confident on my English grades. Given that that would be around 2-3 Bs, is it even worth applying and expecting an interview, even if I do end up getting flawless A-Levels? I remember hearing them talking about how less emphasis is being placed on GCSEs and all, but obviously questions are going to come up if they're interviewing someone who got Bs at GCSEs. Anyone got any solid advice?
I suggest you wait until you have some actual GCSE results before you start worrying about this - what A levels are you considering (which you seem confident you can get A* in) when some of your weaker subjects seem to be the most obvious ones for Law?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by EBluebear
I suggest you wait until you have some actual GCSE results before you start worrying about this - what A levels are you considering (which you seem confident you can get A* in) when some of your weaker subjects seem to be the most obvious ones for Law?

I am considering Biology, Computer Science, Maths and Further Maths but would be willing to switch the Computer Science for something essay-based like what is recommended for higher universities.
Reply 3
I think I’m surprised your a levels are not more essay based. Stem a levels are great but won’t support your developing your ability to argue a case.
Original post by ttttthghhgh
I am considering Biology, Computer Science, Maths and Further Maths but would be willing to switch the Computer Science for something essay-based like what is recommended for higher universities.

Hiya,

As already mentioned, I first of all recommend to wait until your GCSE results come out - putting it bluntly, there's kind of not much point to speculate and worry right now when you don't know what your results will be and in what position you might be in! So I recommend waiting until then and asking once you find out :dance:.

Also, in terms of your A-Levels, it's not that common to apply to law with stem subjects as mentioned. :bebored:That's not saying that you'll struggle with those A-Levels if you apply for law, but the subjects that people most commonly apply with - e.g. English and History - will most likely be pretty useful for the interview, and it'll be easier to draw upon knowledge from those topics than the stem ones you're doing. However, if you show that you're keen about law and know how to bring your A-Level subjects into law discussions, then that might impress the interviewers :eating:

Let us know what you think! :rolleyes:

Marimo
UCL Y2 Med Student
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest