The Student Room Group

Oxbridge acceptance

I want to study medicine at Oxbridge but have relatively low GCSEs (1A* and 7As). My subjects in A levels are bio,chem and phy. Is there any way that I could still get accepted there if I get A*A*A* and I also give the SAT exams and get a good score showing that I have greatly improved academically. I am an international student. And during the time of my GCSES there was a lot of political instability in my country and a lot of security threats. I also had to take care of my grandmother at that time who was ill.
Reply 1
Original post by Shehroz khan
I want to study medicine at Oxbridge but have relatively low GCSEs (1A* and 7As). My subjects in A levels are bio,chem and phy. Is there any way that I could still get accepted there if I get A*A*A* and I also give the SAT exams and get a good score showing that I have greatly improved academically. I am an international student. And during the time of my GCSES there was a lot of political instability in my country and a lot of security threats. I also had to take care of my grandmother at that time who was ill.

Your grades arent low you should definately apply
Reply 2
Original post by Shehroz khan
Oxford use GCSEs for 50% of their shortlisting so they are highly unlikely to shortlist you. Cambridge use A levels and now UCAT to shortlist, so they are a possibility, but they will then use all elements of an application, including GCSEs, when deciding re offers, so things will be tougher for you than many. But if you must have Oxbridge, Cambridge is a slight possibility, Oxfird almost certainly none.
The only other thing that might be relevant is if they accept your extenuating circumstances, so you could consider that, but I still htink your GCSEs are too low for Oxford
https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics/text-version-of-na-9-8-and-pa-at-gcse-2020
Reply 3
At my cambridge medicine interview they reassured me that the admissions process was very holistic and they look at everything. I feel like your best bet is to perform as high as possible in the entry test and do some academic medicine related supercurriculars, possibly research related. They will also likely take into account the external factors you mentioned as i am pretty sure there is a place to add them in to your ucas application. Do you already have a uni/college in mind?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending