The Student Room Group

Is it worth giving a shot at Oxbridge?

Hi, I want to do Economics at Uni and I really want to do it at UCL because I like the uni and their course outline. I am in Y12. My dad is also asking me to apply to Oxbridge but I just want a realistic opinion of whether i should or not.

My iGCSE grades were:

Maths/EngLang = 8

Chem/Physics = 7

Bio/EngLit = 6

Spanish/RS/CompSci = 5

My school would be deemed as a good performing school.
I am currently doing Economics, Maths and Chemistry for A Levels
I am predicted a A* in Maths and A in Economics and B in Chemistry. I am working harder in chemistry.
I was thinking that i can also maybe give PPE a chance at oxford?

Do you think I have a chance to do Economics at OxBridge or UCL. And can you give any other universities that I can look at to apply to
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by justwanttodowell
Hi, I want to do Economics at Uni and I really want to do it at UCL because I like the uni and their course outline. I am in Y12. My dad is also asking me to apply to Oxbridge but I just want a realistic opinion of whether i should or not.

My iGCSE grades were:

Maths/EngLang = 8

Chem/Physics = 7

Bio/EngLit = 6

Spanish/RS/CompSci = 5

I am predicted a A* in Maths and A in Economics and B in Chemistry. I am working harder in chemistry.

Do you think I have a chance to do Economics at OxBridge or UCL. And can you give any other universities that I can look at to apply to

i feel like i have answered a thread of yours on this matter before! did you see the advice i gave you? :smile:
Original post by justwanttodowell

My iGCSE grades were:

Maths/EngLang = 8

Chem/Physics = 7

Bio/EngLit = 6

Spanish/RS/CompSci = 5

definitely not, sorry.
Original post by emm4nuella
i feel like i have answered a thread of yours on this matter before! did you see the advice i gave you? :smile:

Yea i have. I have started taking your advice sorry, i just resent it because i didnt see it
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 4
Tbh with being an international student, those grades are not up to standard for oxbridge. But UCL would deffo be an option
Reply 5
Oxbridge is unlikely with the B.
As above, the B will make you a very long shot. If you can get that prediction pulled up to an A you have a fair chance at PPE, although below average GCSEs. You may be able to ameliorate this with strong performance in the TSA.

Assuming you did get the B pulled up to an A, you would likely still be less competitive for economics at Cambridge without A-level Further Maths. Same for LSE (for single honours economics) and quite possibly UCL (for the main economics degree at least; something like PPE or HPE where the economics modules are not taught by the economics department may be more of an option). However of those only LSE is overly focused on GCSEs (LSE really probably not an option at all).

If you are studying outside of the UK (i.e. you are an international student) or in Wales, Scotland, or NI and FM is not available to you, your academic referee should explain this in your reference. If you're in England then FM should be available in all schools via the AMSP so that's a harder sell really...
Reply 7
Original post by username6721115

My iGCSE grades were:

Maths/EngLang = 8

Chem/Physics = 7

Bio/EngLit = 6

Spanish/RS/CompSci = 5

I studied Economics at UCL and at the time (I'm pretty sure its still the case) they required A*AA with the A* in maths. Based on the people I met there, quite a large proportion of people actually got higher grades than A*AA so I would really try and see if you could get that B bumped up to an A. In terms of oxbridge, I have to echo the opinions of other responders. I know two people who get into oxbridge for economics-related subjects. One of them got into economics and management at oxford and got 12A*'s in their GCSE's and achieved 4A*'s in their A-levels - PPE although slightly less competitive in terms of offer rate would still have a great number of students with these sorts of grades on the course. The other did econ at cambridge and got A*A*AA at A-level - if anything I think this puts them slightly below average in terms of people on the course. These are the sorts of people you'd be competing against and if anything it is even more competitive now than when they applied. Don't lose all hope though, if you offer a unique personal statement then you have the potential to get an interview for oxbridge. I STRONGLY suggest you get that B bumped up though because unless you have a reason for it there's a good chance you would get rejected from UCL and oxbridge immediately for not meeting the entry requirements (I believe straight econ at cambridge requires A* A*A as well so that's something to bear in mind).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending