The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

Official SOAS 2023 Applicants thread

Welcome to the applicants' thread for the School of Oriental and African Studies!

Here you can chat with other applicants, find out when offers are being given out and perhaps get to know your coursemates.

Questions to get started:
1 - What course are you applying for?
2 - Why SOAS?
3 - What A-levels or equivalent are you taking?
... or if you're a PG, what degree did you do?
4 - Which other unis are you applying for?

Hub for all uni applicants' threads: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7253776
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

International Relations
I chose SOAS because of it's reputation and it's non-western perspective on global politics
IB: English Literature, History and Global Politics at Higher Level, Biology, Spanish Ab Initio and Maths at Standard Level
I'm applying for Manchester, Bristol, Nottingham and York
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
I’m actually going to transfer away from SOAS. Too many issues involving IT, timetabling, and staff responsiveness. I don’t know why anyone would claim they have a good reputation.
Does anyone know how long they take to send decisions to early applicants, specifically for politics and international relations?
Reply 4
Original post by sciencegcsesss
Does anyone know how long they take to send decisions to early applicants, specifically for politics and international relations?

Hey I have no idea but i'm in the same boat as you and feel you're pain :frown:
Where else did you apply to?
Original post by zayyan387392

I'm the same! I applied for international relations and still haven't got an acknowledgement email. Maybe they just take long to respond?
Where else did you apply ?

Original post by ultimatequeen
I'm the same! I applied for international relations and still haven't got an acknowledgement email. Maybe they just take long to respond?
Where else did you apply ?

Hmm that’s weird. Maybe it’s specific to our subject because I’ve literally been experiencing the same thing: I haven’t even received an acknowledgment email and SOAS is the only uni I’ve applied for that hasn’t done so. Kinda annoying ngl
(edited 1 year ago)
Hmm that’s weird. Maybe it’s specific to our subject because I’ve literally been experiencing the same thing: I haven’t even received an acknowledgment email and SOAS is the only uni I’ve applied for that hasn’t done so. Kinda annoying ngl

Maybe it's a sign lol to not go there, I've heard a few horror stories :/
Maybe it's a sign lol to not go there, I've heard a few horror stories :/

Wow really, what have you heard?
Wow really, what have you heard?

Search up SOAS on reddit and there'll be a few forums explaining why it isn't good, a couple of people have made tt's about it too which I only saw until i applied afterwards
Search up SOAS on reddit and there'll be a few forums explaining why it isn't good, a couple of people have made tt's about it too which I only saw until i applied afterwards

Ohhhh right thanks
Original post by Sinnoh
Welcome to the applicants' thread for the School of Oriental and African Studies!

Here you can chat with other applicants, find out when offers are being given out and perhaps get to know your coursemates.

Questions to get started:
1 - What course are you applying for?
2 - Why SOAS?
3 - What A-levels or equivalent are you taking?
... or if you're a PG, what degree did you do?
4 - Which other unis are you applying for?

Hub for all uni applicants' threads: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7253776

Hi, does anyone know how long SOAS tends to take for offers/rejections? SOAS themselves say they typically take 4 weeks but I wanted to hear from peoples experiences.
Original post by sroomuser71
Hi, does anyone know how long SOAS tends to take for offers/rejections? SOAS themselves say they typically take 4 weeks but I wanted to hear from peoples experiences.

Around 3-4 weeks. My UCAS was submitted to unis on 30 September but I haven’t heard anything
Bruh I’m actually getting so impatient now, I can’t stand waiting
Reply 14
Me too! I feel a bit sad about how they didn't even acknowledge our applications. I really just want to hear something from them.
Bruh I’m actually getting so impatient now, I can’t stand waiting
I’m applying for international relations, thinking of also applying to leeds sheffield york and birmingham but I still haven’t decided
SOAS has such a big ego to take so damn ******* long to reply. If I had at least received an acknowledgement email I’d be fine/wouldn’t care but now I’m getting so irritated. I’m predicted 4 A*s, teachers said my personal statement was good and SOAS is not oversubscribed so WHY TAKE SO LONG?!!??!?!

Stg the damn stress of year 13 is making me so unhinged

Edit and it’s so annoying to hear people applying to like Bristol and **** and they get an offer like 2 days or within 10 days within replying and I stressed so much about UCAS to just be left in the dark
(edited 1 year ago)
SOAS has such a big ego to take so damn ******* long to reply. If I had at least received an acknowledgement email I’d be fine/wouldn’t care but now I’m getting so irritated. I’m predicted 4 A*s, teachers said my personal statement was good and SOAS is not oversubscribed so WHY TAKE SO LONG?!!??!?!

Edit and it’s so annoying to hear people applying to like Bristol and **** and they get an offer like 2 days or within 10 days within replying and I stressed so much about UCAS to just be left in the dark

Just be patient. Its only October. Give them time. In the meantime focus on a-levels rather than on whether SOAS gets back to you.
Reply 18

I FEEL YOU! After seeing all the stories about SOAS and now how they don't even acknowledge us it's just so stupid and creates such a bad impression. I understand they have their processes and need to take their time but come on at least let me know if you have my application.
I FEEL YOU! After seeing all the stories about SOAS and now how they don't even acknowledge us it's just so stupid and creates such a bad impression. I understand they have their processes and need to take their time but come on at least let me know if you have my application.

Literally, I completely agree with you. An acknowledgement is the bare minimum but they haven’t done that. Same, this whole embargo has made me less keen on SOAS.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending