The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

Does anyone go to SOAS, and how do you find it??

Also, what degree do you do??
I do econ - admin was a bit slow at the start especially with strikes at the end of my first year but I don’t think it’s hindered me too much in my studies in my second year. I have enjoyed taking open option modules from any other department of my choice each year and it’s a break from my regular econ modules. A lot of other unis don’t allow you to take extra modules like this from what I’ve heard. For example last year I did Arabic and this year I did Islam in China. Lecturers are nice and I havnt had a situation where I needed extra support so I’m not sure about that aspect. In terms of space and buildings wise, it’s quite small and can get busy but I usually manage to get a seat to study in the library. If ur looking for a fancy uni experience with nice buildings and large campus I’m not sure soas is the one. But it’s located in a central area with nice food and activities nearby which is a plus.
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Original post by Kymarnii
SOAS is one of my 5 choices for a UCAS application for a Law degree. Because it is a very highly respected university and it is easy to get there too. For example, the Elizabeth Line goes to Tottenham Court Road, and then it is a just a short 5 minute walk to SOAS. :biggrin: lol
I did a CertHE there. Lecturers were great, really supportive and engaged with teaching and learning in my area. However admin was atrocious - I didn't get my qualification awarded until nearly 18 months after I finished the course, and only because I went there every week for 3 months (sometimes twice a week) to chase up continually. Also had issues on the course with them taking nearly 3 months to reimburse me some fees I paid that were than paid by SFE (while I was out of pocket the whole time...).

I have a pretty high threshold for what I consider "bad" uni admin, as I've worked in a uni before and studied at several and am aware a lot of what new students think is "bad" admin is just the standard for the sector, but SOAS really was by far and away an outlier. Which was a shame since I had such a fantastic experience studying there with the academics really standing out to me in the quality of teaching and support compared to other unis I've been at.

That said for most students you probably won't need to deal with the admin much so won't be affected by that. If you do end up having to get them to do anything (which is usually something stressful and/or urgent) it becomes quite painful though. I wouldn't say to let that stop you from applying there but it is worth preparing yourself for mentally if you do go there!
Original post by Kymarnii

Hi Kymarnii,

Final year BA Chinese SOAS student here! Sorry for the late response, I hope my reply can still be of help to you.

My time at SOAS has been wonderful, I personally like the small campus and the intimate feel that the university has. Also, being in the heart of central London has been exciting, to say the least. The highlight of my degree has to be the year abroad in Taiwan, I polished my language skills, made friends for life, travelled, and learned about a new culture. It is now a possibility to do a year abroad at SOAS, even if you aren't studying a language as a part of your degree. The universities that we have partnerships with can be viewed on this interactive map. Once you open the link, click on the 'view the map' button to see the institutions that you can study at.

As for the courses offered here, if you are wanting to study anything related to the Middle East, Asia, and Africa, it is the place to be. What initially drew me to SOAS was the focus on East Asia, the modules that I loved were, East Asian Cinema, Japanese 1A, Chinese-English translation, Culture & Society of Taiwan, Opium & Empires, etc., you can browse our modules and courses here.

Another aspect of student life that I have enjoyed at SOAS is the opportunities on offer. In my time here I have been a Student Representative, Peer Mentor, and Student Ambassador. There are also 100+ societies to join; I, alongside other BA Chinese students, started a calligraphy society in my 2nd year, you can have a look at the societies on offer at SOAS here.

I hope that this has helped you in understanding a bit more about the student life at SOAS & if you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

D
Final Year UG Chinese

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending