The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

Soas 2023

I have received an offer from SOAS -MA in Social Anthropology. Has anybody else applied and gotten accepted to the same course? I would love to know of others! :-)
Hey!

Congratulations on the offer! I'm currently studying the MA in Social Anthropology at SOAS. let me know if you have any questions!

- Monica
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Reply 2
Original post by SOAS Official Student Rep One
Hey!

Congratulations on the offer! I'm currently studying the MA in Social Anthropology at SOAS. let me know if you have any questions!

- Monica

Hi Monica,

I am looking to defer my offer for financial reasons. How must I go about it?

Thanks!
Here is some guidance on how to defer your offer as a masters student.

Essentially what you need to do is email [email protected] (state your application ID) and let them know that you would like to defer your offer and state the reasons why.

Good Luck and all the best with your studies next year!

- Monica

Original post by doctorblush
Hi Monica,

I am looking to defer my offer for financial reasons. How must I go about it?

Thanks!
Reply 4
Here is some guidance on how to defer your offer as a masters student.

Essentially what you need to do is email [email protected] (state your application ID) and let them know that you would like to defer your offer and state the reasons why.

Good Luck and all the best with your studies next year!

- Monica

Hiii thanks. I am assuming you first have to accept your offer and then write to the concerned authority requesting a deferral?? Thanks a lot
Hey I am joining in September, going to be studying PPE.
Original post by doctorblush
Hiii thanks. I am assuming you first have to accept your offer and then write to the concerned authority requesting a deferral?? Thanks a lot

Hey!

Yes, I'm pretty sure you need to accept the offer first and then email the admissions team to request a deferral!
Reply 7
Hey!

Hello SOAS Student Rep (not sure if you're Monica or someone else now)

I'm really keen to apply for MA Social Anthropology but I just have some concerns right now. I hope you can kindly share your views on these matters:

1. I don't have an undergraduate degree in anthropology, as I studied something else (law). Would it be difficult for me to catch-up or do you think this MA is ok for "new converts" like myself?

2. In the course modules list (URL of the page below), it says we should choose 3 modules from List A and B. So if I decide to choose all 3 modules from List A and zero modules (none) from List B, then that's still permissible, right? However, does this mean my MA will be less wholesome (or less attractive for a future career) because I didn't choose any module related to an ethnographic location (region)?

3. Which ethnographic location (region) module did you choose for your MA, if any, and why? I might need some inspiration for List B, that's why I'm asking (and I hope you don't think I'm being nosy).

I hope I'm not too late to apply for Sep 2023 intake!

Thank you so much.

-Z-
Reply 8
Hey!

- Monica

I forgot to paste the URL. Here it is:

https://www.soas.ac.uk/study/find-course/ma-social-anthropology

-Z-
Reply 9
Hey!

Ignore my 2 comments above. I have updated my questions and compiled them in a different thread. I hope you can kindly respond to this thread instead:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7365123
Thank you.
Hi @SOAS I firmed the uni and I haven't been receiving emails in general and was wondering if that is testament to my a levels results before results day, or whether this is normal? I am also a home student.
Original post by Annabel11111
Hi @SOAS I firmed the uni and I haven't been receiving emails in general and was wondering if that is testament to my a levels results before results day, or whether this is normal? I am also a home student.

Hello!

Universities do not know your results yet. If you're not receiving emails it's probably because SOAS has not sent out any emails yet or the details for your email address might be incorrect so you haven't been receiving them. I recommend you reach out to [email protected] letting them know that you're a little concerned that you have not been receiving any communications.

Also have you joined SOAS's Unibuddy community? Its a great place to connect with other offer holders and talk directly to staff here at SOAS.

But don't stress, enjoy the summer and good luck on results day!

Monica - (MA Social Anthropology SOAS)
Original post by Annabel11111

Hi!

Just to add to what @SOAS Official Student Rep One said, it might also be good to send an email to [email protected], to check that your contact details are all up to date.

Good luck on results day and please let us know if you have any other questions!

- K (BSc Accounting and Finance)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending