The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

Soas language open option modules?

Hello! I'm a soas undergrad student just finishing Term 2 of first year and am now picking modules for second year. I do International relations BA which gives me the option to do 30 credits (2 terms) worth of either IR modules (politics of development, nationalism etc) or language. I'm considering doing Arabic but am not sure whether the language modules or worth it or if im losing out academically by not doing politics modules. Has anyone who has done language open option modules talk about their experience? or anyone who decided not to pick them and why? thank you :smile:
Hello, I'm currently in my final year studying Arabic and International Relations at SOAS. I highly recommend considering the open Arabic module. While it may seem tempting to focus solely on politics modules, skipping the Arabic module doesn't put you at an academic disadvantage as you can opt to study those modules the year after. However, with a language module, it's essential to recognise that taking just one module can be challenging as you'll likely only cover the basics of grammar and vocabulary without much opportunity to develop it further. Hence, I'd suggest taking another non-language open module or taking more Arabic credits later on in your final year as well. Hope this helps!

Z
UG Arabic and IR
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Reply 2
Original post by SOAS Student Rep
Hello, I'm currently in my final year studying Arabic and International Relations at SOAS. I highly recommend considering the open Arabic module. While it may seem tempting to focus solely on politics modules, skipping the Arabic module doesn't put you at an academic disadvantage as you can opt to study those modules the year after. However, with a language module, it's essential to recognise that taking just one module can be challenging as you'll likely only cover the basics of grammar and vocabulary without much opportunity to develop it further. Hence, I'd suggest taking another non-language open module or taking more Arabic credits later on in your final year as well. Hope this helps!
Z
UG Arabic and IR

i was considering 2 terms worth of arabic modules (15 credits each) in year 2 and possible one or two more in year 3 as third year also has the option for language and non language open options. but im still unsure about whether id rather use the opportunity in third year to explore the open modules of other departments rather than continuing with arabic
Original post by Pot8o
i was considering 2 terms worth of arabic modules (15 credits each) in year 2 and possible one or two more in year 3 as third year also has the option for language and non language open options. but im still unsure about whether id rather use the opportunity in third year to explore the open modules of other departments rather than continuing with arabic

That's a great idea. Perhaps try it out for second year and see how it goes. If you really enjoy it, you can continue taking more credits in Year 2 and 3. Otherwise, you have the option to explore other open modules that are non-language related. Good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by SOAS Student Rep
That's a great idea. Perhaps try it out for second year and see how it goes. If you really enjoy it, you can continue taking more credits in Year 2 and 3. Otherwise, you have the option to explore other open modules that are non-language related. Good luck!

thank you so much! <3
Original post by Pot8o
thank you so much! <3

no worries!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending