The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

For Gender studies, SOAS or Uni of Sussex?

Hey!
I have received acceptance for Master's in Gender Studies from SOAS and the University of Sussex. At SOAS I opted for Master's - Gender studies and Law (I did my bachelor's in law and have experience working as a Legal expert on GBV at an international non-profit org) and at the University of Sussex, it is just Gender Studies. I think SOAS's coursework is more intersectional and relevant to my area of work, but my knowledge about the Uni of Sussex is v limited. Your input about the same would be really helpful.
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by aastha99
Hey!
I have received acceptance for Master's in Gender Studies from SOAS and the University of Sussex. At SOAS I opted for Master's - Gender studies and Law (I did my bachelor's in law and have experience working as a Legal expert on GBV at an international non-profit org) and at the University of Sussex, it is just Gender Studies. I think SOAS's coursework is more intersectional and relevant to my area of work, but my knowledge about the Uni of Sussex is v limited. Your input about the same would be really helpful.

Hi aastha99 - the MA Gender and Law at SOAS definitely adopts an intersectional approach which I’ve found helpful; especially when thinking through the applicability of the subjects to current events & everyday life. I will also say that the decolonial lens at SOAS has been truly valuable for expanding my own ways of thinking. The gender department at SOAS is outstanding, and the law modules are great for expanding your knowledge on how law works (I had never done any law prior to the degree!). Feminist legal analysis is also very much embedded in their teaching which I believe is quite unique to SOAS as well!

I hope that helps and good luck!

Rachel
MA Gender and Law
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending