The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham St Mary's Shoichi T/time only Accommodation offer

Hi,

A parent here with first post on this site. Yesterday, daughter was offered term time only accommodation in Shoichi Hall. We'd asked for en-suite, but understand there are only a few rooms, so expected to get Standard room offer & surprised to get term time only offer.
A couple of things:
1. Does term time only mean totally clearing out your room for holidays? If not, does it mean your things are in there, but someone stays in your room??
2. Daughter worried that Shoichi is a bit of a satellite of St Mary's ie not the 'real thing' (my words not hers!) and she won't meet people in the same way as if she was in either of the main buildings e.g. Ferguson. This has slightly taken the edge off her excitement of heading to St Mary's.

3. Are rooms in Shoichi mostly allocated to Japanese exchange students or are there lots of full-time Durham students on the corridors as well? She has a major concern about meeting people to share accommodation with in second year if only meeting temporary Exchange Students on her corridor.

(PS no issues with Exchange students - I'm Australian and did an Exchange to Japan!)

Eldest child, so no prior experience of Uni accommodation.
If anyone has direct experience of this, I'd be very grateful for some information. Would like to put these questions to the College, but I'm guessing they're snowed under right now!

Many thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by afishoutofwater
Hi,

A parent here with first post on this site. Yesterday, daughter was offered term time only accommodation in Shoichi Hall. We'd asked for en-suite, but understand there are only a few rooms, so expected to get Standard room offer & surprised to get term time only offer.
A couple of things:
1. Does term time only mean totally clearing out your room for holidays? If not, does it mean your things are in there, but someone stays in your room??
2. Daughter worried that Shoichi is a bit of a satellite of St Mary's ie not the 'real thing' (my words not hers!) and she won't meet people in the same way as if she was in either of the main buildings e.g. Ferguson. This has slightly taken the edge off her excitement of heading to St Mary's.

3. Are rooms in Shoichi mostly allocated to Japanese exchange students or are there lots of full-time Durham students on the corridors as well? She has a major concern about meeting people to share accommodation with in second year if only meeting temporary Exchange Students on her corridor.

(PS no issues with Exchange students - I'm Australian and did an Exchange to Japan!)

If anyone has direct experience of this, I'd be very grateful for some information. Would like to put these questions to the College, but I'm guessing they're snowed under right now!

Many thanks.

Hi, we have just heard that our son has been allocated there too - and he is at Trevelyan College. So it sounds like they are mixing the colleges a bit. The woman I spoke to said that about 40 Trevs students will be allocated there, with no foreign exchange students. They will still have access to all of their college’s facilities, but will be about 3 mins away from their central sites… not quite the same but better than being miles away, I suppose! And the building looks nice.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Hi,

A couple of things:

Many thanks

Hi, I'm not at Mary's so please take what I'll say with a pinch of salt
1) in my college it means that you have to move everything out and that the room can be rented by someone else. My college offers the opportunity to pay extra if you want to keep the room but I don't know if Mary's does that. Is also possible that they need the rooms for open days
2) I don't see this as a problem, many colleges have more than one building and they are often spread around. Examples are Hatfield with the main building on the Bailey and other near the DSU or Chads with many small houses. And people in this accomodation don't have a different experience, she will still use all the facilities of Mary's and she will be next door to the main building
3) I'm not sure but Mary's website says that the accomodation are use by both exchange students and Mary's students and I'd assume that how many Durham students are there depends on the amount of exchange students
For any college that lets out or uses its rooms for others in the holidays, there is a term time contract only. The en-suite rooms in Collingwood for example all have to be vacated in the holidays as they are let out to external visitors. Some have a small locked cupboard and underbed storage where items can be stored, but otherwise everything has to be removed. I don't know what the storage is like for Shoichi Hall though.
Original post by LRC1000
Hi, we have just heard that our son has been allocated there too - and he is at Trevelyan College. So it sounds like they are mixing the colleges a bit. The woman I spoke to said that about 40 Trevs students will be allocated there, with no foreign exchange students. They will still have access to all of their college’s facilities, but will be about 3 mins away from their central sites… not quite the same but better than being miles away, I suppose! And the building looks nice.

Thanks, that's good info. Is your son on a 'term time only' contract too? We are waiting for a call from the St Mary's accommodation people this afternoon to clarify some things. Will let you know if we get further useful info.
Hi there! I’m Will, St Mary’s JCR Treasurer.

I am delighted to hear you/your child are joining Mary’s in September. I have been told that you are having concerns about your allocation to Shoichi Hall as part of Teikyo University. Please do not worry at all!!

I am going into my second year (living out). Last year I had a room (73) on the first floor East Wing Fergusson with the library. My room was perfect, larger than the others on the corridor as it was at the end. I was facing out over the beautiful ‘weeping Angel’ statues and Shoichi Hall. My corridor friend group was called ‘Coriander’ and we became best friends with the Mary’s people in Teikyo. I’ve had so many wonderful memories in my first year at Mary’s, and I’m sure your daughter will feel the same.

Mary’s and Trevs, as the neighbouring colleges to Shoichi Hall and Etsuko Hall, have had 12 students in their each year since around 2005 as an exchange. (The Teikyo university teaching site is separate, by the Oriental Museum and Elvet Hill House). It has been a massive success.

Last year due to the oversubscriptions, and the fact that the Japanese students weren’t coming (until Summer), Collingwood and Cuth’s overflow were also assigned to Teikyo but that won’t happen this year.

Shoichi Hall is just next door and is actually closer to Fergusson than Williamson is because you enter through the Cloister doors! It’s really nice and you’ll still use the wonderful Mary’s dining hall and interact with everyone as normal. The living room is so lovely there with ‘hospital waiting room’ style seats. We had so many nice gatherings there before clubbing (side note: I don’t drink and it is completely accepted and everyone is so friendly and understanding) and the Teikyo porters are nice. It also has propers kitchens with hobs, and a proper freezer. Way better than Fergusson kitchenettes! Shoichi also smells very nice (of watermelons haha) and is kept to a higher cleaning standard than Fergusson. You also have your own library and laundry room so you don’t have to worry about lugging laundry to Fergusson or collecting parcels at Fergusson. The only downside is that the rooms are generally smaller. You’ll get the same warm welcome from freps, and your personalised Simpson’s Room Signs (we had Scooby Doo as the theme last year). In sum, it is a lovely building and you’ll make so many memories there. It is also better than having to live in the Viaduct like 37 people had to last year!

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions. Have you joined the Freshers Facebook page? It would be good to share it with the Freshers WhatsApp page as we are yet to have most Freshers join. Please feel free to say hi to me - I am the only man to have ever done Mary’s Dance and we’ll be performing in Freshers Week at the Live Lounge.
Hi,

A couple of things:

Many thanks.
Also 2 more things I missed:

1. The term time contract is because at the end of Epiphany (2nd Term) in March there used to be Residential Post-Offer Visit Days. You weren't required to pack up everything, just what you didn't want to leave. e.g. Leaving posters and photos and your clothes is all fine but left at own risk. However, these residential visits have been cancelled since Covid and I don't think there is any intention to bring them back (we have day POVDs in February half-term and online ones now). But that hasn't been confirmed which is why there are still term time only contracts. But this year there weren't residential POVDs so Teikyo students didn't have to pack anything up, and they still got their accommodation very slightly cheaper! (also term time contracts also applied to some Williamson and Fergusson people)

2. The 12 Mary's people will be kept on the same corridor (downstairs, RHS), Trevs should be downstairs on LHS and Teikyo students upstairs.
Original post by wbanner2001

I am delighted to hear you/your child are joining Mary’s in September. I have been told that you are having concerns about your allocation to Shoichi Hall as part of Teikyo University. Please do not worry at all!!

I am going into my second year (living out). Last year I had a room (73) on the first floor East Wing Fergusson with the library. My room was perfect, larger than the others on the corridor as it was at the end. I was facing out over the beautiful ‘weeping Angel’ statues and Shoichi Hall. My corridor friend group was called ‘Coriander’ and we became best friends with the Mary’s people in Teikyo. I’ve had so many wonderful memories in my first year at Mary’s, and I’m sure your daughter will feel the same.

Mary’s and Trevs, as the neighbouring colleges to Shoichi Hall and Etsuko Hall, have had 12 students in their each year since around 2005 as an exchange. (The Teikyo university teaching site is separate, by the Oriental Museum and Elvet Hill House). It has been a massive success.

Last year due to the oversubscriptions, and the fact that the Japanese students weren’t coming (until Summer), Collingwood and Cuth’s overflow were also assigned to Teikyo but that won’t happen this year.

Shoichi Hall is just next door and is actually closer to Fergusson than Williamson is because you enter through the Cloister doors! It’s really nice and you’ll still use the wonderful Mary’s dining hall and interact with everyone as normal. The living room is so lovely there with ‘hospital waiting room’ style seats. We had so many nice gatherings there before clubbing (side note: I don’t drink and it is completely accepted and everyone is so friendly and understanding) and the Teikyo porters are nice. It also has propers kitchens with hobs, and a proper freezer. Way better than Fergusson kitchenettes! Shoichi also smells very nice (of watermelons haha) and is kept to a higher cleaning standard than Fergusson. You also have your own library and laundry room so you don’t have to worry about lugging laundry to Fergusson or collecting parcels at Fergusson. The only downside is that the rooms are generally smaller. You’ll get the same warm welcome from freps, and your personalised Simpson’s Room Signs (we had Scooby Doo as the theme last year). In sum, it is a lovely building and you’ll make so many memories there. It is also better than having to live in the Viaduct like 37 people had to last year!

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions. Have you joined the Freshers Facebook page? It would be good to share it with the Freshers WhatsApp page as we are yet to have most Freshers join. Please feel free to say hi to me - I am the only man to have ever done Mary’s Dance and we’ll be performing in Freshers Week at the Live Lounge.
Have now had a very satisfactory call with the lovely accommodation lady at St Mary's who answered all our questions. 32 St Mary's students will be in a single section of the Shoichi/Teikyo building all together. Students from Trev housed in a different section together too. It is no further from Ferguson than Williamson is and there's a direct path. For this building, 'term time only' means lock up your room and go home for holidays - no need to clear anything out (except perhaps any valuables) and no-one will be staying in your room while you're away. We were told she'd fielded about 50 calls with very similar questions on this today (esp term-time only queries), so is going to recommend that the wording sent to students is clarified. 18yo now back to being very excited about heading up to Durham!

Hi Will! Thanks so much for all the information in both your messages - it's very helpful. As I noted in a separate post just now, we had a great call this afternoon with St Mary's staff who kindly put us at ease. I'll make sure my daughter has a look at your reply and gets onto the Whatsapp and Facebook pages. She's really looking forward to joining you all in a couple of weeks (and has already bought her wristband!!).

Thanks again.
Have now had a very satisfactory call with the lovely accommodation lady at St Mary's who answered all our questions. 32 St Mary's students will be in a single section of the Shoichi/Teikyo building all together. Students from Trev housed in a different section together too. It is no further from Ferguson than Williamson is and there's a direct path. For this building, 'term time only' means lock up your room and go home for holidays - no need to clear anything out (except perhaps any valuables) and no-one will be staying in your room while you're away. We were told she'd fielded about 50 calls with very similar questions on this today (esp term-time only queries), so is going to recommend that the wording sent to students is clarified. 18yo now back to being very excited about heading up to Durham!

I'm very glad this has been resolved! It is probably a good thing that this year there are now 32 Mary's people there. I assume that is because there is still some oversubscription this year, but not as high as last year so no one will be in the viaduct.
You are very welcome!
Hi Will! Thanks so much for all the information in both your messages - it's very helpful. As I noted in a separate post just now, we had a great call this afternoon with St Mary's staff who kindly put us at ease. I'll make sure my daughter has a look at your reply and gets onto the Whatsapp and Facebook pages. She's really looking forward to joining you all in a couple of weeks (and has already bought her wristband!!).

Thanks again.

I've been following this thread ever since I got my accommodation and was super worried about how unexpected the placement was. You've seriously calmed my nerves! Thank you so much, I'm back to being excited now :biggrin:!!
Original post by Anonymous
I've been following this thread ever since I got my accommodation and was super worried about how unexpected the placement was. You've seriously calmed my nerves! Thank you so much, I'm back to being excited now :biggrin:!!

Bless you, you are very welcome! I can’t wait to meet all you new freshers, feel free to say hi!
Hi Will, thank you so much for taking the time to post at length on this, super helpful and re-assuring. My son was allocated same, and I wasn’t too sure about what term-time only meant, so this thread has been very helpful, together with the OP’s update post phone call. We dropped my son off Saturday, there is a great feel about the place even though we were a day early, and he is also pretty happy as he’s next door to the small gym! I’m excited for him, I think it’s going to suit him really well!
Hi i was just wondering how your daughter got on this last year as it seems my daughter is in the same position and been allocated a room in this building and is having a panic!!!
Original post by TrevorUni77
Hi i was just wondering how your daughter got on this last year as it seems my daughter is in the same position and been allocated a room in this building and is having a panic!!!

Hi. Congratulations to your daughter and no need at all for panic! My daughter has had the best year at Durham and has loved being at 'Mary's'. Her room actually ended up being in Etsuko, which is the smaller of the two buildings that were originally built for the Teikyo University students; Shoichi Hall being the other, slightly larger, one. It seems the Teikyo Exchange students are now housed in the main buildings (Ferguson and Williamson) so they get a better all-round experience of mixing rather than being off in their own building. Thus the two buildings are available to other St Mary's students. This year in Shoichi there was a floor of Mary's students with a floor of Trevelyan (Trevs) students above.

She has had a great time in Etsuko - there were six on her floor, six on the floor below and some postgrad students on the floor above (who seemed to keep to themselves). The building has its own little common room where people would meet to hang out either for drinks before going out, movies, games etc - including friends from other buildings. This meant they didn't have to be in the big common room in the main building for small gatherings - bit like having your own lounge room. It also has a full kitchen - great for late night pesto pasta!

The Etsuko building is right out the back of Ferguson, so a very short walk to meals and all the other things that take place in the main building. The Shoichi building is marginally further but still very close i.e. 1 minute.

She has made loads of friends from across the college (all buildings) as there has been so much put on by Mary's for them to do & be involved in. (This is helpful as finding second year housing happens VERY early in Durham and it was great to have met people she really gelled with from across the college in the first few weeks.) Friends are from across the country and some internationals.

Another apparent advantage of the two smaller buildings - fewer fire alarms set off with middle of the night wake ups...! Generally quieter as fewer people on your corridor, but with all the advantage of the main buildings right next door. TBH she feels she was really fortunate to have had the room she did. So our initial panic (due to having no idea about anything!!) was misplaced.
Hi. Congratulations to your daughter and no need at all for panic! My daughter has had the best year at Durham and has loved being at 'Mary's'. Her room actually ended up being in Etsuko, which is the smaller of the two buildings that were originally built for the Teikyo University students; Shoichi Hall being the other, slightly larger, one. It seems the Teikyo Exchange students are now housed in the main buildings (Ferguson and Williamson) so they get a better all-round experience of mixing rather than being off in their own building. Thus the two buildings are available to other St Mary's students. This year in Shoichi there was a floor of Mary's students with a floor of Trevelyan (Trevs) students above.

She has had a great time in Etsuko - there were six on her floor, six on the floor below and some postgrad students on the floor above (who seemed to keep to themselves). The building has its own little common room where people would meet to hang out either for drinks before going out, movies, games etc - including friends from other buildings. This meant they didn't have to be in the big common room in the main building for small gatherings - bit like having your own lounge room. It also has a full kitchen - great for late night pesto pasta!

The Etsuko building is right out the back of Ferguson, so a very short walk to meals and all the other things that take place in the main building. The Shoichi building is marginally further but still very close i.e. 1 minute.

She has made loads of friends from across the college (all buildings) as there has been so much put on by Mary's for them to do & be involved in. (This is helpful as finding second year housing happens VERY early in Durham and it was great to have met people she really gelled with from across the college in the first few weeks.) Friends are from across the country and some internationals.

Another apparent advantage of the two smaller buildings - fewer fire alarms set off with middle of the night wake ups...! Generally quieter as fewer people on your corridor, but with all the advantage of the main buildings right next door. TBH she feels she was really fortunate to have had the room she did. So our initial panic (due to having no idea about anything!!) was misplaced.

Sorry, forgot to say that the 'term-time only' allocation also was no problem. At holiday time, she had to just leave her room the day after her term ended, lock the door and leave. They just lock the building, no-one stays in her room. They simply suggested taking valuables.

Thank you so much for taking thr time to reply in such detail! I am so pleased your daughter has had such a great year in Marys. Last night we were all a little worried but today wveryone is happy again and also she received a follow up email confirming the arrangements for vacating room in hols and that there will be around 45 St Marys students in this accomodation so my daughter is now back to her previous level of excitement!! She is actually really pleased to have heard (and has oredered the t shirt) as a couple of people she knows have still not had any correspondence from St Marys so are a little anxious not to have heard. The bit of £ saving is also helpful 🤣🤣 so we are looking at all the positives which you have also confirmed, so thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest