The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Official Durham University freshers 2023 chat

Hello and welcome to all the Durham University Freshers of 2023! :hello:

You made it through your exams, results day has been and gone, and now you finally know where you’ll be headed in just a few weeks! :thumbsup:

This is a place where you can introduce yourself, meet other students who’ll be joining you at university, and make a few friends even before you arrive! :yeah:

So to kick off, why not introduce yourself with:
What course you’ll be studying
What you like doing in your spare time
What you’re most looking forward to about studying at Durham University

Only share as much information as you wish.
In this forum, you can post anonymously if you tick the box at the bottom. :smile:

Finally, a few useful threads you might want to take a look at to help you prepare:
Remember to update your student finance application - The Student Room

Good luck everyone and a massive WELL DONE for everything you have achieved!

Scroll to see replies

Massive congratulations to all the incoming freshers, you all make me proud. You have so much to look forward to in the next couple of years and I hope you cherish this time while it lasts. In preparation for coming to Durham, I've written a blog that you will find helpful. Read it and let me know if you have any questions or concerns, I'm always around to help you :wink:

-Himieka
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
I have just received my accommodation from castle (single room w/ shared bathroom). The address says the Castle, do you think this means I'm in the castle walls or am I still probably in one of the other accommodation blocks?
Original post by Anonymous
I have just received my accommodation from castle (single room w/ shared bathroom). The address says the Castle, do you think this means I'm in the castle walls or am I still probably in one of the other accommodation blocks?

Hiya

It's unlikely that your room is within the Castle walls because the limited rooms allocated to freshers in the Castle walls are all shared. Since you have a single room, it's likely to be in one of the blocks near Castle.

-Himieka
Reply 4
I completed my enrolment this morning but didnt receive a confirmation email so I logged back in to see what it said and its prompting me to start it again. Should I do it again or give it a while and see what happens? Thanks!
Original post by user5037
I completed my enrolment this morning but didnt receive a confirmation email so I logged back in to see what it said and its prompting me to start it again. Should I do it again or give it a while and see what happens? Thanks!

Hello!
Confirmation emails should be sent after enrolment is completed, if you still haven't received an email you may need to log back in and check. Once you're logged in, there should be a red tick mark next to enrolment if you have completed it. If it's not there, you may need to double check if you've completed it and if you still don't receive a confirmation email; You may need to contact IT or the student registry to assist you further.

Hope this helps!

- Ghala
Reply 6
Hi, I just have a quick question about the college accommodation fees. For some reason I am having to pay for the 39 week license even though I am only going to be in college during term time. Is there a particular reason for this? (I’m in Hatfield College btw)

Thanks.
Original post by AYZ88
Hi, I just have a quick question about the college accommodation fees. For some reason I am having to pay for the 39 week license even though I am only going to be in college during term time. Is there a particular reason for this? (I’m in Hatfield College btw)

Thanks.

Hi there

Students don't usually get to decide the length of their license term which is set by the college itself. For most students in most colleges, the standard term is 39 weeks irrespective of whether you stay during term-time or not. The same goes for private housing as well, the contract is for the entire year and you cannot opt out of certain holiday months just because you're not living there during that time.

Hope that clears it :smile:

-Himieka
I had an email about enrolment then it was followed up with an email saying the last email was a mistake, and that I still needed to wait for an email with login details before I could enrol. Does anyone have any idea how long it will take for this email to come through?
I had an email about enrolment then it was followed up with an email saying the last email was a mistake, and that I still needed to wait for an email with login details before I could enrol. Does anyone have any idea how long it will take for this email to come through?

Hi there

I don't know how long this will take but please don't worry, it will definitely be soon and in enough time for you to complete all the formalities before you come to Durham.

-Himieka
Reply 10
Original post by Durham Students
Hi there

Students don't usually get to decide the length of their license term which is set by the college itself. For most students in most colleges, the standard term is 39 weeks irrespective of whether you stay during term-time or not. The same goes for private housing as well, the contract is for the entire year and you cannot opt out of certain holiday months just because you're not living there during that time.

Hope that clears it :smile:

-Himieka

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks so much for your help clearing that up :smile:
Reply 11
When I try to log onto the banner self service it keeps saying 'login forbidden', I dont know if I'm doing something wrong or if its not working
Original post by EloraPuff
When I try to log onto the banner self service it keeps saying 'login forbidden', I dont know if I'm doing something wrong or if its not working

I would email the IT department, I had some issues with banner self service last year and they managed to sort it.

I had similar issues and spoke to them today, they said its down at the moment but hopefully will be fixed and running again properly soon!
Reply 14
I had similar issues and spoke to them today, they said its down at the moment but hopefully will be fixed and running again properly soon!

Thanks, I saw the website was down for the last days but I just assumed it might all be working.
Reply 15

When logging into banner self service, what part of the username do i use. Do i use just the unique bit or it as a whole with the Durham email formate after?
When logging into banner self service, what part of the username do i use. Do i use just the unique bit or it as a whole with the Durham email formate after?

I don’t know if it’s the same for you with Everything being set up like your emails yet and what not but current students have to go through a Microsoft log in rather than the portal which is for applicants which asks for email, password and authentication to get in. This may not have switched over yet for freshers though.

I'm pretty sure I've been using the full email with the unique letters and numbers they gave us @durham.ac.uk
Reply 18
I'm pretty sure I've been using the full email with the unique letters and numbers they gave us @durham.ac.uk

Thats what I tried but it does also work with a switched over link through Microsoft.
I don’t know if it’s the same for you with Everything being set up like your emails yet and what not but current students have to go through a Microsoft log in rather than the portal which is for applicants which asks for email, password and authentication to get in. This may not have switched over yet for freshers though.

A lot of the time it doesn’t require the full email but just the username so like abcd12

Quick Reply

Latest