The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

University of Aberdeen 2023 Applicants Thread

Hi all, this is the official thread for anyone who is interested in applying to the University of Aberdeen to start their studies September 2023.

For questions about the application process, information about the University, and to chat to other prospective students then you've come to the right place! This chat will be monitored by the enquiry team for incoming students including myself, and we can help with a variety of questions and provide you some more contact details if you need them. Looking forward to hearing from you and helping you on your journey!

- Matthew, Enquiry Team

Scroll to see replies

My daughter applied a week ago! We visited Aberdeen this summer and loved it.
She’s applying for Psychology with counselling skills.
IB student, predicted 35 with HL Psychology at 7
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
Original post by UoA Enquiry Team
Hi all, this is the official thread for anyone who is interested in applying to the University of Aberdeen to start their studies September 2023.

For questions about the application process, information about the University, and to chat to other prospective students then you've come to the right place! This chat will be monitored by the enquiry team for incoming students including myself, and we can help with a variety of questions and provide you some more contact details if you need them. Looking forward to hearing from you and helping you on your journey!

- Matthew, Enquiry Team

Hi Matthew, my daughter applied on Oct 17 and all other universities have been in touch with acknowledgment emails, fee status questionnaires and even two offers. She hadn’t heard anything from Aberdeen - it’s still early, I know, but can you tell me a little bit about typical timelines? Thanks 😊
Original post by ThirdCultureMum
Hi Matthew, my daughter applied on Oct 17 and all other universities have been in touch with acknowledgment emails, fee status questionnaires and even two offers. She hadn’t heard anything from Aberdeen - it’s still early, I know, but can you tell me a little bit about typical timelines? Thanks 😊

Hi!

Really glad to hear that your daughter likes Aberdeen and has applied!

We haven't sent out acknowlegement emails yet, so please don't worry about that - we will send them out in the not too distant future, but if UCAS shows she has applied to us, we will have the application!

Most of our offers will not be made till after the equal consideration deadline at the end of January, and I can't advise on fee status questionnaires, as it varies so widley! :smile:

Eleanor, Enquiry Team
Hi!

Really glad to hear that your daughter likes Aberdeen and has applied!

We haven't sent out acknowlegement emails yet, so please don't worry about that - we will send them out in the not too distant future, but if UCAS shows she has applied to us, we will have the application!

Most of our offers will not be made till after the equal consideration deadline at the end of January, and I can't advise on fee status questionnaires, as it varies so widley! :smile:

Eleanor, Enquiry Team

Thank you, this is very helpful and I have recieved a confirmation email now. :smile:

- Matthew, Enquiry Team

hi Matthew, I applied for the Jan 2023 intake on 9 Oct and still have not received any response about my application. It's been a while, can you tell me something about this?
Reply 6
I’ve applied for Law with English Law and was wondering if doing the degree in Scotland would put me at a disadvantage if I wanted to work in England?
Original post by James Lexington
hi Matthew, I applied for the Jan 2023 intake on 9 Oct and still have not received any response about my application. It's been a while, can you tell me something about this?

Hi, this thread is mainly for applications for September 2023. I'll send you a direct message with some more guidance on this.

- Matthew, Enquiry Team
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by 0atm1lk
I’ve applied for Law with English Law and was wondering if doing the degree in Scotland would put me at a disadvantage if I wanted to work in England?

Our English Law course would still be accredited as a full qualification in English Law, and so would not disadvantage in terms of a qualification. The only disadvantage I can think of would be the need to look into professional practice opportunities remotely if you were looking to do those in England. It would be worth having a look at some English Law careers advice, and we do have some resources for that on our site here: https://www.abdn.ac.uk/careers/resources/occupations/56/#faq45

Hope this is helpful!

- Matthew, Enquiry Team
Reply 9
Hi,Is there a discussion forum for Jan 2023 applicants? I wants to know how long is the waiting time for CAS issuance. I have uploaded all the necessary documents on 7th Nov and haven't received any communication from the University.
Original post by Amaldev
Hi,Is there a discussion forum for Jan 2023 applicants? I wants to know how long is the waiting time for CAS issuance. I have uploaded all the necessary documents on 7th Nov and haven't received any communication from the University.

Hello, yes we do have a thread for discussing January 2023 applications. It isn't particularly active but you can find it here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7279404
I have sent you a private message with some CAS advice. Thanks for your patience on this.

- Matthew, Enquiry Team
Hi, looking amongst universities for a September 2023 place, University of Aberdeen being amongst the top of the list. :smile:

Currently studying my HNC in Business Management with Digital Marketing at Edinburgh College. I read the articulation guidelines surrounding advanced entry from college, and I read that I can gain articulation into Year 2 of MA Business Management N200 as long as I meet the conditions which were A in all graded units, plus satisfactory completion of my HNC.
Is this on a case-by-case basis or is this automatic eligibility? I'm on course to completing my HNC Business course (fingers crossed, still another semester to go...) and I'd ideally love to gain advanced entry into Year 2.

Another perhaps strange question, would it be odd to apply for two of the same subject at UoA? For example, Business Management, and then Business Management & International Relations? I don't really have much other destination universities I'd like to fill in for my five applications, although I can understand this might be risky as it means my personal statement might become very vague?
Original post by bobby_star
Hi, looking amongst universities for a September 2023 place, University of Aberdeen being amongst the top of the list. :smile:

Currently studying my HNC in Business Management with Digital Marketing at Edinburgh College. I read the articulation guidelines surrounding advanced entry from college, and I read that I can gain articulation into Year 2 of MA Business Management N200 as long as I meet the conditions which were A in all graded units, plus satisfactory completion of my HNC.
Is this on a case-by-case basis or is this automatic eligibility? I'm on course to completing my HNC Business course (fingers crossed, still another semester to go...) and I'd ideally love to gain advanced entry into Year 2.

Another perhaps strange question, would it be odd to apply for two of the same subject at UoA? For example, Business Management, and then Business Management & International Relations? I don't really have much other destination universities I'd like to fill in for my five applications, although I can understand this might be risky as it means my personal statement might become very vague?

Hello, just want to say first thank you for your interest in studying with us! For your first question there seems to be a lot of specific circumstances involved, so I would say that the best thing to do is to email our team who deal with HNC/HND entry into uni. Their email is [email protected] and they will be able to get you a better answer on this than I can!

As for your second question, we usually don't recommend you apply to two very similar courses at the same university as your applications would be assessed very similarly and you would either gain admission or be rejected to two courses at once, meaning it takes up two UCAS slots for essentially the same result. Of the courses you mention above, it might be advisable to apply for the joint honours course in two subjects as then you could look at the possibility of transferring once you had a place. Transfers are never guaranteed but within less competitive areas like Business, as opposed to Law or Medicine for example, it is more doable.
As for the personal statement, I think as long as you incorporate elements of each course you look to apply too, with maybe an overall lean towards your preferred subject, then you can create a pretty balanced personal statement. Unis definitely understand that this is a factor when writing a personal statement and will assess it with this in mind.

Know this is a bit long-winded but hope it helps and if you want to discuss further please let us know!

- Matthew, Enquiry Team
Of the courses you mention above, it might be advisable to apply for the joint honours course in two subjects as then you could look at the possibility of transferring once you had a place.

Thanks for the prompt reply! When you mention joint honours, would this for example be Business Management & International Relations and Business Management & Geography?
From what I gather from the quote above, it would be worth for me to try my hand at applying for those joint honours, but I can see how those example degrees above might be very similar.
Yes a joint-honours would be a degree involving studying two primary subjects which make up your degree, as opposed to studying elective subjects alongside your main degree subject. You can have a look at our list of joint-honours degrees in Business Management here if you would like: https://www.abdn.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/subject-areas/345/business-management/

We can't really advise exactly what degree you should apply for, and you're very welcome to apply to more than one joint honours. We would just say that applications to two very similar subjects from the same applicant would likely get a similar result. The two joint-honours you mention are a bit different, so it's very much your decision on applying to those if you are interested!

- Matthew, Enquiry Team
(edited 1 year ago)
Thanks for the prompt reply! When you mention joint honours, would this for example be Business Management & International Relations and Business Management & Geography?
From what I gather from the quote above, it would be worth for me to try my hand at applying for those joint honours, but I can see how those example degrees above might be very similar.

Sorry I forgot to reply, hope you get a notification now!

- Matthew, Enquiry Team
UCAS application done and dusted! Applied for MA Business Management for the September 2023 intake. :smile: I feel like my grades are far from what Aberdeen would like, but hopefully my determination to do the undergraduate course comes through with the fact that I'm now back in college to study business after years of employments in multiple companies.
I think my personal statement will be what makes or breaks my application, fingers crossed, absolutely bricking it at this point, but can't lie, very excited to see how it goes!
(edited 1 year ago)
UCAS application done and dusted! Applied for MA Business Management for the September 2023 intake. :smile: I feel like my grades are far from what Aberdeen would like, but hopefully my determination to do the undergraduate course comes through with the fact that I'm now back in college to study business after years of employments in multiple companies.
I think my personal statement will be what makes or breaks my application, fingers crossed, absolutely bricking it at this point, but can't lie, very excited to see how it goes!

So glad to hear you've done your application! If you want to discuss any more just let us know, but great to hear about the excitement and all the best to you!

- Matthew, Enquiry Team
Hi, I received an offer for Language and Linguistics and Spanish and Latin American studies a couple days ago, and I was just wondering about when the offer holder day will be?
I’m very eager to attend, as Aberdeen is my first choice! :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I received an offer for Language and Linguistics and Spanish and Latin American studies a couple days ago, and I was just wondering about when the offer holder day will be?
I’m very eager to attend, as Aberdeen is my first choice! :smile:

Hello, congrats on your offer and thank you for your interest in us! Our Offer Holder Day will be taking place on the 26th of April. If you've received an offer then details about signing up will have or will be sent out to you via email, so at this stage just keep an eye on your email! We do also offer campus visits where you have the option of getting a tour if you would like to visit us sooner, and you can have a look at those here: https://www.abdn.ac.uk/search/results.php?within=abdn&query=campus+visit
But when the Offer Holder Day rolls around it will include campus tours as well as a lot of other activities. Hope this is helpful and let us know if you would like to talk any further about this.

- Matthew, Enquiry Team

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending