The Student Room Group

Twitch affiliate taxes as a 17 year old.

Hi, So im an affilliate on the streaming platform twitch and i need to do my tax interview. The thing is im 17, so a minor. I live in the UK and i have a national insurance number but i have been told online that i need to use my parents tax info. I want to know whether my parent needs to claim my income on their taxes? and will it affect their current taxes? Theyre worried about it affecting their tax code and possibly deeming them self employed with a second source of income. The thing is, i have already done this interview a couple years ago, used my parents NIN, made about £77, and i got paid into my paypal account. I did this with my parents permission of course. But there was no issues with tax or anything?, i need some help please as i cant find any solid info.
Original post by LeviLM
Hi, So im an affilliate on the streaming platform twitch and i need to do my tax interview. The thing is im 17, so a minor. I live in the UK and i have a national insurance number but i have been told online that i need to use my parents tax info. I want to know whether my parent needs to claim my income on their taxes? and will it affect their current taxes? Theyre worried about it affecting their tax code and possibly deeming them self employed with a second source of income. The thing is, i have already done this interview a couple years ago, used my parents NIN, made about £77, and i got paid into my paypal account. I did this with my parents permission of course. But there was no issues with tax or anything?, i need some help please as i cant find any solid info.

I can't see why you'd use your parent's info rather than your own. This is your income, it's not your parents' income.

Who told you online that you'd need to use your parent's tax info?

It's possible that the taxman will see this is as being an additional source of income, and possibly as being self-employed too.

Can you update your info on the platform and give the correct name and NI number?
Original post by martin7
I can't see why you'd use your parent's info rather than your own. This is your income, it's not your parents' income.

Who told you online that you'd need to use your parent's tax info?

It's possible that the taxman will see this is as being an additional source of income, and possibly as being self-employed too.

Can you update your info on the platform and give the correct name and NI number?

Whoever told them this is likely American, their tax system is different there, and Twitch is very big in America.
Reply 3
Original post by LeviLM

How much did you make last tax year?

Your age is irrelevant, your parents also do not have any involvement.
even minors are liable for tax and it is your tax not your parents. The first £12k is at 0% tax but that is not the same as not liable for tax. You should not be messing up your parents tax affairs otherwise they will start paying tax on your earnings when you would not incur the same tax
Reply 5
Original post by Reue
How much did you make last tax year?

Your age is irrelevant, your parents also do not have any involvement.

Original post by ReadingMum
even minors are liable for tax and it is your tax not your parents. The first £12k is at 0% tax but that is not the same as not liable for tax. You should not be messing up your parents tax affairs otherwise they will start paying tax on your earnings when you would not incur the same tax

Hi, i appreciate the help, I didnt actually stream last year so none haha, i ended up doing some more research about being able to use my own insurance number and nothing said i couldnt, i also rang up a tax helpline called taxaid and spoke to a lady about it all and she informed me about PAYE and Trade Limits and she said as long as im making under £1000 a year i dont have to declare anything to HMRC, and that if i make more than that i have to declare it however im aware the first £12,500 is tax free. also my parents dont make any self employed type of money (money that would go in that trade limit bracket) so the woman said it would be fine either way. Currently all sorted out, used my own tax number and information so all seems to be good. Thanks again :biggrin:
Reply 6
I would like to add a question to this. I am in an identical situation to you but with the added bonus of having American citizenship. After extensive research, I have come to the conclusion that I don't have to pay taxes if I earn under £1000 in a tax year and if I earn over that, I pay the UK taxes to HMRC and if the US tax rates are higher, I pay the difference to them. Can someone confirm if this is correct?

Edit: the reddit post I used for information - https://www.reddit.com/r/UKPersonalFinance/comments/t3hv7f/us_citizen_twitch_streamer_moving_to_the_uk/
I know you can't trust everything on reddit so I want a second opinion. Does this sound right?
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending