The Student Room Group

CIFAS

Ok so, just under a year ago i had been blackmailed into giving away my card ( obviously to do fraud) or it would result in me getting harmed. I had just turned 18 and i was stressed so i just gave it away. Bare in mind i had been with NatWest. My account was then noticed of suspicious activity and eventually NatWest closed my account. They also closed my Halifax which they had used for fraud too. The fraudulent money didn’t go through and the cheques bounced back. Thank God😭. However I haven’t been able to open a NatWest,Lloyds or Halifax since. When I spoke to Lloyds over the phone they advised I try again between 6months-1yr. Still nothing with those 3. I have been scared shitless because of the thought of a cifas marker being held against me. I did try and open a HSBC and TSB account last night and they have both gone through which surprised me so im glad. I’ve also applied for a DSAR on cifas and should get a response in the next couple of days. I’ve gone onto experian and equifax and ClearScore to check my credit score also. None of them show any markers or registrations against me. I’m still waiting on a response directly from cifas. Until then, I need someone to calm me down lol. Do you guys think I should be fine?
Reply 1
Original post by yasmeeniindreas
Ok so, just under a year ago i had been blackmailed into giving away my card ( obviously to do fraud) or it would result in me getting harmed. I had just turned 18 and i was stressed so i just gave it away. Bare in mind i had been with NatWest. My account was then noticed of suspicious activity and eventually NatWest closed my account. They also closed my Halifax which they had used for fraud too. The fraudulent money didn’t go through and the cheques bounced back. Thank God😭. However I haven’t been able to open a NatWest,Lloyds or Halifax since. When I spoke to Lloyds over the phone they advised I try again between 6months-1yr. Still nothing with those 3. I have been scared shitless because of the thought of a cifas marker being held against me. I did try and open a HSBC and TSB account last night and they have both gone through which surprised me so im glad. I’ve also applied for a DSAR on cifas and should get a response in the next couple of days. I’ve gone onto experian and equifax and ClearScore to check my credit score also. None of them show any markers or registrations against me. I’m still waiting on a response directly from cifas. Until then, I need someone to calm me down lol. Do you guys think I should be fine?

You'll need to wait for the Cifas DSAR to come back -- fraud markers don't show on credit reference agency reports.

You probably won't be able to get accounts with Lloyds/Halifax/Bank of Scotland (which are a single banking group); or with NatWest/RBS/Ulster Bank (which are a different banking group).

It does happen that some banks appear to let you open an account -- but then change their minds and close it again once they've done a Cifas check. So the HSBC and TSB accounts you've just opened may get closed.
Sounds pretty likely things won't be fine tbh.

As above a CIfas won't show on your own credit checks and you'll need the DSAR to find out for sure, and likewise your new accounts may likely close soon when they complete the checks. (I suspect they do a lot of these checks in scheduled batches to save money/time). As you've noticed, banks won't confirm Cifas with you directly, they'll just fob you off.

You ask if we think things will be fine... but you seen v casual about having someone blackmail/threaten you to hand over your finances to do whatever with, then you seemed to just stop caring till they account closed? You didn't think to tell the bank or anyone else? What's to stop this person just taking the access to your next account? What info did you actually give them, as it's obv more than 1 bank card.
This seems like one to raise with the police, then go back to the original bank with evidence and the crime number to try and get it removed.
Reply 4
Still no shortage of CIFAS threads on here I see...

To be honest, no, you will probably struggle to get any financial product for the next 6 years, it will be very tough. The two accounts that have just been purportedly opened will probably be closed within a few days, the CIFAS API check is not always done immediately and it is common to have them shut down shortly after opening.

There have been some cases of people's accounts (usually vulnerable people) being hacked/controlled by a third party and used to as mule accounts, but it's pretty easy for a bank to identify this from their internal investigation (i.e. different IPs/devices, locations being used to sign in). If you had reported it to the police immediately and received a crime reference number then there's a chance you could appeal against the marker if you were genuinely threatened, but that might not work anyway to be honest.
Original post by martin7
You'll need to wait for the Cifas DSAR to come back -- fraud markers don't show on credit reference agency reports.

You probably won't be able to get accounts with Lloyds/Halifax/Bank of Scotland (which are a single banking group); or with NatWest/RBS/Ulster Bank (which are a different banking group).

It does happen that some banks appear to let you open an account -- but then change their minds and close it again once they've done a Cifas check. So the HSBC and TSB accounts you've just opened may get closed.

I'm 60 ,I never give my bank details to anyone, but somehow my bank has been hacked, and now I have a cifas marker against me , my life is ruined they closed my account down I tried opening others but they still turn me down, the stress and worry has made me ill, I have lost over 5 stone in weight , I can't get my wages from work, I've tried most online banking apps high street banks every single one turned me down , work policy is I can't use a family member account just for my wages, so now I have to give up working and go on uni credit .
Even they can't pay me through bank they say they pay be by voucher, to cash at post office. All because of these low lifes. They don't care who's life they ruin. I'll be retired before I can get a bank account now.
Original post by Jackie Williams
I'm 60 ,I never give my bank details to anyone, but somehow my bank has been hacked, and now I have a cifas marker against me , my life is ruined they closed my account down I tried opening others but they still turn me down, the stress and worry has made me ill , I constantly have suicidal thoughts, I have lost over 5 stone in weight , I can't get my wages from work, I've tried most online banking apps high street banks every single one turned me down , work policy is I can't use a family member account just for my wages, so now I have to give up working and go on uni credit .
Even they can't pay me through bank they say they pay be by voucher, to cash at post office. All because of these low lifes. They don't care who's life they ruin. I'll be retired before I can get a bank account now.

that sounds so awful.Is the bank that got hacked not able to help you sort this out?
Original post by Kutie Karen
that sounds so awful.Is the bank that got hacked not able to help you sort this out?

Still under investigation, because I can't open any form of bank accounts I now have to give up working.
Still under investigation, because I can't open any form of bank accounts I now have to give up working.

wow that is massive blow. Were all the bank customers hacked? how will you manage?
wow that is massive blow. Were all the bank customers hacked? how will you manage?

Don't know how I can manage , I can't think about anything else except trying to get the marker off , doctors put me on anti depressants now due to stress
Don't know how I can manage , I can't think about anything else except trying to get the marker off , doctors put me on anti depressants now due to stress

Oh no. How awful. contact the bank and ask them how many people's are affected by the hack. Surely you can't be the only one and their systems should be secure. You shouldn't have to suffer like this.
Oh no. How awful. contact the bank and ask them how many people's are affected by the hack. Surely you can't be the only one and their systems should be secure. You shouldn't have to suffer like this.

As far as I know it's just me but I don't think the bank would say if it's happened to anyone else.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending