The Student Room Group

Introduction to UK Financial regulations and professional integrity SCAM

Is this a scam course? Is it FCA recognised?
Original post by tooby12534
Is this a scam course? Is it FCA recognised?

Are you referring to this course offered by CIFA?

I see no evidence that it is a scam per se, but there are several reviews on-line which suggest that it might be quite poor value for money.

CIFA is not an FCA Approved Qualification Provider.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Are you referring to this course offered by CIFA?

I see no evidence that it is a scam per se, but there are several reviews on-line which suggest that it might be quite poor value for money.

CIFA is not an FCA Approved Qualification Provider.

I am worried about their trust pilot and other peoples reviews on Reddit!
They are all saying a recruitment company advised them to buy this course for a job in finance and the exact same thing happened to me. I have tried to search for more positive reviews but I cant seem to find any!
I need to be sure of what to do next because its 897 pounds their asking me to spend on a course.
Original post by tooby12534
I am worried about their trust pilot and other peoples reviews on Reddit!
They are all saying a recruitment company advised them to buy this course for a job in finance and the exact same thing happened to me. I have tried to search for more positive reviews but I cant seem to find any!
I need to be sure of what to do next because its 897 pounds their asking me to spend on a course.

Ignore the recruitment company. Look for job ads placed directly by end clients (i.e. the companies actually in the finance industry). Do any of them give the impression that having taken this course will enhance your standing with them in any way. If the answer is "No" (which it will be) then doing it will be both a waste of time and of money.
I've over 30 years in personal finance. Tell me what job are you actually looking for and I'll tell you the right sort of entry exam you should be thinking to take.
Reply 5
myfinancial careers.com IS DODGY EVERYONE:

1. I also got contacted by them out of the blue, in which I was confused about how they got my contact details. They claimed I had applied to them which I did not recall.
2. Then proceeded to interview you (with my ‘recuiter’ going under the name Amos Campbell) on the phone for around an hour, but stated they couldn't tell me the name of the company because of "contractual obligations".
3. Questions are very very basic, and then claim they love you as a candidate, and pretend to put you on hold to discuss your application.
4. This is when they bring up the qualification and how I would need the regulation in order to progress my application. And if you buy the course, they will progress your application
5. Unfortunately, I did buy the course, but luckily I came to my senses after doing further research online and consulting with others, to which I clocked this may be an intricate pressurised business practice.
6. I was able to apply for a refund directly CIFA as luckily I did not start the course and applied for the refund within the 14-day refund period. Luckily their customer service did respond quickly, but not surprisingly because legally I am allowed to have a refund.
7. The catch is that these ‘recruiters’ know this, and so heavily put pressure on you to start the course and to wait 4-6 weeks for a response from this company, in which by the time you have realised it is a scam, you can’t get your money back.
8. Reading other reviews on here, Reddit and other platforms, I see that people waited the 4-6 weeks and had poor or little-to-know communication with the ‘recruiter’ in which they came to find out that this is all an elaborate ploy - or maybe a form of a recruitment scam.

Additional notes:
I HEAVILY suspect that they work together with CIFA to pressure graduates into taking the course (fyi CIFA is not an FCA Approved Qualification Provider), so essentially is not a course you should be taking to further your career, you are much better taking a course from CFA or any other FCA approved courses.
This company was incorporated on 20th Sept 2023 (check the govuk website) and there is also not alot of email traffic to the site. For them to have so many negative reviews already in such a short space of time but at the same time claim to have contacts within the most prestigious companies in the industry screams something dodgy is going on here.

Overall, NO established recruiter will call you out of the blue and require you to purchase a course to be considered for a job/ progress to a certain stage. Unless it is employer-sponsored, don't spend anything on a course.
PLEASE TAKE CARE PEOPLE!

EDIT/UPDATE 19/03/2024: After writing this initial review, I have just gotten a threatening email from CIFA telling me to take down my review else legal action will be ensued. I see this is consistent of them to do to people who post bad reviews about them

What I find funny is that I was simply telling everyone my experience, there is nothing defamatory about this review

I also find it funny that this review was primarily about myfinancialcareers.com and not about CIFA, but yet I got a threatening email from CIFA. This affirms my belief that CIFA and myfinancial careers are somehow associated with each other to some degree, because why is CIFA concerned about my review about a completely ‘separate’ company or how did they even know that I wrote this review?

Original post by Roseytb
myfinancial careers.com IS DODGY EVERYONE:

1. I also got contacted by them out of the blue, in which I was confused about how they got my contact details. They claimed I had applied to them which I did not recall.
2. Then proceeded to interview you (with my ‘recuiter’ going under the name Amos Campbell) on the phone for around an hour, but stated they couldn't tell me the name of the company because of "contractual obligations".
3. Questions are very very basic, and then claim they love you as a candidate, and pretend to put you on hold to discuss your application.
4. This is when they bring up the qualification and how I would need the regulation in order to progress my application. And if you buy the course, they will progress your application
5. Unfortunately, I did buy the course, but luckily I came to my senses after doing further research online and consulting with others, to which I clocked this may be an intricate pressurised business practice.
6. I was able to apply for a refund directly CIFA as luckily I did not start the course and applied for the refund within the 14-day refund period. Luckily their customer service did respond quickly, but not surprisingly because legally I am allowed to have a refund.
7. The catch is that these ‘recruiters’ know this, and so heavily put pressure on you to start the course and to wait 4-6 weeks for a response from this company, in which by the time you have realised it is a scam, you can’t get your money back.
8. Reading other reviews on here, Reddit and other platforms, I see that people waited the 4-6 weeks and had poor or little-to-know communication with the ‘recruiter’ in which they came to find out that this is all an elaborate ploy - or maybe a form of a recruitment scam.

Additional notes:
I HEAVILY suspect that they work together with CIFA to pressure graduates into taking the course (fyi CIFA is not an FCA Approved Qualification Provider), so essentially is not a course you should be taking to further your career, you are much better taking a course from CFA or any other FCA approved courses.
This company was incorporated on 20th Sept 2023 (check the govuk website) and there is also not alot of email traffic to the site. For them to have so many negative reviews already in such a short space of time but at the same time claim to have contacts within the most prestigious companies in the industry screams something dodgy is going on here.

Overall, NO established recruiter will call you out of the blue and require you to purchase a course to be considered for a job/ progress to a certain stage. Unless it is employer-sponsored, don't spend anything on a course.
PLEASE TAKE CARE PEOPLE!

EDIT/UPDATE 19/03/2024: After writing this initial review, I have just gotten a threatening email from CIFA telling me to take down my review else legal action will be ensued. I see this is consistent of them to do to people who post bad reviews about them

What I find funny is that I was simply telling everyone my experience, there is nothing defamatory about this review

I also find it funny that this review was primarily about myfinancialcareers.com and not about CIFA, but yet I got a threatening email from CIFA. This affirms my belief that CIFA and myfinancial careers are somehow associated with each other to some degree, because why is CIFA concerned about my review about a completely ‘separate’ company or how did they even know that I wrote this review?

Well that all sounds dodgy AF.

Cheers for the warning.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending