The Student Room Group

FX-CG50 Worth It?

I have recently started my first year of A-level Maths and Further Maths along with Physics and Computer Science. Very soon, I shall need to purchase a new calculator.

My sixth form college is offering the FX-CG50 graphical calculator at a discounted price of £69.95 from the original price of £119.99 online.

Many of my fellow classmates have already purchased this calculator and have been using it in the recent weeks, and the class shall be taught with the assumption we are using one, so we shall also be taught how to use it as we go.

However, even at this discount, this is still a high price to pay for a calculator that looks confusing to use. Alternatively, I could spend £30 on the Classwiz FX-991EX which does everything I need it to without the additional functionality of the CG50.

I am unsure which calculator to purchase, as I feel I may be at a disadvantage if I buy the Classwiz.
Original post by Jake Yapp
I have recently started my first year of A-level Maths and Further Maths along with Physics and Computer Science. Very soon, I shall need to purchase a new calculator.

My sixth form college is offering the FX-CG50 graphical calculator at a discounted price of £69.95 from the original price of £119.99 online.

Many of my fellow classmates have already purchased this calculator and have been using it in the recent weeks, and the class shall be taught with the assumption we are using one, so we shall also be taught how to use it as we go.

However, even at this discount, this is still a high price to pay for a calculator that looks confusing to use. Alternatively, I could spend £30 on the Classwiz FX-991EX which does everything I need it to without the additional functionality of the CG50.

I am unsure which calculator to purchase, as I feel I may be at a disadvantage if I buy the Classwiz.

i have the cg50 and it was a great investment. it’s not as confusing as it seems after a while but it does take some getting used to. if paying for it is an issue don’t buy it. it was a hefty chunk for me and my family really isn’t wealthy (genuinely idk how my dad afforded it) and the rest of my college just uses a standard 991EX with teachers assuming everyone uses it so i’ve had to teach myself to find certain functions. If you can afford it, get it. if you can’t, don’t worry it’s not a necessity :smile:

if you're on a bursary you might be able to get it for free (like in my case). It's a brilliant calculator.

Personally I didn't think it was a great investment because I have it but I carry my old calculator with me and almost never use the cg50. I think it is a great calculator but it stops your maths from improving if you reply on it too much.

If money is not an issue then I recommend the CG50, I also purchased it when I was in A-Level for a discounted price and I do not regret my purchase. The graphing functionality is incredibly helpful and it makes statistics a breeze too.
However if you want to be frugal the CASIO FX-991EX aka the CLASSWIZ is rated by CASIO themselves to be sufficient for the A-Level curriculum.
Helpful graph: https://www.casio.co.uk/calculators/education/compare-aea27
I had many friends during my time at A level who had no issue keeping pace with the CLASSWIZ, you will be alright as long as you work hard, I guarantee. If you still struggle to make a choice, grab a friend's CG50 and play around with it for a bit for hands on experience if you like.
Side note: I wouldn't worry about the calculator being confusing, it's very intuitive and streamlined IMO. Some slightly more advanced functionality can be difficult at times, but after using it for 2 years (I am first year uni now), I now find it a breeze.
Original post by JohnDahmer1
if you're on a bursary you might be able to get it for free (like in my case). It's a brilliant calculator.

Same

Quick Reply

Latest