The Student Room Group

Casio fx-cg50

I do A level maths and i use the casio fx-991ex. i was thinking about getting the graphing calculator because it's good for graphs and stats. i asked my maths teacher and she said people rely on it too much and lose method marks in the exam. i'm eligible for bursary and can get the calculator for free, someone recommended to use both 991ex and cg50 in exams because it's hard to do normal working out in the graphing calculator. should i get the graphing calculator?
Reply 1
Original post by kaidodestroyer
I do A level maths and i use the casio fx-991ex. i was thinking about getting the graphing calculator because it's good for graphs and stats. i asked my maths teacher and she said people rely on it too much and lose method marks in the exam. i'm eligible for bursary and can get the calculator for free, someone recommended to use both 991ex and cg50 in exams because it's hard to do normal working out in the graphing calculator. should i get the graphing calculator?

Hi, I use both and if you’re able to get it for free I personally say you should, it helps me personally with stats like normal and binomial as long as you remember to put down what you’re doing on paper. But at the end of the day you don’t really need to get the graphical the other on can do just as well but one thing I like about the graphical personally is all your calculations stay on the screen unless you delete it so you can look over past calculations for example if you re read a question and see that you put the wrong number in you can go back and change it on the graphical instead having to type it in the calculator again which will save you a bit of time. Hope that helps, that’s just my experience with the two.
Original post by Favour_
Hi, I use both and if you’re able to get it for free I personally say you should, it helps me personally with stats like normal and binomial as long as you remember to put down what you’re doing on paper. But at the end of the day you don’t really need to get the graphical the other on can do just as well but one thing I like about the graphical personally is all your calculations stay on the screen unless you delete it so you can look over past calculations for example if you re read a question and see that you put the wrong number in you can go back and change it on the graphical instead having to type it in the calculator again which will save you a bit of time. Hope that helps, that’s just my experience with the two.
does the cg50 take time to get used to? do you use both calculators during your exam or just the cg50?
Reply 3
Original post by kaidodestroyer
does the cg50 take time to get used to? do you use both calculators during your exam or just the cg50?

I wouldn’t say it takes a long time to learn to use it’s similar to the other one but the normal and binomial imo are easier on the graphical and I think using graph mode is easy to learn but I think its longer to get used to as since your more used to the other one you’re more likely to reach for it and I did that too because I got the graphical a bit later. I personally use both in the exam I do more simple things on the normal one like logs and things like that and quick calculations and then if I think using the graphical would help I will like graph mode and doing long calculations but like I said they are kind of similar so sometimes when I need a calculator I can reach for either and use it like for an quadratic you can use both. If you want to get used to it you can restrict yourself to only using the graphical in lesson or for certain topic’s maybe trig or graphs and transformation. Some topics you won’t need to use it all for example me personally for mechanics SUVAT constant acceleration I just prefer the other one to the graphical. I know that’s a lot hope it was beneficial.
Original post by Favour_
I wouldn’t say it takes a long time to learn to use it’s similar to the other one but the normal and binomial imo are easier on the graphical and I think using graph mode is easy to learn but I think its longer to get used to as since your more used to the other one you’re more likely to reach for it and I did that too because I got the graphical a bit later. I personally use both in the exam I do more simple things on the normal one like logs and things like that and quick calculations and then if I think using the graphical would help I will like graph mode and doing long calculations but like I said they are kind of similar so sometimes when I need a calculator I can reach for either and use it like for an quadratic you can use both. If you want to get used to it you can restrict yourself to only using the graphical in lesson or for certain topic’s maybe trig or graphs and transformation. Some topics you won’t need to use it all for example me personally for mechanics SUVAT constant acceleration I just prefer the other one to the graphical. I know that’s a lot hope it was beneficial.

thanks man

Quick Reply

Latest