The Student Room Group

should I get the cg50 for a level maths?

I was wondering whether I should get the cg50, as it's very useful for applied maths, however I'm not sure wether it would be worth it as its usually recommended for fm students to buy
Original post by jasonsworld
I was wondering whether I should get the cg50, as it's very useful for applied maths, however I'm not sure wether it would be worth it as its usually recommended for fm students to buy

The main difference between the CG50 and the FX-991 is the calculator function.

I often use the FX-991 for any quick calculations and anything that I didn't need to verify using the graphing function. I mostly use the CG50 for the graphs (it's pretty cumbersome for calculations).
If you don't want the graphing function and you are confident that you can do all the graphs without using a calculator, then you're OK not to get it.
Reply 2
👋 Hey, I'm an A-level Maths student who decided not to get the CG-50, but all my friends taking Further Maths do have one.

It's really only recommended if you're taking Further Maths. I wouldn't recommend it to students using it for standard Maths because of its expensive price, and it's a little overkill. I have never heard somebody compare them in an Applied setting, what differences do you see?

I disagree with @MindMax2000 and believe that you can learn to use it very quickly, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Quick Reply

Latest