The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

MikeHarris
Agree that British charities come before ones working abroad. Sorry for being ruthless but I care more about british people then ones living elsewhere =/

Up to you where it goes, but ex-colonial powers like Britain are largely responsible for the massive economic and social poverty in much of Africa and south Asia.

It could be said that it was British people who stole land, dismantled existing industrial competition, incited ethnic tensions and exploited and often enslaved a populace far larger then their own for their own benefit, with genocide an unfortunate side effect.
Then, after finding we were not wanted to oppress the locals, we drew imaginary borders without regard to ethnic or religeous tensions, left massive tracts of land in a state of deprivation and political instability, without any regard but our trying to have a good image. But of course , we dont really mind too much, because we sure as hell made certain that we could nip down to primark to buy £3 jumpers, doesn't matter bout the 8 year old kid who worked crazy hours to make it, just to buy food.

I'd say we owed the 'ones living elsewhere' quite a debt. But thats just me.

I can appreciate the view that charity starts at home, but ffs life starts for a baby born in the wrong place only on the condition the he can have a drink of water.

Sorry guys, I shouldn't try to guilt trip you, and I'm being a bit prattish but it does irritate me that we chat about how best to donate money without appreciating how fortunate a position we are in that we can afford to give.
Reply 61
absolutely not! i do it all the time...
Reply 62
No. Most of the time animals reach such bad states because of humans being *******. If people think that it's wrong, don't give to animal charities and buy Fairtrade products or whatever. Simple. It doesn't affect you at all to know others are giving to animals.
Reply 63
yes.
Reply 64
Yuffie
What world are you living in? Maybe humans are horrible to you because you say retarded things like this. Would a lion stop and think before killing you? No. Would a human? Err....

How is it retarded? You're an example right there of why people pale in comparison to animals in the niceness stakes. The vast majority of people are NOT nice, humans aren't nice by nature, they're miserable sods. I've got far more time for animals who need help and who are entertaining and loving and generally awesome than for annoying little gits like yourself.
Reply 65
Human charities over animal charities any day of the week.

I'd be happy to give money and support to poor people, giving them the means to support themselves, and eat good decent food, which would include livestock, poultry and game. Meat in a diet is important.

Humans over animals doesn't even bear thought for consideration.
Reply 66
jacketpotato
Oxfam serves a more needy cause than Help The Aged, which was my point. So, does this make it immoral to donate to Help the Aged?

Immoral? what the hell i never said it was immoral, just personal preference. The fact that our government has system of taxation and a welfare state and actualy a resonable (ish) form of democracy means we are far better off. Thus as BigBadSaint pointed we are the ones who are able to donate.
Ill give my money to whoever and whatever I like.
Reply 68
abc101
How is it retarded? You're an example right there of why people pale in comparison to animals in the niceness stakes. The vast majority of people are NOT nice, humans aren't nice by nature, they're miserable sods. I've got far more time for animals who need help and who are entertaining and loving and generally awesome than for annoying little gits like yourself.

Yeah if I'm less entertaining than say, a sheep, I've got serious problems.
As for loving, are crocodiles who break into people's homes to kill them loving? No.
I'm an example of animals being nicer am I? Because I try to look after and care for humans instead? You're just a weirdo pal. Wouldn't want to be stuck next to you on an aeroplane.
BigBadSaint
Up to you where it goes, but ex-colonial powers like Britain are largely responsible for the massive economic and social poverty in much of Africa and south Asia.

It could be said that it was British people who stole land, dismantled existing industrial competition, incited ethnic tensions and exploited and often enslaved a populace far larger then their own for their own benefit, with genocide an unfortunate side effect.
Then, after finding we were not wanted to oppress the locals, we drew imaginary borders without regard to ethnic or religeous tensions, left massive tracts of land in a state of deprivation and political instability, without any regard but our trying to have a good image. But of course , we dont really mind too much, because we sure as hell made certain that we could nip down to primark to buy £3 jumpers, doesn't matter bout the 8 year old kid who worked crazy hours to make it, just to buy food.

I'd say we owed the 'ones living elsewhere' quite a debt. But thats just me.

I can appreciate the view that charity starts at home, but ffs life starts for a baby born in the wrong place only on the condition the he can have a drink of water.

Sorry guys, I shouldn't try to guilt trip you, and I'm being a bit prattish but it does irritate me that we chat about how best to donate money without appreciating how fortunate a position we are in that we can afford to give.

I see your point but all the things you outlined are things done without my consent. I wasn't around and I dont like the idea that I should have a debt to people from other countries Ive never visited or been involved with. Following your logic should the germans be paying out cash to the jews for example or the countries invaded by the nazis? You argue a reasonable point though I just dont agree with it
Reply 70
Yuffie
Yeah if I'm less entertaining than say, a sheep, I've got serious problems.
As for loving, are crocodiles who break into people's homes to kill them loving? No.
I'm an example of animals being nicer am I? Because I try to look after and care for humans instead? You're just a weirdo pal. Wouldn't want to be stuck next to you on an aeroplane.

Nor would I you. You're a miserable sod.

Crocodiles don't 'break into people's homes to kill them,' you idiot, they don't think, 'Ooh yes, I'll commit murder today' - but, oh wait, people do. People murder, and rape, and abuse, and steal, and hurt, when we all know the difference between right and wrong. Animals don't. Animals don't consciously set out to hurt anyone out of malice, people do, every day.
How do you know animals are nicer than humans? Like you say, they can't vocalise their feelings either way.

Anyone who values animal life above those of their fellow humans is wrong, in my opinion.
If people really cared about animals and their welfare, they wouldn't keep them as pets in the first place.
Reply 72
abc101
Nor would I you. You're a miserable sod.

Crocodiles don't 'break into people's homes to kill them,' you idiot, they don't think, 'Ooh yes, I'll commit murder today' - but, oh wait, people do. People murder, and rape, and abuse, and steal, and hurt, when we all know the difference between right and wrong. Animals don't. Animals don't consciously set out to hurt anyone out of malice, people do, every day.

OHHH hang on, that's alright then! If a crocodile wants to rip a baby's head off, it's completely fine. As animals are "loving" right? Answer me this, big shot. If animals can't be malicious then how can they be loving?
ZOINK!
Even though I believe charity is pretty pointless, humans are more deserving than animals. Except bad people. They can rot in Hell, and deserve only as much as farm animals.
MikeHarris
I see your point but all the things you outlined are things done without my consent. I wasn't around and I dont like the idea that I should have a debt to people from other countries Ive never visited or been involved with. Following your logic should the germans be paying out cash to the jews for example or the countries invaded by the nazis? You argue a reasonable point though I just dont agree with it

I have a bit of a problem with this whole nationalistic people-in-my-country thing.

Why does a man who you have never met and who you are not related to warrant more consideration simply because he comes from Newcastle rather than Paris?

android89
Immoral? what the hell i never said it was immoral, just personal preference. The fact that our government has system of taxation and a welfare state and actualy a resonable (ish) form of democracy means we are far better off. Thus as BigBadSaint pointed we are the ones who are able to donate.

You said "I think its wrong that the RSPC receives millions of pounds in donations where as say a charity like Age Concerned receive a fraction of that".
So, I will rephrase my question without using the word immoral.
Oxfam serves a more needy cause than Help The Aged. So, does this make it wrong to donate to Help the Aged?
Reply 75
Liquidus Zeromus
Even though I believe charity is pretty pointless, humans are more deserving than animals. Except bad people. They can rot in Hell, and deserve only as much as farm animals.

Deserve only as much as farm animals? Why the hell should a cow be treated worse than a murderer, or a rapist?
Reply 76
Yuffie
OHHH hang on, that's alright then! If a crocodile wants to rip a baby's head off, it's completely fine. As animals are "loving" right? Answer me this, big shot. If animals can't be malicious then how can they be loving?
ZOINK!

I hate retards who think they're clever.

Animals can do no evil. I'm not going to get into a religious and philosophical discussion here, because it's neither the time nor place, but being incapable of evil does not make an animal incapable of loving, quite the opposite in fact.
Yuffie
ZOINK!

Is philia really a function of morality? I'm not sure why it would be.
abc101
Deserve only as much as farm animals? Why the hell should a cow be treated worse than a murderer, or a rapist?

What do cows deserve, except semi-humane treatment before their processing as food? YUM
Reply 79
abc101
I hate retards who think they're clever.

Animals can do no evil. I'm not going to get into a religious and philosophical discussion here, because it's neither the time nor place, but being incapable of evil does not make an animal incapable of loving, quite the opposite in fact.

You have no proof for this.

Latest

Trending

Trending