The Student Room Group

Stats for Dentistry

I want to apply to Dentistry next year (2024 entry) and I’m wondering if my GCSE 4 in German would weigh down my options. I already surpass the minimum requirements for all universities, but I’m worried about whether this will weigh down my application.

My GCSE results are: 9998887774

I’ve also ensured that I’m getting enough dentistry work experience, I’ve completed virtual experience during peak COVID time and I have already done 2 weeks so far. (In separate dental practices). I have also planned to do another week in the holidays (which has already been confirmed)

Also started to volunteering at a hospital and a charity shop. Should I be doing anything more? Is my low 4 grade a cause of concern?
Original post by Caaaaaats129
I want to apply to Dentistry next year (2024 entry) and I’m wondering if my GCSE 4 in German would weigh down my options. I already surpass the minimum requirements for all universities, but I’m worried about whether this will weigh down my application.

I’ve also ensured that I’m getting enough dentistry work experience, I’ve completed virtual experience during peak COVID time and I have already done 2 weeks so far. (In separate dental practices). I have also planned to do another week in the holidays (which has already been confirmed)

Also started to volunteering at a hospital and a charity shop. Should I be doing anything more? Is my low 4 grade a cause of concern?

Most look at your top 8 GCSEs only so you are good (including maths english science). I would also avoid applying to GCSE intensive unis line Kings college london
Original post by kk15405
Most look at your top 8 GCSEs only so you are good (including maths english science). I would also avoid applying to GCSE intensive unis line Kings college london

Thank you! Are my GCSE’s considered bad or below average in the grand scheme of things or is it because of my single 4 in German?
Now I’m worried 😭
Thank you! Are my GCSE’s considered bad or below average in the grand scheme of things or is it because of my single 4 in German?

my sister got into dentistry with 9999877766 and is studying at barts and the london. most unis don't look at gcses (even for dentistry) beyond the minimum requirements (usually like a 6 in maths and english). most unis select candidates for interview (and then offer) based on their UCAT score (an admissions test u take for dentistry)
What work experience/volunteering did your sister do?
Original post by kk15405
my sister got into dentistry with 9999877766 and is studying at barts and the london. most unis don't look at gcses (even for dentistry) beyond the minimum requirements (usually like a 6 in maths and english). most unis select candidates for interview (and then offer) based on their UCAT score (an admissions test u take for dentistry)
Reply 6

which dental practices was it could u give the name please? i've been trying to find one that allows work experience i cant find any
Reply 7

I got in with a 4 in French but shouldn't you have more GCSEs? I had 99988877664 but you have 1 more 7 than me so ur good.
Reply 8
Original post by kk15405

Also just saw this I got into KCL for dent w my 4 in French! It's nothing to stress about the thought didnt even come to me when applying. As long as your Maths English Science grades are high you're fine.
Reply 9
Original post by drdent
Also just saw this I got into KCL for dent w my 4 in French! It's nothing to stress about the thought didnt even come to me when applying. As long as your Maths English Science grades are high you're fine.

Are you doing any foundation year? How are your GCSEs in other subjects other than Maths English Science (not French)? KCL literally ranks your best GCSEs for medicine/dentistry, so unless you are a contextual or on a foundation year programme then you need at least 7 GCSEs at Grade 8/9 to be competitive tbh
Reply 10
Original post by kk15405
Are you doing any foundation year? How are your GCSEs in other subjects other than Maths English Science (not French)? KCL literally ranks your best GCSEs for medicine/dentistry, so unless you are a contextual or on a foundation year programme then you need at least 7 GCSEs at Grade 8/9 to be competitive tbh

No foundation year
9 Biology Physics Maths
8 English Lit & Lang and RE
7 Chemistry Citizenship
6 Computer Science History
4 French
Reply 11
Original post by drdent
No foundation year
9 Biology Physics Maths
8 English Lit & Lang and RE
7 Chemistry Citizenship
6 Computer Science History
4 French

yh 6 grade 9s/8s including maths english and bio chem so you had a fairly decent application
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 12
has anyone found lab / hospital dentistry work experience??

Quick Reply

Latest